• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Put a $500 deposit on a 2021 Ecodiesel this week, and now I'm scared to death... Please, someone tell me something good...

no_plugs

Mar 19, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hey everyone, thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I used to be a forum regular on motorcycle/chopper forums (the chopper underground, mainly) but they really died off with Facebook. I miss the good old forum days, Im happy to see them still alive in certain areas.

So this past week I went to check out a 2021 Ram Limited Night edition ecodiesel. I fell in love immediately after driving it. I had done some research on them, I thought it really sounded like many of the early years were plagued with issues, I assumed they had it figured out. Now I have been digging and searching all day long on my breaks at work and last night. I am suddenly scared to death. Am I going to buy a new truck that is going to do nothing that gives me problems?

Please, somebody tell me there are more than just horror stories with these trucks... I like the idea of it so much. I used to have a 2001 Ram 24 Valve Cummins and loved it. I've been in a 2005 5.3 Silverado for the past 7 years and ready to get back into a diesel, I just don't have the need for anything heavy duty anymore. The ecodiesel sounded perfect.... until now.

Am I overreacting??? Please give me some insight

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome! Honestly, you're going to have a brand new truck with a warranty. Just drive it and enjoy it.. do they have more problems then other vehicles? Absolutely, I own forums, I love diesels, and I see so many more problems/issues with EcoDiesels than any other one out there.

A family friend just bought a new 21 EcoDiesel loaded out and he loves it, it's a very nice truck I agree. He's had it for a few months with no issues so far.

no_plugs

Mar 19, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome! Honestly, you're going to have a brand new truck with a warranty. Just drive it and enjoy it.. do they have more problems then other vehicles? Absolutely, I own forums, I love diesels, and I see so many more problems/issues with EcoDiesels than any other one out there.

A family friend just bought a new 21 EcoDiesel loaded out and he loves it, it's a very nice truck I agree. He's had it for a few months with no issues so far.

Thanks for the reply. I slept on it and I am still planning to move forward with it. I figured that, like you said, it has warranty. Worst case scenario, I get a lemon of a truck, I get it fixed, then go back to the dealer and go for a hemi. Fingers crossed I get one of the good ones.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks for the reply. I slept on it and I am still planning to move forward with it. I figured that, like you said, it has warranty. Worst case scenario, I get a lemon of a truck, I get it fixed, then go back to the dealer and go for a hemi. Fingers crossed I get one of the good ones.

Hope for the best as well for you. Make sure you stay tuned here, we've got a ton of good info for the EcoDiesels.. plus we love pics of new ones to :D

no_plugs

Mar 19, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
well, I got the truck on Saturday. I got a check engine light in the first 60 miles :unsure::D. heading to the dealership tomorrow evening after work to see what's up. Other than that, its the most badass truck I've ever owned. My girlfriend is glad I finally got with the times. This thing is light years ahead of my Silverado!tempImageJ6aclj.jpgIMG_7351.jpeg

Here's a photo of my new truck with my 2005 Silverado in the background (Silverado is for sale if you know anyone interested in a nearly perfect Silverado with under 80K miles).

And another photo of the new eco at Menards today to get some materials.

tempImageJ6aclj.jpgIMG_7351.jpeg

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Very nice.. truck looks great. My last new Duramax I had I had a code pop 15 mins after leaving the lot, and of course it was emissions related. They'll get you taken care of and you'll be on the road again.

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
Sweet looking truck noplugs. Is it black? I have a Emerald Forest Green 2016 Bighorn with air ride. It looks black till the sun hits it then its real dark green metallic. Love it. 35k miles, SFT tooned and no problems so far knock on wood

no_plugs

Mar 19, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
Sweet looking truck noplugs. Is it black? I have a Emerald Forest Green 2016 Bighorn with air ride. It looks black till the sun hits it then its real dark green metallic. Love it. 35k miles, SFT tooned and no problems so far knock on wood
Thanks! It is black, with a little bit of metallic in the paint. Thats good news to hear that you've had no issues thus far.

Check engine I got in the first 60 miles was an unplugged sensor off of the valve cover. Plugged it in, reset codes, and no issues since.

I put a pedal commander on to get rid of throttle delay. I cant explain what a difference that made. I would highly recommend one if you're not tuned yet.

I also talked to Green Diesel and they're planning to get a tune together for the 2020-2021 trucks by Fall 2021.

Freedom319

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
Hey everyone, thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I used to be a forum regular on motorcycle/chopper forums (the chopper underground, mainly) but they really died off with Facebook. I miss the good old forum days, Im happy to see them still alive in certain areas.

So this past week I went to check out a 2021 Ram Limited Night edition ecodiesel. I fell in love immediately after driving it. I had done some research on them, I thought it really sounded like many of the early years were plagued with issues, I assumed they had it figured out. Now I have been digging and searching all day long on my breaks at work and last night. I am suddenly scared to death. Am I going to buy a new truck that is going to do nothing that gives me problems?

Please, somebody tell me there are more than just horror stories with these trucks... I like the idea of it so much. I used to have a 2001 Ram 24 Valve Cummins and loved it. I've been in a 2005 5.3 Silverado for the past 7 years and ready to get back into a diesel, I just don't have the need for anything heavy duty anymore. The ecodiesel sounded perfect.... until now.

Am I overreacting??? Please give me some insight
I understand your hesitation, but I gambled on a 2014 with 94,000 miles just 4 months ago. The guy that traded it in though logged all maintenance, like fuel ups,, oil and fuel filter changes and even when he added DEF. I now have 110,000 and the only issue I had was getting bad diesel which threw a code. I added a fuel cleaner and within a 100 miles or so it was cleared and no problems since. My advice is to drive it, from what I can tell these engines like to run up and down the highway but no so much to the grocery store and back. I’ve even hauled a car from OKC to Wilmington, DE and it never missed a beat.

no_plugs

Mar 19, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
I understand your hesitation, but I gambled on a 2014 with 94,000 miles just 4 months ago. The guy that traded it in though logged all maintenance, like fuel ups,, oil and fuel filter changes and even when he added DEF. I now have 110,000 and the only issue I had was getting bad diesel which threw a code. I added a fuel cleaner and within a 100 miles or so it was cleared and no problems since. My advice is to drive it, from what I can tell these engines like to run up and down the highway but no so much to the grocery store and back. I’ve even hauled a car from OKC to Wilmington, DE and it never missed a beat.
That's great to hear. I agree so far that these trucks love the highway. I'm almost 500 miles on the odometer and I'm loving this truck. Its the perfect amount of power for what I need it for.

RCdiesel75

Sep 12, 2021
Truck Year
Hey no_plugs...how has your EcoDiesel been treating you? I am actually looking at leasing a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited ED myself. I have test driven two of them now and absolutely love the truck! This will be my first truck and my brother has always had Ram 1500's of the HEMI persuasion. He can't say enough good about them. I was looking at GMC Sierra for a bit, but love the interior and the comfort of the Ram much more. So I read your original post and many others online, so a little concerned like you were. Looking to close the deal by the end of September, so any updates or input from others on the forum would be much appreciated. Have been reading that the new GEN 3 version of the engine is very different the GEN 2. Is this true?