• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Regretting the purchase.

DrummerJon

Jan 22, 2019
Truck Year
Hey everyone. I'm new here and didn't read through many of the other threads, yet.
I have a 2017 Ecodiesel, purchased new. I ALMOST had it for 1 year before the problems started.
Just after this new years I got in my truck to head out for the day. I started it remotely to warm it up. Its chilly up here.
When I went outside to get in it it wasnt running. Said remote start canceled, or something like that. Didnt think much of it. When I started it again with the key it ran for 5 seconds then shut off. It read low oil pressure across the dash. Tried it again, same result.
Called for a warranty tow. Dealer got it and go figure, couldn't pull any codes. They do an oil change(because I needed one) and they send me on my way.
It's fine for a week, to the day.
I go to start it to go out for the day and doesnt it do it again. Runs for 5 seconds or so then shuts off, low oil pressure. I knew the problem wasnt solved the first time I had it in but now this is a second time in a week and a major inconvenience.
So, another warranty tow and a rental.
This time they have it for 3 days before I have to call them to see what the hell is up. Guess what, metal particles in the oil. They're putting a new motor in it. Awesome!(sarcasm).
I should mention it has 13,000km on it.
So they drop a new motor in it. I pick it up on a Friday(this past Friday, Jan 18). Runs nice on the short drive home.
Saturday morning....I woke my neigbours up....
Went out to warm it up to take my son out, brand new motor. Fire it up, shuts off. Low oil pressure. I'm pretty sure I said every curseword in multiple languages.
So the now they're crying bad fuel, not under warranty.
They say my fuel is bad. Water in the fuel. I filled up at a major gas station dec 17. First low oil pressure was Jan 2(when they couldn't pull any codes and just did an oil change), with Dec 17 gas. I refilled at a different but also major gas station Jan 8 and had the second low oil pressure Jan 10. That's when they cried new motor and had it til Jan 18. Jan 19, 3rd low oil pressure with new motor.
I just dont know. I want to get rid of this POS but I really do like it. It's already going to cost me 600 plus tax for them to drop the tank and replace the filter that they say was frozen!
So, who's had this happen to them??? LOL

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome! Sometimes it's just not meant to be. As far as bad fuel.. I'm not sure how'd you'd claim the station responsible if you went that long with no issues... keep us updated on what you figure out. Maybe get a sample then call corporate, they have insurances for that.

DrummerJon

Jan 22, 2019
Truck Year
My other question for them is why didnt the water in fuel indicator light come on long before it froze up my filter, and why if that's the problem does it keep showing low oil pressure across the dash?
It just doesn't make sense and I'm highly skeptical.
We'll see tomorrow when i go in there.

oilburner

Jan 21, 2019
Truck Year
Depending on where you are, if the fuel was not winterized, or blended or whatever and it got cold, it can gel up or form wax and clog the filter, causing the engine to quit, if the engine quits, and the the ignition is on (still in run position) the oil pressure will go to 0, (engine not turning) and your dash will tell you no oil pressure
I don't know if that is in any way related to your first " engine failure" if it did have metal in the oil, that would have nothing to do with fuel system, but that could be your issue now.

I have been conscerned with the fuel filter location, out in the middle of nowhere over the drive shaft, seems like a dumb place for it, I have had one gel up with #2 diesel, not completely block, just lost power, so I changed the filter and problem went away

I will tell you that I have not been overwhelmed with confidence with some of the mopar mechanics around here

Joe

DrummerJon

Jan 22, 2019
Truck Year
I'm in Ontario, Canada. Its been cold lately.
The fuel should be winterized.

I have zero faith in this truck.

I posted in another thread but I went to pick it up today after they dropped the tank to clean it and replace the fuel filter.
As the service manager is going to get the fuel sample he promised to show me I went out to start my truck.
Wouldnt start. Just kept turning over.
I'm back in a rental for the 3rd time in 2+ weeks.

Your explanation for why i might have gotten the low oil pressure is leaps and bounds better than any explanation I've received from the dealership.
It could be related to the first low oil pressure. Makes a little more sense now that i have more info.
I only had a quarter tank of fuel the first time it happened. Hadn't filled up in 2+ weeks and it had been running fine since that fill up.
5 days after the first low oil pressure I filled the tank with fuel. A few days later I get the second low oil pressure. That's when the dealer found metal shavings in the oil. They replace motor and day after I pick it up another low oil pressure. That's when they determined the bad fuel.
Why didnt the wif light come on? They couldn't answer that. Service manager says not all vehicles have that. "Come on man? Are you serious?! Mine does and you should know that."

I just dont know.

