• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil In Coolant

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Purchased truck 6 days ago, after reading this forum I checked my coolant this morning and it's black with reddish purple hue. (not just a sheen, but black)
Called dealer who told me to return truck which I did. While talking with the service dept and salesman and general manager I spoke of this forum and the wealth of information contained here and spoke of the potential faulty welds or potential chemical reaction from the coolant with the welds. I at least didn't sound like a total idiot.
The drive back to dealership all temperatures were in the norm and the oil pressure looked okay as well. 40-45 mph coolant 204, pressure 33psi oil temp 206. Ran fine.
Dealer supplied me a free loaner 2016 Ram 1500 lariat. ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED..

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Purchased truck 6 days ago, after reading this forum I checked my coolant this morning and it's black with reddish purple hue. (not just a sheen, but black)
Called dealer who told me to return truck which I did. While talking with the service dept and salesman and general manager I spoke of this forum and the wealth of information contained here and spoke of the potential faulty welds or potential chemical reaction from the coolant with the welds. I at least didn't sound like a total idiot.
The drive back to dealership all temperatures were in the norm and the oil pressure looked okay as well. 40-45 mph coolant 204, pressure 33psi oil temp 206. Ran fine.
Dealer supplied me a free loaner 2016 Ram 1500 lariat. ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED..

Sorry to hear of the bad luck. Was the truck new when purchased? We've had a lot of member with oil cooler failures but it seemed like it was mostly 2014's.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Sorry to hear of the bad luck. Was the truck new when purchased? We've had a lot of member with oil cooler failures but it seemed like it was mostly 2014's.
purchased used. Murphy's Law and me go way back! The wife saw this truck and instantly fell in love with it. I still have the factory warranty plus I purchased the extended plan 5 yr or 75K miles.

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
purchased used. Murphy's Law and me go way back! The wife saw this truck and instantly fell in love with it. I still have the factory warranty plus I purchased the extended plan 5 yr or 75K miles.
I tried to purchase the extended warranty, but the guy says it is not available for the ecodiesel model, only gas !
bought new 2015 model

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I tried to purchase the extended warranty, but the guy says it is not available for the ecodiesel model, only gas !
bought new 2015 model

That's not true. That would of been a huge red flag for me with your dealer (assuming you tried to purchase it through your dealer).

sbanks

Oct 30, 2016
Truck Year
It isn't true. I don't know why your dealer would have told you that. I don't know what recourse you have either unless you have something in writing stating that the truck didn't qualify for an extended warranty.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
bought new 2015 model
I kid you not I have one, got it through the dealership.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Oil cooler replaced system flushed. Cautiously took on trip 2239 miles going from W.I. to Jersey shore via 80 & 76. Average speed 69 mph coolant fluid remained purple. Running temps were well within nominal ranges, oil pressure was fine as well. Average fuel economy was 27.6 mpg! Dealership stepped up and really came through.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Should there be concern of early engine failure because of this?
They tell me "NO", but that being said I have extended warranty's which makes me feel a wee bit better. Time will only tell, the truck is running great at this point. My big head ache at this point are my step bars from Ionic, the bars themselves are very sweet but they screwed the pooch on my order with the mounting brackets. It's like pulling teeth to get them to resend the correct ones.. The snow up here is making it difficult on me getting in the truck, I slipped and landed in the Piggly Wiggly lot. Unhurt only a bruised ego and soaked ass.

mycvoharley

Dec 6, 2016
Truck Year
bought new 2015 model
The lifetime warranty is not available for any diesel. But the extended warranty is.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
IMO FCA knows this is a problem. You can BUY the whole oil cooler & oil filter assembly WITH a new filter, cap and everything for $158! These are typically $500+ assemblies!!!

I think FCA is making the part cheap hoping that owners don't complain about the repair. This happens all over the automotive industry, a part is added to a "campaign" designed to push repairs through without people asking questions.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Another question for Mr. Cevans; Is the replacement part improved? and what's the part number? Thanks.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
IMO FCA knows this is a problem. You can BUY the whole oil cooler & oil filter assembly WITH a new filter, cap and everything for $158! These are typically $500+ assemblies!!!

I think FCA is making the part cheap hoping that owners don't complain about the repair. This happens all over the automotive industry, a part is added to a "campaign" designed to push repairs through without people asking questions.
Have a link to this? I'd pick up a spare at that price just for when and if!