• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

overrevvd in manual mode?

Christopher Favreau

Mar 5, 2017
Truck Year
on my way home from work last night, i thought i would play around with manual mode, I'm going down the highway going 65-70 and I click the button and BAM 3rd gear! I have no idea how high the RPM got but I'm pretty sure it cleared 4K but i resolved it relatively quickly after realizing what was going on. Surprised that the computer even let that happen, are we protected in manual mode to not put it in a gear that would exceed a limitation on the engine? also, on that topic how does our rev limiter work? Does it cut fuel?

if a limitation was exceeded would the truck throw a code?

Has any one else experienced it randomly jump down to 3rd?

pretty sure I took a few thousand miles of life off the engine...

Last edited:

John

Nov 13, 2015
It's all good. The engine controller is intelligent. Red-line RPM = 4500.

Christopher Favreau

Mar 5, 2017
Truck Year
Thanks john,

Can't help but think that the stresses could possibly make some of the issues that the eco diesel has i.e. the controversial cam gear slippage, rear their ugly head

I'm sure I'll get over it soon enough

Last edited:

John

Nov 13, 2015
I wouldn't worry about the gear slippage as this is something that could "possibly" happen under load. I think there are only about 2-3 confirmed cases. Bottom end failures are a whole different story.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
on my way home from work last night, i thought i would play around with manual mode, I'm going down the highway going 65-70 and I click the button and BAM 3rd gear! I have no idea how high the RPM got but I'm pretty sure it cleared 4K but i resolved it relatively quickly after realizing what was going on. Surprised that the computer even let that happen, are we protected in manual mode to not put it in a gear that would exceed a limitation on the engine? also, on that topic how does our rev limiter work? Does it cut fuel?

if a limitation was exceeded would the truck throw a code?

Has any one else experienced it randomly jump down to 3rd?

pretty sure I took a few thousand miles of life off the engine...
That would be funny if it wasn't so unexpected. When we first purchased our 2014 my wife hit the shift mode trying for the Cruise Control, she got a message of "unable to perform function" which quickly went away. When I scanned for all codes there was a Transmission code of "implausible shift command input" stored in the Transmission module. The difference is that she did not experience an uncontrolled, 8th to 3rd, shift. As much code that goes into new vehicles I am not surprised that something might get missed during updates or new models development.

Christopher Favreau

Mar 5, 2017
Truck Year
How interesting!

After a little more toying with what happen, if you hold down the down shift ( - ) button it will immediately drop to the lowest gear possible ( I would assume without damaging anything but who knows) which makes it really exciting if you weren't planing on doing that, or like your wife hitting the wrong button

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
How interesting!

After a little more toying with what happen, if you hold down the down shift ( - ) button it will immediately drop to the lowest gear possible ( I would assume without damaging anything but who knows) which makes it really exciting if you weren't planing on doing that, or like your wife hitting the wrong button

..or, when she does this??

ram1500park.jpg