• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Overheating

Ian

Mar 12, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2015 Eco diesel with 21,000 km on it and I was driving in the mountains a bit near nordegg and noticed my engine temps getting warm 244 for coolant and oil but this truck has been running very warm since I bought it so I didn't worry too much until the message came on the dash and said engine too hot so I pulled over right away and popped the hood. I noticed that the fan wasn't running at all and there was a noticeable ticking noise coming from underneath the black cover that's over the top of the engine more on the passenger side and that's a new sound. The check engine light also came on so I shut it off and let it cool. I have a code reader so I plugged it in and got a code P05F3 but I can't find out what that references anywhere? Any ideas? I'm assuming my fan is pooched because it's not running but once it cooled down I made it back to Calgary no problem temps were normal but that ticking noise concerns me. Anyone have any ideas? I appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:

Ian

Mar 12, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks sir,

I'll post what they say, but my experience with them hasn't been stellar thus far, saying codes erase themselves once they clear. It's since cleared itself but my code reader still shows it there so we'll see.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Your code is not valid. All of dodge's code usually start with P and the rest numbers. Is it possible you have a led segment burn so that the F is a number. On my app you need to select dodge, any others and you will get wrong code. I also have the Edge that will give me the details, however I need to have that fault to get that info, I think. I check later, if that is so.

At 230F or hotter, you should be hearing the fan, if not, then you have a fan issue and get the dealer to look into it. I hardly ever see it go over 220 F, even with winter covers fully closed with temperatures 10 Celsius or colder. There is a cooling issue since you had the truck. Need to get dealer to take a thorough look into it.

I know the area you drove and have driven all of the rockies and never had issue with temperatures when not towing 6000 lbs or so. With my edge, I have alert alarms set for EGT's, coolant, oil temperature, etc. Your temperatures are not normal. I'm in Calgary.

Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Your code is not valid. All of doge's code usually start with P and the rest numbers. Is it possible you have a led segment burn so that the F is a number. On my app you need to select dodge, any others and you will get wrong code. I also have the Edge that will give me the details, however I need to have that fault to get that info, I think. I check later, if that is so.

Good catch.

Ian

Mar 12, 2016
Truck Year
Your code is not valid. All of dodge's code usually start with P and the rest numbers. Is it possible you have a led segment burn so that the F is a number. On my app you need to select dodge, any others and you will get wrong code. I also have the Edge that will give me the details, however I need to have that fault to get that info, I think. I check later, if that is so.

At 230F or hotter, you should be hearing the fan, if not, then you have a fan issue and get the dealer to look into it. I hardly ever see it go over 220 F, even with winter covers fully closed with temperatures 10 Celsius or colder. There is a cooling issue since you had the truck. Need to get dealer to take a thorough look into it.

I know the area you drove and have driven all of the rockies and never had issue with temperatures when not towing 6000 lbs or so. With my edge, I have alert alarms set for EGT's, coolant, oil temperature, etc. Your temperatures are not normal. I'm in Calgary.[

Ian

Mar 12, 2016
Truck Year
Yeah I agree it's too high but when I asked the dealer they said its normal. I know the fan definitely isn't working, I'm just worried that I've done damage because I don't think my fan ever worked. That code came from an Innova 3100 code reader so I'm not sure I did select dodge. I appreciate the feedback I'm going to take it back to the dealer and be more forceful

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
It isn't normal. The fact that you had to pull over, cool down, no fan, any half decent mechanic wouldn't say it normal. If they still won't help, go to FCA online and send them a message about what happening.

Ian

Mar 12, 2016
Truck Year
Will do, this truck has had a few quirks since I traded my hemi in, check engine lights come on 3 times so far, I'm starting to regret trading it. When it runs its smooth and a nice ride but they seem fragile and the dealer mechanics don't seem to understand how to work on them, they're dismissive and don't seem confident in their answers. I need this truck to last me awhile. Have you done any modifications to yours so far?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
No mods, nor do I think, it a good idea to do so, as mods can nullify your warranty.

I do have the Edge Monitor, which is okay, as it doesn't mod the settings on the truck. It has proven to be a great tool. You can see when the REGEN occurs, reducing the risk of frying some parts, if you shut it off during REGEN (1250 F). Otherwise, you need to idle a few minutes, before shutting off, as their is no indication of REGEN, unless you hit over 80 percent filter full. REGEN in city driving occurs every 90KM or so, and even more often when cold, winter time, especially if no winter covers used. On the highway, it can vary from 200 KM to 600 KM.

