• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Regen?

Jeff Garretto

Dec 23, 2017
Truck Year
Bought a new/used 2015 eco diesel with 32k on in March of 17, we haven't yet put 5k miles on it (12/23/17) to even reach an Oil change interval and have had to take into the dealer to have it regened. My wife drives this truck approx 2.5 miles a day which makes me believe that it's not being driven enough because it's wanting to be regened about once a month and last month while driving it to worked it called for a regen but she just drove it into work and shut it down only to have it have no power at the end of the day when she left to drive it home. This truck has only seen a highway/freeway for maybe 100 miles since we've owned it... My question is this: As I mentioned; I had to take it to the dealer for a regen procedure, (they didn't charge me) I have a feeling that this is going to happen again (wife drives it) how does ones go about applying this regen procedure himself to avoid the Dealership? (I don't believe they are/will continue to regen my truck for nothing)..... Thanx for any help.

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
You need to get yourself a edge CTS or CTS2 monitor. It plugs into the OBD2 port under your steering wheel.

With it you can watch your soot level, and you can force a regen, and go take the truck for a spin to compete it.

You can also complete a regen in your driveway once you know one is happening, and you will be able to see it on the edge product.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
What you need is to either change your/her driving habits aka more highway miles. Or trade the truck off an a gasser which is the easiest option. Unfortunately doing more and more forced regens is not a good option in the long run you well end-up having issues eventually with the dpf clogging.

Zigi

Mar 21, 2016
Truck Year
I had a 2015 and had to do a regen run about once a month. My 2016, on the third day I had it, after just doing a 1000 km highway trip had to do a half hour regen on the highway again. I now have about 35,000km and Haven’t had to do another regen until a couple weeks ago, after I just did another trip of 1000 highway kms. Did another half hour run on highway to delete the code. Both times my dash warning came up at 80%. Brought it in to the dealer, for oil change and service a couple days later and once again, just like the first time, left the dealer to my hotel across the street and the regen Code came on again. Brought it back and they were going to do it. Came back at quitting time but they hadn’t gotten atound to it so took it back on the highway. The dash error went to 90% and took fourth five minutes on the highway to clear it. Dealer looked st it the next day but couldn’t find any issues.
Before I left for this trip, I talked to ram customer service and they said I didn’t get the regens because I was doing a lot of highway driving. My driving was the same as I have done with my other truck and it seems that everytime I get a regen is when I am on the highway.
Any ideas?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I had a 2015 and had to do a regen run about once a month. My 2016, on the third day I had it, after just doing a 1000 km highway trip had to do a half hour regen on the highway again. I now have about 35,000km and Haven’t had to do another regen until a couple weeks ago, after I just did another trip of 1000 highway kms. Did another half hour run on highway to delete the code. Both times my dash warning came up at 80%. Brought it in to the dealer, for oil change and service a couple days later and once again, just like the first time, left the dealer to my hotel across the street and the regen Code came on again. Brought it back and they were going to do it. Came back at quitting time but they hadn’t gotten atound to it so took it back on the highway. The dash error went to 90% and took fourth five minutes on the highway to clear it. Dealer looked st it the next day but couldn’t find any issues.
Before I left for this trip, I talked to ram customer service and they said I didn’t get the regens because I was doing a lot of highway driving. My driving was the same as I have done with my other truck and it seems that everytime I get a regen is when I am on the highway.
Any ideas?
Well your regenerations are typically happening passively, they also tend to happen at a bad time, like just coming off the highway home and shutting down, in that event, some in town driving you very quickly can go from the passive 60% to the evic (dash message 80%), as long as you don't ignore the 90% and shut the truck down with it full you won't have a limp mode issue. I idle a lot more than a modern emissions ridden diesel should but I can tell by the exhaust smell and heavy DEF odor when my truck needs to be driven, especially in the cold.

Bought a new/used 2015 eco diesel with 32k on in March of 17, we haven't yet put 5k miles on it (12/23/17) to even reach an Oil change interval and have had to take into the dealer to have it regened. My wife drives this truck approx 2.5 miles a day which makes me believe that it's not being driven enough because it's wanting to be regened about once a month and last month while driving it to worked it called for a regen but she just drove it into work and shut it down only to have it have no power at the end of the day when she left to drive it home. This truck has only seen a highway/freeway for maybe 100 miles since we've owned it... My question is this: As I mentioned; I had to take it to the dealer for a regen procedure, (they didn't charge me) I have a feeling that this is going to happen again (wife drives it) how does ones go about applying this regen procedure himself to avoid the Dealership? (I don't believe they are/will continue to regen my truck for nothing)..... Thanx for any help.
In town commuting is hard on any vehicle, and the emissions systems on modern diesel's are not designed for it. You absolutely cannot ignore the messages on the dash warning of 80 and 90 particulate filter capacity percentages. I drive a lot of short in town commuting but I compensate with my highway driving as well, it does not sound to be the case for you. If you EVER see the 80% message, you need to either drive it at higher than 2k constant rpms ie. Getting on the highway for 10+ Minutes, or you can sit in park holding the throttle anywhere over 1800rpms after a few long Minutes to start up, you will finally get a 10% decrease, which will progress approximately every 2 minutes until completing, after completion let the engine idle to cool the exhaust before shutting down.

Hope any of this helps

Zigi

Mar 21, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks for the information. The thing I don’t understand is that on my 2015 eco, I was doing a regen pretty much once a month. Had awesome mileage. Lots of turbo lag but worked great. Got my2016, ran it on the highway for less than a 1000 km on the second day I had it. Got off the highway and next day 80% regen on my Evic.
Went on the highway again for a half hour to clear it up.
Never seen another one until more than a year later and 30,000 km and right after the same trip of less than 1000km at 110kph average speed.
Brought it in for service, they had the truck for 3 days, pick it up and drive across the street to my hotel parking lot and before parking, the 80% regen pops up on the Evic the exact same trip across from the dealer after a long highway trip.
When I mentioned this to Ram, they told me I am doing great highway miles to not show any regens and then a week later I get 2 of them in a few days apart. I’m from the banana belt, don’t get much cold in Vancouver so not much idling.
My 2015 was giving me 8.5 liters per 100 km and this 2016 is giving me over 10.5 liters per 100km on the same trips

Marl Ward

Jan 9, 2018
Truck Year
The vehicles region every 65-250 miles depending on driving habits. If it is in a passive regen and shut off before it is allowed to complete, you will have this problem its important to drive the vehicle till it completes and let the vehicle cool down 1-5 minuets before turning off. I purchased a scanguageii from linear logic with the eco diesel gauges and it will tell you when you are in a region and when it completes i watch the eg1 sensor which is the turbo sensor and when temps at 350 or lower i turn the vehicle off.