• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

REGENS, how to tell??

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
There are more pages, but the forum keeps saying file is too large. I add two more pages separately.

Attachments

• 1500 3.0L Diesel1 (dragged).pdf
    206.6 KB · Views: 20

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
here the other page

Attachments

• 1500 3.0L Diesel1 (dragged) 1.pdf
    202.6 KB · Views: 13

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I'm over 10,250 KM, all is well. I set up the alerts for REGEN setting high, so that I don't even get an alert until it half way through. At this rate, I don't really need to monitor it.

Still wondering about EGT1 and EGT2 temperatures. It will hit 1500 F, when towing up the hill and running about 3K to 3.5K RPMs. Fortunately, it only stays up there for a few seconds. I haven't had to back off. I would think, those level would be unsafe for the engine. Anyone know the limits before burnt out? Monitoring those temperatures is more important than REGEN, I think?

Good portion of driving has been towing a trailer and the rest city driving in Calgary. Very little highway driving without trailer. My life mileage (10,250 KM) is 25 mpg imperial so far. My life fuel cost (10,250 KM) is 0.12 cents per KM. Average price per litre is around 89 cents lately. I seem to average around 9 to 10 according to the display when doing mostly city driving.

My DEF level is around 40 percent. I will fill up when it get down much lower.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
According to EDGE, Ram has removed the REGEN Distance. So no longer work, always stays at Zero. Not important, I replace it without another PID.

Here the reply from email I received.

I spoke with the engineer today that worked on that vehicle. With the update from the dealer you will no longer have that pid, they removed that pid with their last update. Even the Chrysler tool will not read that pid anymore. Unfortunately we will not read that pid since you had the truck updated.

Thanks,

Edge Products Technical Support

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
According to EDGE, Ram has removed the REGEN Distance. So no longer work, always stays at Zero. Not important, I replace it without another PID.

Here the reply from email I received.

I spoke with the engineer today that worked on that vehicle. With the update from the dealer you will no longer have that pid, they removed that pid with their last update. Even the Chrysler tool will not read that pid anymore. Unfortunately we will not read that pid since you had the truck updated.

Thanks,

Edge Products Technical Support

Good info @seiko . I wonder why they removed it?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Chrysler removed that feature in the last update.

Initially it was interesting info to see how often and under what driving condition increases or decreases DEF consumption. It appears if you are driving with temperatures over 1000 F,(EGT1 and EGT 2, Soot level stay same or hardly increases) you will not use as much DEF.

I'm sure they wouldn't want people to get the impression that DEF can cost. I'm over 10K and still have about 40 percent left. When I get to fill up, I get the exact cost per KM.

Marketing strategy?

I'm watching the EGT1 and EGT2 temperatures. Don't like to see it hit 1500 F. One can reach those temperatures when towing up on hills. I suspect if you drive long enough at those temperatures, you may go into melt down. Perhaps it explains some engine failures? Anyone out there, know what the safe temperatures levels are?

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
I have to say I have been surprised I have only ever had 1 forced regen and that was all the way back at 1000 miles. I drive mostly city and my daily trip to work consists of start the truck let it warm up about 30 seconds to a minute and then go down the road 1.5 miles to turn into the parking lot at work. Now have 6100 miles on it....not sure if it even has a chance to start creating soot at that point because the truck really never gets warm...but when I do have it warm cruising around I will hammer on it here and there just to clean her up a bit.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I found by my pattern of driving in the city, a REGEN would occur at about 90 km and on highways over 200 km. When Soot level is less than 65 or so, no REGEN will occur. (I'm at 11000 KM on the truck)

If I try to open it up, flooring it, heat up the engine, no REGEN will occur. One will not get the Temperatures needed (EGT 3 & EGT4) to REGEN. Even if one did, no REGEN will occur if Soot levels are low. Maybe it slows the climb of soot levels?

The only time, I can have that happen, when towing on the highway, going up long hills (Rocky Mountains, Banff, Yoho National parks area and my RPM are hitting 3000 to 3500, then my EGT 1 & EGT 2 will climb towards 1500 degrees F. very fast.

I notice that EGT 3 & EGT 4 temperature climbs to 1000-1250 F, even though Soot level are less than 60. I don't think, any DEF is being used, but the Soot level seems to stay the same and doesn't climb in value, until I'm back to normal RPM.

My pending conclusion, that I shouldn't worry about REGEN, as the vehicle software seems to be taking care of it without our intervention. By idling a minute or so before shutting down the truck, will give it time to cool down in case a REGEN was occurring at that time.

My current concern is EGT 1 & EGT 2, when temperatures climb towards 1500 degrees F, which I don't expect or seen it happen when not towing. I suspect if those temperatures where maintained to long (long not determined yet), it will lead to engine failure.

Still looking for info about it and what the maximum normal safe temperatures are.

FYI:?
I watched a video, comparing towing capacity and tested on a long road climbing. An interesting comment was made that the RAM never went over 3K RPM. Something a miss about that, I think? They probably were given a customized RAM, as I can't duplicate those results. If VW can cheat, why not others?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I only drive 1 US mile back and forth to Work regularly and let the truck warm up and generally have short errand trips in small town. But every two weeks or so I take a 200-750 mile round trip. I've had 4 80% regen messages. That's over 14,000miles this summer. I got the truck new in May.