Opened a case with FCA an hour ago.

Matthias

Jan 24, 2019
Truck Year
You’re making me scared now, I live in Hagersville ON and mine just pooped out on me with the stealership telling me I need a new intake manifold which is going to cost $4320 so now the truck is just sitting in my driveway with who knows what is getting frozen over.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I had a long conversation on a different thread regarding Gel Point, Freeze Point, Pour Point temperatures of Diesel fuel a little while back, suffice it to say even in Oklahoma I do not trust even the national chains to properly Winter Mix or Winterize their fuel. I have had one of the largest retail chains state that they do not Winterize (additive) their diesel because it does not get cold enough. Since I run a fuel conditioner year round I always switch to a winter additive. I would think it would be imperative in Canada that winter fuel additive would be a good to great idea. That being said Diesel Techs at most RAM dealers have been shown to be a little lacking. I would think that if fuel filter was clogged with Gelled fuel that you would receive a Low Fuel Pressure code upon scan of ECM. I have noted a lack of responsiveness of the Water In Fuel sensor on the threads contained here since I bought my truck two years ago, so I am not so sure it can be trusted. I use the factory recommended fuel filter change cycle but I drain the fuel filter at each oil change to, hopefully, remove any water.
Drummer - when the dealer R&R your engine there could have been air in your fuel lines, leak, poor mechanic, or your high pressure pump may not have been replaced with the engine, poor mechanic again, the electric lift pump in the fuel tank may have taken a vacation at the last minute, bad luck. Sorry to hear your string of luck, it is a little funny what is and what is not covered under warranty. Once the EPA thing here in the US is settled there are a list of things that I will do to my truck to make it a more durable engine, and I have had very few real issues with mine.

Richard Bays

May 30, 2016
Truck Year
Hey everyone. I'm new here and didn't read through many of the other threads, yet.
I have a 2017 Ecodiesel, purchased new. I ALMOST had it for 1 year before the problems started.
Just after this new years I got in my truck to head out for the day. I started it remotely to warm it up. Its chilly up here.
When I went outside to get in it it wasnt running. Said remote start canceled, or something like that. Didnt think much of it. When I started it again with the key it ran for 5 seconds then shut off. It read low oil pressure across the dash. Tried it again, same result.
Called for a warranty tow. Dealer got it and go figure, couldn't pull any codes. They do an oil change(because I needed one) and they send me on my way.
It's fine for a week, to the day.
I go to start it to go out for the day and doesnt it do it again. Runs for 5 seconds or so then shuts off, low oil pressure. I knew the problem wasnt solved the first time I had it in but now this is a second time in a week and a major inconvenience.
So, another warranty tow and a rental.
This time they have it for 3 days before I have to call them to see what the hell is up. Guess what, metal particles in the oil. They're putting a new motor in it. Awesome!(sarcasm).
I should mention it has 13,000km on it.
So they drop a new motor in it. I pick it up on a Friday(this past Friday, Jan 18). Runs nice on the short drive home.
Saturday morning....I woke my neigbours up....
Went out to warm it up to take my son out, brand new motor. Fire it up, shuts off. Low oil pressure. I'm pretty sure I said every curseword in multiple languages.
So the now they're crying bad fuel, not under warranty.
They say my fuel is bad. Water in the fuel. I filled up at a major gas station dec 17. First low oil pressure was Jan 2(when they couldn't pull any codes and just did an oil change), with Dec 17 gas. I refilled at a different but also major gas station Jan 8 and had the second low oil pressure Jan 10. That's when they cried new motor and had it til Jan 18. Jan 19, 3rd low oil pressure with new motor.
I just dont know. I want to get rid of this POS but I really do like it. It's already going to cost me 600 plus tax for them to drop the tank and replace the filter that they say was frozen!
So, who's had this happen to them??? LOL
Wow have had nothing but great starts. Only time it wouldnt start it was a low fuel alarm which makes sense. How is bad fuel going to drop your oil pressure?

hunter2016

Jan 30, 2019
Truck Year
Cold weather can be an issue as the fuel can crystalize at 32 degrees and can gel up at 10 degrees. Winterized if done right is suppose to go a bit lower but living in Wisconsin I tend to still add an additive to the fuel when the temps drop below freezing. The stations here change over in October so you would hope they would have it fully in their tanks when the real cold hits. I do have the grill cover (bra) on in the winter to keep the engine warmer. We'll see how it handles in the next day or so as I hit the road again, current temps have been 27 below and I tend to keep it in that garage and not drive it, will start driving again tomorrow when the temps will be in the single digits below zero. just an FYI one of the additives I use is opti-lube XP, frequently during the cold month, less so in the summer. They also have a blend just for winter but both need to be added before the fuel starts to crystalize or at the same time you pump the fuel. I have driven this now for a third winter and so far no issues - fingers crossed as this is about the coldest I have seen in 10 years.

