• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

oil change

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Wow, this is crazy. I've never seen a company change an oil spec to make it EASIER for us to get oil. Hoping it isn't a mistake.

One thing that makes this really surprising to me is that the 5w30 weight has less pumping losses than the 5w40 weight. These trucks were test by the EPA and have EPA fuel mileage estimates based on 5w30 oil. High efficiency motor oil is required on most modern gasoline engines too.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
My question is when is fca going to have a service bulletin go out to all owners? And what if someone prefers to run the old 5w30 Ms11106 oil? I found an oil I like and stock at home, so why should I change to 5w40 now?

Reactions: SLT

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
I don't believe this. All the trouble I went through to find the right Oil and have some on hand and now this.
Rotella is more available to me and also cheaper.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I had the craziest conversation with fca today and proved that dealers don't know what in the bleep they are doing. Check out the psa oil spec thread @cevans started

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
And I actually had a dealership service technician give FCA customer service the WRONG information. Could there possibly be a better way to explain to FCA that their dealers are all too frequently incorrect?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
No, if the current revision of the owners manual and the online information provided to dealers stated for them or us as owners that you can run:

• 5w30 low ash and low saps full synthetic oil meeting FCA MS-11106

• OR

• 5w40 mopar or shell rotella meeting MS10902 and is API CJ-4

If this were the case I would not say that we or they are wrong in using the 5w30. But everything from fca has completely eliminated 5w30 and MS-11106. It's not an option, it's gone. Completely.

The only remnants are sitting in our trucks with old service manuals and when MOPAR SERVICE TECHNICIANS use non FCA service catalogs such as "allparts" that has not been updated to follow FCA requirements.

Essentially I bring my truck to the dealership and have service do an oil change he'll use his non FCA service and put in Pennzoil euro 5w30 because he's a creature of habit and using his own trusted software.

Now if I go to service to purchase mopar oil and a filter to do my own oil change where the parts Representative is specifically using FCA software he's going to walk out with shell rotella t6 5w40 from behind the parts counter and say here you go; this is the ONLY part that Chrysler lists for your oil. Cj4 and MS10902 compliant (though t6 hasn't updated their label)

So with that being said I am pretty sure that "incorrect" is the proper term. It's just everyone on the service side is blind with an updated service database but nothing else to indicate a change.

FCA needs to issue a TSB and get everyone up to speed on whatever this change is exactly and why.

Bobby Ingram

Jul 30, 2016
Truck Year
As reported - Cummins thoughts. That does have two fuel filters, unlike the Ecodiesel. It also uses conventional 15-40 diesel oil. me about $

Curious. I buy aftermarket filters for less than $20. A case of Kendall costs $75 shipped in. That also gives me some extra oil I can carry with me. It just may be the simplest and easiest oil change in the automative world to do yourself. Costs me about $90 and little more than 1/2 an hour.

Do it yourself.
Fuel Filter Life Reset The cluster will display the “Service Fuel Filter” message when the fuel filter maintenance life is less than 5%. To check the remaining fuel filter life, go to the “Fuel Filter Life” screen in the “Vehicle Info” menu. When this message appears, dealers should replace both frame mounted and engine mounted fuel filters.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Fuel Filter Life Reset The cluster will display the “Service Fuel Filter” message when the fuel filter maintenance life is less than 5%. To check the remaining fuel filter life, go to the “Fuel Filter Life” screen in the “Vehicle Info” menu. When this message appears, dealers should replace both frame mounted and engine mounted fuel filters.
One, this is an oil change thread.

Two, the ecodiesel does not have a fuel filter life recorded by the computer nor does it have two fuel Filters.

That is not this vehicle

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year

You got me totally baffled by your expertise statement in your first post. Could you explain how to get to this Fuel Filter life screen?

Bobby Ingram

Jul 30, 2016
Truck Year
One, this is an oil change thread.

Two, the ecodiesel does not have a fuel filter life recorded by the computer nor does it have two fuel Filters.

That is not this vehicle
The 2016 RAM Diesel supplement OWNER’S MANUAL 2016 2016 RAM Truck diesel supplement page 165

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
If you'd kindly look at the header page information for the 2500 and 3500 pickups start on page 127. That is not for the half ton ecodiesel as I stated before. A different vehicle

Screenshot_20160730-205331.png

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The 2016 RAM Diesel supplement OWNER’S MANUAL page 165.
Next time you respond with contradictory information please do not feel the need to spam the forum 4 times with the same response.

Thanks in advance