• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RAM locked me out while clearing the windows

TerryP

Jan 15, 2017
Truck Year
Yesterday I started up my truck, then stepped out with the windshield scrapper to clear the windows. When I got done scrapping and brushing, I found that the truck doors had locked themselves, and I couldn't get into the vehicle. Fortunately, I had my 2nd key fob in the house, so I was able to get into the truck. But if I'd been away from home, I'd have been locked out of my running truck.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a solution. I can find info about turning off the automatic door locking when reaching 15 mph, but nothing that addresses the problem of doors locking while the truck is just sitting there idling.

TerryP

Jan 15, 2017
Truck Year
I've never had it happen to me on this truck, but my previous 2011 GM did that a couple of times.. very frustrating for sure!
It happened to my friend with his Chevy. He was out in the middle of nowhere, loading his mules onto his trailer, and then, couldn't get back into his truck. He finally had to pry the door back and unlock it with a wire. How ridiculous! There must be a setting to stop the thing from locking the doors. If I don't get a better suggestion, I'll start with eliminating the automatic locking at 15 mph, and see if that solves the other problem. Hiding a door key somewhere is probably a good backup.

spaightlabs

Feb 11, 2018
Truck Year
Those are the times where something like Uconnect proves its value, I had OnStar in a couple of GM vehicle and had 3 times where I needed an unlock. One of 'em I had to walk 3 miles to get to a farmhouse to get it done...

I wish every manufacturer had an external keypad like Ford...

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I wish every manufacturer had an external keypad like Ford...

I'm waiting for the next big thing. Like a NFC chip that allows you to hold up your phone that unlocks the truck... or biometrics with something like a finger print.

spaightlabs

Feb 11, 2018
Truck Year
I'm waiting for the next big thing. Like a NFC chip that allows you to hold up your phone that unlocks the truck... or biometrics with something like a finger print.

I have a $150 pistol safe next to my bed that uses biometrics - you kind of think for $50K they could get that figured out?

solarvic

Jun 28, 2015
Truck Year
I am always bumping the lock button getting out of the truck. My 2015 eco still had the plastic tip you insert into the switch. If you have that kind of switch there is a steel key that is in the one end of the switch. you can either use the remote to open the door or you can use the steel switch key to open the door. My dealer cut me a regular metal key that I can open the door with and I taped it some place outside the truck wher I only know where it is.

TerryP

Jan 15, 2017
Truck Year
I am always bumping the lock button getting out of the truck. My 2015 eco still had the plastic tip you insert into the switch. If you have that kind of switch there is a steel key that is in the one end of the switch. you can either use the remote to open the door or you can use the steel switch key to open the door. My dealer cut me a regular metal key that I can open the door with and I taped it some place outside the truck wher I only know where it is.
My key is like yours. I think that your suggestion is the most promising for me. Thanks for the thought.

solarvic

Jun 28, 2015
Truck Year
My dealer only charged me $2.00 for the key and I taped it on the fuel door hinge with electrical tape.