• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil leak

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
Well I've got another problem. I have a small oil leak coming somewhere from underneath the oil filter. I thought at first maybe when I changed the oil I just spilled some but after washing the area twice and having to add a half a quart I know it's leaking. There is a small plastic part underneath the oil filter that looks like it may possibly have and o-ring but not 100% sure if that's where it's coming from I have laid underneath the for periods of time win it running and not running and can't find it, clean it spot less and the next morning there will be oil in the driveway and on the front differential. I'm at a loss all I have left is the 100,000 mile warranty and useless dealer. I think I'm just going to trade this thing off 40,000 miles into this truck and it's got more miles vertically than horizontally if you know what I mean.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
This is a picture of where I sorta narrowed it down to. This is underneath the oil filter housing. Where the plastic enters the aluminum is where is did see a drop at one time. Anyone know what this part is.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
70161229b097e6ae220ba84b7173cbf5.jpg

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
hey nutt, you are still under warranty, this housing is one unit and is $750. The gaskets are all not serviceable. I mean the dealer does not carry one for the oil cooler or the entire housing. So get it changed now, Mine is being completely torn apart and reengineered for aftermarket parts right now, But the big question is whos changing your oil? ill bet it isnt you, And im absolutely sure your dealer kid is taking your cap off way too fast and oil is spilling out, which is super stupid and getting all the dirty oil into your clean side. I made a video about it last week. Im pretty sure your not leaking oil out of a gasket, wash it all off and watch it. Nothing to trade it off for.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
moparecodiesel you may be right, I may not even have a leak I've watched it all day and I can't find anything. Drove it 30 plus miles and parked it in my shop watched it for about 2 hours nothing then drove around town running errands checked it at each stop nothing, then drove home 30 miles watched it for about 3 hours and nothing but I did find a place on the frame that must be holding the oil that I'm ashamed to say I spilled. I have washed it twice since I changed the oil and had to add a 1/2 quart is why I was almost positive it had a leak but one thing I've learned is you just can't check the dipstick in this truck after a few minutes of not running. I checked it periodically every 15 minutes and it was slowly gaining on the dipstick after about 2 1/2 hours and the oil temp around 100 I may have 1/2 a quart too much now. Also I learned not to let the daughter's cat in the shop when I change oil.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
Update I thoroughly cleaned it yesterday, 1 can of brake cleaner and a steam clean watched it for 2 hours no drips ran it no drips. This morning I went and checked it clean no drips cranked it gave it 10 minutes and there it was right where I thought it was , what is this and it acts like when it gets hot the thing seals off and when it's cold the seal leaks.
cfd380038c3ed5242d2bf120e546e8ab.jpg

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Let me get home and look at your pic on my computer. D&J has my oil filter housing and cooler all torn apart and they are making a bunch of parts for it chrysler does not and will not stock, so keep me updated with your findings and ill try to help you out

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
Moparecodiesel , I watched your video pretty much did exactly as you did minus the daughter's nosy cat. I'm at the dealer now , tech says he found the leak in the same place , did say it was a replaceable part oring and all cost around $80 but will cover under power train. He said it was a bleeder used if you were have some particular issue with the injectors that is if I understood him correctly.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Awesome man, ok so it was the weird plastic part, I'll try to show that in a video, that's the only gasket that you can buy because it's standard o-rings.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
yeah ok nutt, that plastic tube thing links both the return and send together in the oil filter housing, we diddnt play around too much with that thing because we were playing around with the oil cooler design, but the first thing we all said is thats not going to last very long, whatever that does.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
Mopardiesel is there anything I could have done wrong changing the oilfilter that would cause this, since they are only changing this part. There was a small plastic part that came out when I wiped it out but it wasn't broke in anyway and I just snapped it back it never thought anything else about it. I assume it was either the send or return but like I said wasn't broke and it just went right back in. I never mentioned this at the dealer. This truck is a lot more complicated than my 03 cummins

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yeah that little cap will leak if it's removed. I emphasize don't wipe anything out or touch anything because I'm finding all the plastic pieces are getting fragile over time and I think the dealer kids might be breaking the bypass valve and drainback valve on some of the engine failures as the truck is driven out of the dealer after oil changes.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
I guess I need to ask the tech to look at this then can't see how it would cause a leak at this particular place. Oil pressure is fine and seems to only leak when engine is started at ambient temp, then stops when I assume the o ring swells at least that's my theory. I really don't want to keep having a leak after they replace this part due to something wrong topside at the filter. Thanks for all your help and insight. I'll keep you informed

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
Mopardiesel my curiosity got the best of me. I had to see for myself if I had done anything top side on the inside of the filter housing the small black plastic part underneath the filter that came out when I was changing the filter was fine but the o ring on the bottom was broke. I got another o ring from the parts house and put it back in. I immediately noticed a very small increase in oil pressure at start up and idle went from 19-23. This was Thursday evening when I did this,so far not a sign of a leak. I am still going to have them replace the part that was leaking I'd be an idiot not to ,I've never seen an o ring fix its self and if it ever leaks it'll leak again
9f7a3968d9c6b4124f177e77d13f8989.jpg

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yeah Nutt, your getting very close to what I'm thinking is the problem with these coolers, I think all the gaskets in the housing and cooler are cheap and falling apart from heat. I would like to swap out one of my good coolers with someone's failed one for testing

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
Ok mopardiesel I finally got the part installed today. The tech said he didn't see anything out of the ordinary, it had two o rings both were still intact but one was flatter than than the other. The thing is it hasn't leaked a drop since I replaced the other o ring on the black plastic part inside the filter housing nearly 2 weeks ago. I don't fully understand how these two parts are related but they have to be in someway. The tech said I couldn't have the old part it had to be sent into be checked by Chrysler since it was warranty work, I wanted to keep it since it wasn't cracked just in case the other went bad later on out of warranty. Anyway just thought I'd let you know, and thanks again for all your helpful information.

Tom Raymo

Jul 23, 2018
Truck Year
Hi Nutt,
I know this is an old thread, but my ecodiesel is leaking in the same spot as yours. Right where the plastic tube goes into the aluminum. Did the dealer end up pulling the plastic piece out and replacing the o-rings? Has the leak came back?
Thanks,
Tom