Most recent two I just learned to park it and sit in the truck for 10 minutes and run it at 1900rpms. It takes 1-2 minutes per 10% to decrease once temps reach active regen and below 20% it just states regen completed. It's probably more efficient to burn up the fuel at high idle than chasing around town to hit the highway and unnecessarily drive 15 miles.

But this only happens after maybe 10 solid days of in town errands extended idle times etc.

I have torque pro Bluetooth obd also but I've never found a DPF percentage I just monitor egt1 temps and catalyst temps. But I can acknowledge when the truck is doing a passive regen (no evic message)

Then again I can tell my dpf by my highway MPG as well. The truck shows when the exhaust is restricted. And you can tell when it is done burning off. Even without monitoring temp.

Just set your digital cluster to display your instant MPG in one of the corners if you have the cluster screen

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Ya I can seem to tell when it is getting restricted also but I have just been surprised with my city driving it has been able to do its regular regens without hitting the 80%. I am terrible about letting my truck warm up...9 times out of ten I just jump in and go and shut it off when I get there....guess I will be one to find out how consumer friendly it can be.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I try my best with warm ups I like to see 100F coolant before driving. But that's also why I use my block heater already. As stated I do drive in town a lot and also start and stop the engine a lot. That hasn't caused any issues. I've just done the high rpm 80% regen twice parked and I think twice driving.

My in town city driving is particularly stop and go and short distances I just try to be mindful of how much running I do before letting the truck stretch it's legs and drive highway distances.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Interesting...

I do have instant mileage and don't see any difference, nor in fuel economy, nor have I felt the engine getting restricted. Nada!

I absolutely haven't been able to see any indication when I am in REGEN (Passive) and I was watching for tell tale signs. Nada!

I have never gotten a EVIC display that I hit 80 percent, (Active REGEN) so never experiencing driving with Soot level 80 percent. The closet I got was 76 percent once. More often around 70 percent.

I did the high idling a few times, but decided it was a waste of time and gas. I just ignore it and it takes care of itself.

In fact, I have set the alarms so high 1250 F, that by the time I hear it, it just about finish doing it's REGEN. Of course, if I'm about to shut off engine, I watch until temperature drop below 1000, REGEN stops, instead of reading say 9 percent, I may get a figure around 24 percent, etc.

My driving habits, so far, it is consumer friendly. Also, since monitoring, I have never smelled diesel pee (DEF). Only the first 1000 km, did I notice it a few times, but didn't have my monitor yet. (Insight Edge CS2).

If I was to stop, with window down and wind blowing behind me, one can get a smell of diesel DEF (during REGEN) and in case of gas vehicles, they would smell gas exhaust. Issues equal there I guess.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I was hauling a trailer with brush back and forth probably 3 miles out of town and back, heavy idling, towing a trailer with a jlg boom. As well as a brush trailer doing some tree Work so there were many short start ups and shut Downs, still a week later still no 80% regens even remotely close and I haven't touched the highway in 10 days with the exception of the 1.5 miles to the county road with the dump.

Just sometimes after heavy in town use it happens and you have to do the active regen. Not a big deal for me. And the evic message is calmer than the seatbelt dinger!

Last edited:

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I'm fortunate, in that I drive 100 km in a day, in a city often, so REGEN occurs before it hits 80 percent. Probably why I never get an EVIC message, In your case, shorter drives, may result in EVIC message. Either way, it corrects the issues. (It will be interesting to see, if it in fact does exhibits indications when driving ) Either way, Not a concern.

Keep an eye out on EGT 1 and EGT 2 temperatures, I don't like seeing 1500 F, even for a second. If you/members come across any info about it, please post it here.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
At 55-65 MPH I notice instant mileage in the low twenties that I can't get away from regardless of wind, when it begins passive regen it stays there. Upon completion it's back to low thirties

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Good to know, hopefully I never see an EVIC message and have to experience fuel economy or continues dings.

I'm getting around 9 to 10 km in my city driving. Most of my highway is towing (5k weight), but I did hit for short period 8.9 litre per km. Another driver said 8.4 km. My Ram truck, life mileage for 10K is 25 miles per imperial gallon so far.

You need to convert to US gallons for US members. Canada Eh? Sorry...

The most accurate figures. (Life mileage) Total all your fuel and divide by your total mileage. I even keep ownership cost too in my database.

Fuel economy is way better than my Highlander (which I sold recently) and I didn't tow that much with it (2k weight). For now, I'm saying it is for sure equal in fuel economy.

So far, I'm impressed and for now, it nice to fill up when diesel is 20 cents per litre cheaper than gas, but I expect that can change during winter or not. My hybrid Camry is averaging 6.0 to 6.5 km per litre

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The dropped mileage during regen is during a passive regen. You can just be observant and tell. 14,000 mi and my lifetime is 24MPG with a US Gallon not an imperial gallon. Pretty on par with yours. And the regen evic is only a single ding and it's not like you're doing harm to your truck that it comes up. It's not the end of the world if it happens the first time nor do you need to strive to prevent it. The truck does as it's supposed to. It's just a dummy message. Some people need that

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I did watch several times the instant fuel reading and notice no drop in fuel reading, not even a bit.

Okay on one ding, it matches what the manual says.

About half of my mileage is towing a trailer 5k plus in mountains mostly (Banff, Yoho, Jasper), so 25 mpg is real great. Won't be towing a trailer much this winter, so I be curious and expect to see life fuel economy starts climbing fast.