DrummerJon

Jan 22, 2019
Truck Year
Ah its been nothing but problems. I give the dealership SOME credit. It seems like they're trying.
The day after they replaced the motor it wouldnt start for the 3rd time, in my driveway. Another low oil pressure alarm.
Towed back. That's when they said bad fuel which I'm skeptical about. I paid out of pocket 700 bucks to have the tank dropped and cleaned and new filter and so on.
When I went to pick it up, it wouldnt start at the dealership.
It was a long crank. So they've had it another week now for a total of something like 22 days this month alone.
They would start it daily and drive it and it was ok but then one afternoon when they tried to start it it had a long crank and wouldn't start.
Now they're saying the injector pump may need to be replaced and they said they're trying hard to make sure itll be covered under warranty.
Just unreal. What a lemon. Canada doesnt have a lemon law and going the route of CAMVAP doesnt sound too appealing.
I've been trying to get a trade in price and they wont give me one. FCA has been zero help.
FML

Perry Coan

Mar 21, 2016
Truck Year
My 14 has always been a pig to start when we go up to Mammoth lakes in the winter. If its less than 20 degrees i have to park in the garage and block heat. When it won't start it throws every code the truck has including low oil pressure.

podhauler

Oct 22, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
2018 ED, 23,000 kms, my GDE tune seems to be doing well for me with the cold starts on the East Coast. -28oC (real temp, not "feels like")on several occasions. I do use Shell premium diesel or AMSOIL "all in one". So far, starts right up, no white smoke, very little cold diesel knock.

DrummerJon

Jan 22, 2019
Truck Year
Well now the whole fuel system needs to be replaced, not under warranty. $6600 just in parts.
My insurance wont cover it. FCA has been useless.
I just emailed the owner/president of the dealership. Hes owns a few in the GTA. We'll see what he says.

I'm at a loss for words.

DaveRH

Feb 5, 2019
Truck Year
Ah its been nothing but problems. I give the dealership SOME credit. It seems like they're trying.
The day after they replaced the motor it wouldnt start for the 3rd time, in my driveway. Another low oil pressure alarm.
Towed back. That's when they said bad fuel which I'm skeptical about. I paid out of pocket 700 bucks to have the tank dropped and cleaned and new filter and so on.
When I went to pick it up, it wouldnt start at the dealership.
It was a long crank. So they've had it another week now for a total of something like 22 days this month alone.
They would start it daily and drive it and it was ok but then one afternoon when they tried to start it it had a long crank and wouldn't start.
Now they're saying the injector pump may need to be replaced and they said they're trying hard to make sure itll be covered under warranty.
Just unreal. What a lemon. Canada doesnt have a lemon law and going the route of CAMVAP doesnt sound too appealing.
I've been trying to get a trade in price and they wont give me one. FCA has been zero help.
FML

They make Lemon laws for a reason. You have one.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Well now the whole fuel system needs to be replaced, not under warranty. $6600 just in parts.
My insurance wont cover it. FCA has been useless.
I just emailed the owner/president of the dealership. Hes owns a few in the GTA. We'll see what he says.

I'm at a loss for words.

Total fake lies, Call Me I will help you get around this.. its common problem ( At dealerships) on the 3.0 and when done I hope you can afford to dump the 3.0. Todd 763-228-7121... In my XX years of automotive and manufacturing career the 3.0 Pegs my gauge on complaints and premature failures.

Last edited:

DrummerJon

Jan 22, 2019
Truck Year
Total fake lies, Call Me I will help you get around this.. its common problem ( At dealerships) on the 3.0 and when done I hope you can afford to dump the 3.0. Todd 763-228-7121... In my XX years of automotive and manufacturing career the 3.0 Pegs my gauge on complaints and premature failures.

I will call you for sure. Thank you.
I picked it up this past Thursday and so far so good.
I did manage to get some info out of the service manager.
He said the tech tested the pressure at the injectors and it was fine. Said the high pressure fuel pump was making some noise and probably sustained some damage.
He pretty much put the blame on FCA for wanting to replace the whole fuel system out of my pocket.
I'm taking it to another local dealer to have it looked at and have them see what they see. Maybe replace the HPFP, maybe not.
That was the off the record suggestion from the original dealer.

DrummerJon

Jan 22, 2019
Truck Year
I guess I should have mentioned that I DIDNT have the whole fuel system replaced as per their recommendation.