• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Priming Fuel Filter after change

ecodiesel1

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
Luckily, we get to prime our fuel filter with the fuel pump and not the old fashioned way!

For Push Button start trucks
-Push the start button with your foot OFF the brake. That will it allow the truck to go into "run" mode without actually starting the engine. Do this a couple of times.

If you have a keyed start truck
- Cycle the key to the run position a couple of times without starting.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Nice. Is the same procedure as with my last truck, a GM.

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Beats the day you use to have to bleed the fuel line at the head.
Just turn the key that's great

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Very easy process. Just to make sure everyone is aware to use it when draining their filter or replacing it.

Hopefully everyone reads and does so before hand..

RansRAM

Nov 14, 2015
Truck Year
The self priming feature is nice when you remember to use it, lol. After changing mine I foolishly forgot and had the brake pressed. It cranked for about eight secs and started right up. Seems it will reprime even while starting.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The actual filter housing removal is a pain in the butt though really. I found an oil filter strap wrench that worked but it had to be just right to break It loose. But I wasn't going to spend 60$ on Geno's tool.

Thinking to design a cheap option like the filter removal tools for the Fords. If anyone has seen those?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
http://m.homedepot.com/p/GearWrench...3561-2&cm_mmc=CJ-_-1319015-_-10368321&cj=true

There's no season this or something identical but to the housing diameter on our trucks wouldn't Work. And though it's not as pretty and doesn't act as a fuel catch also I think it is PERFECTLY FUNCTIONAL. And the price beats the hell out of a custom machined one for 60$ especially considering I'll be Changing the fuel filter what? MAYBE once a year? Probably be regular maintenance before winter and that's it unless I have a seriously heavy driving year it. That's a lot to vest in an annual tool. And completely ridiculous for anyone that runs more "normal" mileage throughout the year or stretches closer to the manufacturer intervals for replacement.

Pain or not; my 7$ adjustable oil filter strap wrench worked perfectly fine for once a year application. And I could handle a 20$ specialty tool to use a ratchet. More seems nonsense

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Search "3526D" on eBay and it'll come up.

About 22$ shipped if anyone wants to try it out. 3.75" measurement is pretty close to the ecodiesel fuel filter housing.

It states designed for the Ford but works on similar designs. Well the ecodiesel has the same 4 tabs that this would grip two of. Guess you never know til someone is willing to get one and try it!

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
The only thing I don't like about this filter setup is the salt water dripping in my eyes in the winter. I have to change my filter about every 1 month 2 weeks.

Theheathster

Dec 10, 2019
Truck Year
I just changed my filter and the truck won’t start. I put in the Geno’s drain plug and it may have stripped it. Will this cause it not to start?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Is there air getting into the fuel line????

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
When you buttoned everything back up and primed the system, did you hear the pump running? Is the truck turning over but not firing?

If you've already solved this, let us know what went down.

Theheathster

Dec 10, 2019
Truck Year
When you buttoned everything back up and primed the system, did you hear the pump running? Is the truck turning over but not firing?

Yes, the pump runs and the truck turns over. It just will not start. It’s going to the dealer. I hope it’s a cheap and easy fix or under warranty

Theheathster

Dec 10, 2019
Truck Year

I had the truck towed to the dealer yesterday. This morning they said the injector pump is out and is on order. I guess we’ll see.

Paul6077

Dec 13, 2019
Truck Year
The actual filter housing removal is a pain in the butt though really. I found an oil filter strap wrench that worked but it had to be just right to break It loose. But I wasn't going to spend 60$ on Geno's tool.

Thinking to design a cheap option like the filter removal tools for the Fords. If anyone has seen those?
1576272956333.png I got this from Amazon.ca $36. Canadian