• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OVER HEATING

JohnnyMac

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
Bought my 2016 brand new. It has 56K miles. In the past couple of years, I haven't driven it as much as you all do, mainly because I put 55K of those miles on in the first couple of years I owned it. I took it in for the ED settlement tuneup and it's been sitting ever since. The first time I got in to use it, it overheated for the first time ever. Nothing that I've read here is encouraging. :eek:(
It should be under warranty so call the dealer and let them have at it.

carlrmartin10

Aug 7, 2020
Truck Year
I see quite a few post about high engine oil temp issues, also most all of the after market oil coolers are no longer available.
I see no real answer why the engine oil is over heating. I just purchased a travel trailer (6700 lbs.) to tow with my 2015 Ram 1500 with 23,000 miles on it.
The truck has had the re-called oil cooler replaced along with all the other recalls.
Now I'm concerned that this truck will self destruct with these high temps (OIL 272) (COOLENT 248) (TRANS 240) this was on a 6% grade doing 45 mph for about 6 miles.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Bought my 2016 brand new. It has 56K miles. In the past couple of years, I haven't driven it as much as you all do, mainly because I put 55K of those miles on in the first couple of years I owned it. I took it in for the ED settlement tuneup and it's been sitting ever since. The first time I got in to use it, it overheated for the first time ever. Nothing that I've read here is encouraging. :eek:(
Brother you should be inline for the EGR Cooler recall. Get on the list at a dealer you trust. The EGR cooler leaks one of two ways, internally or externally, but both end up with overheating and coolant loss. Then tune it afterward, you will be amazed at the difference 20 or so HP and 40 to 50 ft/lbs of torque do for this engine along with transmission tune.

Highmarkmiked

Aug 21, 2020
Truck Year
So this happened Sept 7. Truck running fine, all temps normal, get a check engine light, start looking for a place to pull over on busy hwy, smoke starts to flow into cab, get it pulled over, try to pop hood, flames licking out the cracks, get the hood open, empty small extinguisher into burning motor, good patron stops and empties large extinguisher into engine bay, doesnt touch it. After trying to get as much out of the truck as possible, and disconnecting my trailer hoping somehow I could separateIMG_0943.jpg, (not really thinking, more panic at that point) watched my pride and joy burn to the ground. Was waiting on the egr recall from dealer. Was in the shop 3 weeks ago for a random check engine light which they said there was no code. Spoke to them specifically about the recall and they told me they would let me know when one came in. Truck was a 2015 with 52k and not a scratch..........waiting to see what insurance is going to value it at.IMG_0943.jpg

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
So this happened Sept 7. Truck running fine, all temps normal, get a check engine light, start looking for a place to pull over on busy hwy, smoke starts to flow into cab, get it pulled over, try to pop hood, flames licking out the cracks, get the hood open, empty small extinguisher into burning motor, good patron stops and empties large extinguisher into engine bay, doesnt touch it. After trying to get as much out of the truck as possible, and disconnecting my trailer hoping somehow I could separateView attachment 3079, (not really thinking, more panic at that point) watched my pride and joy burn to the ground. Was waiting on the egr recall from dealer. Was in the shop 3 weeks ago for a random check engine light which they said there was no code. Spoke to them specifically about the recall and they told me they would let me know when one came in. Truck was a 2015 with 52k and not a scratch..........waiting to see what insurance is going to value it at.View attachment 3079
Please fill out a NHTSA report for this incident. My EGR recall notice went to great lengths to state that this was a "voluntary recall" due to "the low rate of occurrence" of engine compartment fires. It is deplorable that a company as large as FCA would announce a recall in April and my parts arrived and installed the first week of August, with many more, like you, waiting for parts. With more documented reports of engine compartment fires this will advance to a Mandatory recall and the NHTSA will dictate a time frame for compliance, not a "when you get time" attitude.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Please fill out a NHTSA report for this incident. My EGR recall notice went to great lengths to state that this was a "voluntary recall" due to "the low rate of occurrence" of engine compartment fires. It is deplorable that a company as large as FCA would announce a recall in April and my parts arrived and installed the first week of August, with many more, like you, waiting for parts. With more documented reports of engine compartment fires this will advance to a Mandatory recall and the NHTSA will dictate a time frame for compliance, not a "when you get time" attitude.

The EGR replacement will only slow down the rate of fires, The longer you own Time, and the more miles (More soot) into the plenum the greater the risk of fire. the mixing of coolant and soot is only speeding up plenum melting and failure = Fires.