You will probably experience more error codes on account of REGEN overheating. Check Engine light seems to be common, due to warp parts/sensors. Often because of REGEN overheating on shutting off engine. The monitor reduces it, I think. Always get the error code. It only happen once with me, before I got my EDGE and they did replace a warp piece. I got my Edge at about 7,000 KM.

Last summer, when towing, in the rockies, I can hit momentarily 1500 F on EGT1 and EGT2. When that happen I back off, as I'm still trying to figure out if that is normal or okay. It doesn't seem normal, too close to metal down temperatures. I have an alarm set, when that happens. FCA just won't tell me or pass me on to engineers to confirm. By their silence, I suspect it not good.

Some nuisance codes can occur or just a momentary error (during cold/ moist/ truck wash conditions can result in poor connections to sensors.). The Edge can view, get info on the error and clear it, if necessary. Saving a trip to dealer. I only had one occasion, which is in one of the other threads, not an issue.

I also monitor and have alerts alarm set for oil temperature and coolant temperature. Very important if you have winter covers fully closed and weather not too cold. Save you from boiling coolant or hot oil, etc. So far, no issues, all is well and it sure runs nice. See my signatures as to what I have on the truck.

In light of some reporting issue with coolant/oil contamination and other engine failures. I have been testing my oil just before changing it with AGAT Labs in Calgary. See the other forum for results on that test. Apparently, some people had regular oil used for cummins diesel (15w40) by the dealer, which is a very no no. Too thick for winter startup/oil starvation and bad on the Cat system.

Use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 oil only, however, I believe their are now two other brands that have the same specs. Unless you are sure, stick to what the manual says. I had Agat Lab test a new can of that oil, so I know what additives are in it, as you can't really know how good your oil is without that comparison. Don't assume the dealer know which oil to use. Always confirm and ask for the empties as proof.

I recommend you do the same, if you have a concern. I go to the lab site, they give me a bottle and pump and take a sample from the dip stick area and give it to them. Pay and in a day or so you get an excellent detail report. See mine on the Oil Testing forum on this site.

If may prove to be beneficial, when time comes to sell/trade the truck, as you can provide a detail report of your engine with these accumulated oil testing results. Peace of mind now and to the new owner.

I also can recommend, that if you have been using regular, cheapest diesel, to fill up twice or more, with the Shell V-Power diesel. By the time, I was finishing my second tank, it suddenly improved. Smoother, quieter, peppier performance, not sluggish when cold, no hesitation in take offs. It may also have improve the fuel economy, but too soon to determine by how much. I was at 17,000 KM when I switched. Now I'm hitting 22,000 KM. I'm on my sixth tank of Shell V-Power. See Shell site, as to their claims.

Head up, it illegal in Alberta to drive a truck with out Mud flaps. Some occasionally get a ticket. I pick up Mopar set for 149.00 at Airdrie dealer. My truck came with 20 inch tires, which I replace with KO2. Proving to be far superior than what came with the truck.

All is well, I soon be going for my third oil change in another 1K or 2K KM.

Last edited:

Ian

Mar 12, 2016
Truck Year
So I brought it into courtesy today. Apparently a fuse was blown, 100 amp for the fan and they found a code PO480-00. I don't believe this because it doesn't jive with the code I recorded immediately afterwards. Anyway to make a long story short the fan is on all the time now, unless I shut off climate off and then it goes out. This doesn't seem normal to me, and the ticking is still there. I have zero trust in this dealer to deliver, I don't think they have a clue how to work on these engines and I'm taking it back in again, I need reliability and I don't have a lot of faith in this truck, I should've stayed with my hemi. Any ideas why this fan is acting like this? It's almost as if it's wired to come on with climate now which will mean it's always on.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
P05F3 Exhaust Aftertreatment Power Relay Control Circuit/Open
P0480 Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Fan control relay/programming failure. You need to either have the fan control circuit checked for failure/short, or have ecu reprogrammed. That fuse wont blow unless a really big short is occuring or a ratchet touched the fuse post and shorted it between it and the master cylinder. The fan speed command isnt programmed to go over 45% @ 260f coolant temp,

Ian

Mar 12, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks a lot for the help! Nobody was able to find that first code. Yeah apparently my power steering fuse blew as well, something seems up. I know if I take it back to the dealer they won't check the fan control relay but I'll take it somewhere else now that I have a starting point. Thank you very much.