• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Recommendations for glow plug removal kit

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
Hello,
I’m looking for any recommendations on a glow plug remover/extractor that any of you may have had experience with. I’m looking for something More high end , geared more toward the eco diesel if that exists (or is even necessary). I’m working on plug #4. It looks like the kits on amazon that are similarly priced are basically the same thing and the reviews are mixed at best. Anyone had the same headache I’m currently having?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I took mine to a diesel shop and let the guy deal with it. 500$ later he removed plug, drilled, tapped, and installed new one I had brought.

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
I took mine to a diesel shop and let the guy deal with it. 500$ later he removed plug, drilled, tapped, and installed new one I had brought.

Unfortunately I called about every shop in my area (Spokane, WA) and they all said they will not/can not remove one. I found that odd since It seems like this is a common occurrence for diesels in general. Dealer wanted 4,000$ to replace the head so I would rather at least attempt it myself first. There has to be tool for the job out there somewhere....

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
All you need is an 8mm deep well socket and an extension. The worst part is if and when it breaks off. Find a guy that works on heavy equipment diesels. These dealers and a few of my local shops call themselves diesel mechanics but few of them will actually do what it takes to fix something, not replace half of it cause it’s easier. They quoted me 8k for a head so your better than me lol. Did it actually break off? I believe that’s the one I had to replace on mine

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
All you need is an 8mm deep well socket and an extension. The worst part is if and when it breaks off. Find a guy that works on heavy equipment diesels. These dealers and a few of my local shops call themselves diesel mechanics but few of them will actually do what it takes to fix something, not replace half of it cause it’s easier. They quoted me 8k for a head so your better than me lol. Did it actually break off? I believe that’s the one I had to replace on mine
Yeah it’s actually broken. Broke off right above the thread. The electrode won’t pull out. I figured if I could pull it out I could get the sleeve out with an easy out. The plug (sleeve) is almost out but not quite there. I have replaced 3 myself thus without any issues, and this one (#4) was going like all the others until it got soft and snapped. I have a 1/4” torque wrench with and 8mm socket and had it set to very low torque. Working it back and forth and it was just to stuck in there in the end. I might just have to try the one off amazon and see how it goes.

67_Valiant

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
I broke #2 on mine. I tried the Amazon kit and just could not get the angle right due to the drill interfering with the cowl, so the drill went in off-centerline (which pretty my sealed my fate). I ended up replacing the cylinder head myself which is a BIG job, but can be done if you have the time/patience. Cost me about $1k in parts and special tools, but working great now with no codes...

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
I broke #2 on mine. I tried the Amazon kit and just could not get the angle right due to the drill interfering with the cowl, so the drill went in off-centerline (which pretty my sealed my fate). I ended up replacing the cylinder head myself which is a BIG job, but can be done if you have the time/patience. Cost me about $1k in parts and special tools, but working great now with no codes...

Wow good job taking that project on. I hope to not have to get to that point myself, but it’s good to know it’s possible with the right skills.

The main Question I have for you would be, how did the electrode puller work for you? I feel like where it’s at if I can just get that part Out I would be able to get an easy out type extractor inside the sleeve and unthread it.

I also have a little more room on plug 4 so may be able to get a better drilling angle if I need to go that route.

Thanks for the info and insight I greatly appreciate it, as there’s not alot of info out there from people with similar experiences.

67_Valiant

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
I actually think it would work better for your situation since you're not contending with the cowl. If had I gotten the hole drilled straight it could have worked for me. Because it was not, the extractor was partially threading into the side of the head, and would just pull out with a bunch of aluminum stuck on the threads (but no glow plug).

Once I had the head pulled, I tried to drive the glow plug out from the combustion chamber side just to see how close i was, and it would not budge. It finally broke off after a few more solid hits.

Hopefully, it will work better for you. If you end up deciding to replace the head, I can give you some tips and tricks to get it done with a minimally invasive approach as well as the supplier with the best pricing. AllDataDIY recommends removing the transmission, but I was able to it without.

Joeecodiesel

Jan 18, 2020
Truck Year
I actually think it would work better for your situation since you're not contending with the cowl. If had I gotten the hole drilled straight it could have worked for me. Because it was not, the extractor was partially threading into the side of the head, and would just pull out with a bunch of aluminum stuck on the threads (but no glow plug).

Once I had the head pulled, I tried to drive the glow plug out from the combustion chamber side just to see how close i was, and it would not budge. It finally broke off after a few more solid hits.

Hopefully, it will work better for you. If you end up deciding to replace the head, I can give you some tips and tricks to get it done with a minimally invasive approach as well as the supplier with the best pricing. AllDataDIY recommends removing the transmission, but I was able to it without.

Awesome thanks for the quick response. What glow plug kit did you purchase? The ones that seem to look the same (Not sure if quality differs) are all around 60$ from what I can see.

Also, Did you end up pulling the electrode? Or did you drill through it?

I appreciate the offer to guide me through the head removal as well. I will keep you posted on how the extraction goes. I will also order the kit this afternoon.

67_Valiant

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
I used this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787Q7P48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using the guide, you are supposed to drill a pilot into the electrode and create threads with the small, long tap. Then you clear out the old head of the plug with the larger drill and tap it. The mandrel threads in where the old head was, and the extractor goes through the mandrel and threads into the electrode. Finally, the hammer piece attaches to the other end of the extractor, and basically acts like a slide hammer.

It actually seems like a good design, but you have to get the electrode tap perfectly centered, or it will break out of the electrode and create the problem I ran into

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.