• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

REGENS, how to tell??

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Look like my dealer failed to provide what came with my vehicle. They aren't know for honesty by me.... Here a clip from FCA (Canada) reply to my inquiry....

Our office can confirm that Customer Satisfaction Notification R51 (winter front cover) has been issued to your vehicle. Please contact your dealer to arrange completion of this service, at no charge to you.

Sincerely,

Karen P. (Ms.)

Customer Care Manager
FCA Canada Customer Care

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Okay, I pick up my FCA Winter Front Covers. I asked why their parts department wanted to charge me for a set or order a third Party. They claim, they weren't aware. Oh well.....

Here the instruction that came with it and picture of it installed. Very quick to install, however fitting the cushion under the grill can be difficult due to spacing between grill and fender. There was suppose to be a plastic tool to assist, however it wasn't included, thought the instruction claim it comes with it.

IMG_1542.jpg

I did notice an immediate improvement, took less than half of the time to get rad temps to normal. I also notice fuel economy improved a lot. Normally in my city driving, I average around 9 to 10 km/100, but lately it was hitting 10-11, now it seem to be below 11. Also REGEN distance is back to normal distance. Soot levels climb much slower.

I added an alert (Edge Insight CS2) to my ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) in case it climbs to 230 without me noticing it. (If it get too hot, a fan will come on, which I have yet to see it happen since I had this vehicle. Normal temperature is 220 F. (Gauge 12 o'clock)

I also notice my Transmission temperature is normal temperature as per analogue gauge. Will watch that, as cover restrict air flow there. So far in 80 km never exceeded ECT 215 F. with cover fully close and it only around freezing point.

Attachments

• Winter Front Covers.pdf
    597.9 KB · Views: 2

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Passive REGEN occurs when Soot levels hit about 65 percent. If for various reason, (short trip, stop and go, lots of cold weather, cold engine never warms up, lots of idling,) and it fails to do a Passive REGEN, then when it hits 80 percent, you will get an EVIC telling you, your filter is 80 percent full and will climb until you get a Active REGEN. If you hit over 90 percent, perhaps more, you will get an EVIC message to go to dealer.

It may cost you or not.?

Lots of people buy these truck for fuel economy, so having to idle over 5 minutes or having to take the vehicle on the highway for 20 to 30 km, (Due to EVIC Message 80 percent full) until Soot is back to normal, defeats the fuel economy reasons.

That why I don't want to have to idle for 20 minute or longer, or to be forced to take a trip, cost fuel and my time. I look for solutions, to resolve that for now.

FCA should be taking care of it on their dime. I think, They cheap out on the grill shutters, covering only half of the rad. It a smart truck and sensor everywhere, so it wouldn't be difficult to improve the cooling (Summer Trailer towing, EGT1, EGT2 too high temperatures occur) and heating (Winter Driving) as quick as possible.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I have been driving around freezing point and surprise that I never came close to overheating the Rad temperature (ECT). It cools down quick when idling. Hopefully it will not be an issue when driving -20 Celsius or worse. For now it heats up nice.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
For those who didn't get this notice from FCA, I have post it here. Apparently the cold can give you MIL indicator light. Nice to know, don't like to be caught ignorant of it.

I also notice that my REGEN seems to be completing much quicker, half the mileage/time. ECT seems to be about 190 F before it will try a REGEN.

Attachments

• Post.pdf
    175.6 KB · Views: 11

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Weather was around zero (freezing point). Took a trip to Banff National Park, no towing (120 KPM). With the Grill Winter Blanket fully closed. It never reached 222 F. (I have the Edge Alarm set for 230 F). It demonstrates the cooling capacity of the Radiator under no load. All of the EGT temperatures were all okay.

However from my experience summer time, towing, no blanket, the EGT temperature run too high I think.