• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Running a Tune, and going to a dealer?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Many are tuned and have issues with the dealer wanting to update your ECM. But once you're tuned that update overrides your custom tuning. This should help and hopefully the technician will not go as far as taking it off to do it.

We all know how well most service writers listen...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ASKRKQY/?tag=jhdiesel-20

no_flash.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
Hey Boostn I guess a better question is, who has went to the dealer with a tune? Warranty denied right there?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I wouldn't go in for warranty work with that plug. Just screams that you have a tune. Out of warranty? Sure, go for it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I wouldn't go in for warranty work with that plug. Just screams that you have a tune. Out of warranty? Sure, go for it!

Yea, but when they flash over a $500 tune, that's no fun either.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
$500 tune? hahaha where's that one at???

I get what you're saying. I just would rather say don't flash it because it's running great rather then throw a big ol sign up there that broadcasts a tune. To each their own tho. Neither way is perfect, nor moral for that matter.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
$500 tune? hahaha where's that one at???

I get what you're saying. I just would rather say don't flash it because it's running great rather then throw a big ol sign up there that broadcasts a tune. To each their own tho. Neither way is perfect, nor moral for that matter.

I was being a little conservative! You're right, either way is no good. I've seen some folks actually drill a small hole in the side of the port, and put a small suitcase style lock on there so if anyone tries to plug something in, it won't make the full connection.

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
If you have the tune in the truck wouldn't it be possible to have a back up from gde to just plug it in to the port after they flash it to put it back in

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Doesn't work that way. The 'tune' is bench flashed to the ECM. You can't just update it through the OBD port. You actually swap them out.

Although you could have a backup GDE tuned ECM, but it'll cost you. Total would be 2 tunes AND a spare ECM which aren't cheap either.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
GDE says you pay 50 bucks to get your tune back but that means you have to send ECM back to them they reprogram it which you would have a truck you can't use for a while till you get it back through the mail which is another added expense seems to me that there should be a simpler less expensive and smarter way

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
$50 for a refresh of a previously flashed tune. But to have a 2nd, seperate flashed ECM is an additional purchase. IE big $$$.

Lots of people keep their stock OEM to swap in when they visit a dealer or have problems unexpectedly. Just an expensive paper weight in my opinion.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have a spare stock PCM. If there is a reason to update or flash the truck's PCM my Service Manager installs my spare, flashes it and reinstalls my tuned PCM. He supports the tune and takes precautions to not flash the tuned PCM - a great Service Manager for sure! He usually charges me $60.00, which I gladly pay in lieu of doing the work myself.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have a spare stock PCM. If there is a reason to update or flash the truck's PCM my Service Manager installs my spare, flashes it and reinstalls my tuned PCM. He supports the tune and takes precautions to not flash the tuned PCM - a great Service Manager for sure! He usually charges me $60.00, which I gladly pay in lieu of doing the work myself.

Those types are hard to come by!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I went in a month or so back to get the ORC module flashed for the safety recall and specifically asked them not to flash the pcm or tcm. I did not want the new programs, they auto assumed I had a tune and understood but I was just holding to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" standpoint which he also understood.

Said they used to automatically flash update anytime a vehicle was in but fca pulled that free rein flashing authority from them because it was doing more harm than good (imagine that) having every vehicle that came in go out with the latest and greatest software... for about a week til the new one comes out fixing x, y, and z.

Anyways thought I'd share the experience.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
That's about my experience as well. My dealer won't flash unless it's a solution to a problem.

Marl Ward

Jan 9, 2018
Truck Year
Anyone smart enough to spend 700 + for a tune should also be smart enough to spend the extra money to retain their EMU that way your issues are taken care of who cares if they flash the stock EMU anyway. I get a kick out of this talk of tunes. If you all read you manual you will see that anything that modifies the OEM parameters will essentially void your warranty if the dealer or manufacturer finds out about it. Putting on a cover that says no flash screems very loud and clear I have a fasho and you better not touch. I would be careful or wait until you are out of warranty and have nothing to loose

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
For those who keep their original ECM and plan to switch out when going back to the dealership I think may be in for a surprise. If dealer connects to the ECM to read the data points and see very few like regens lacking & etc based on mileage truck has they will know the ECM has been swapped out. I think this will then place one in the area where warranty claims can be denied.

John

Nov 13, 2015
For those who keep their original ECM and plan to switch out when going back to the dealership I think may be in for a surprise. If dealer connects to the ECM to read the data points and see very few like regens lacking & etc based on mileage truck has they will know the ECM has been swapped out. I think this will then place one in the area where warranty claims can be denied.

You give the dealership too much credit. Anyway, not the case with our ECU according to GDE.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

That's a fact on GM's ECM's for the Duramax. If Ram does the same, I don't know.

But yes, the dealer really has to go the extra mile to "get the goods".