• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Running DEF to empty

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
DEF is very important to the DPF/SCR cleaning cycle. If the cycle cannot complete, then a very expensive service is in the future. I hate the having to add DEF, but it is a necessary evil and I believe will get cheaper with time as more diesels will require it.
What would be nice is if we could make it ourselves. (purified water and Urea, right?)

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
Your truck will let you know at varying fill levels ( all low ) that you should add fluid. The truck, i believe, will not allow you to continue if the tank runs dry. All is described in the owners manual. Hope the info helps.

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
DEF is very important to the DPF/SCR cleaning cycle. If the cycle cannot complete, then a very expensive service is in the future. I hate the having to add DEF, but it is a necessary evil and I believe will get cheaper with time as more diesels will require it.
What would be nice is if we could make it ourselves. (purified water and Urea, right?)

You mean I shouldn't be taking a leak in the tank? Lol.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
With about 1500 KM on the truck, I only had to add DEF once. It was approaching the red line. Went to Flying J truck stop, put in 10.00 worth from DEF pump, (0.79 per litre) it fill up 2/3. Still running on that fill up. I'm trying to fill up just enough for six months at current pace, so I don't have old DEF.

Michel

Dec 11, 2015
Truck Year
Interesting discussion about DEF. My RAM is new (3,000 km) and DEF tank is still indicating Half. Does someone know if there is different quality for DEF?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Interesting discussion about DEF. My RAM is new (3,000 km) and DEF tank is still indicating Half. Does someone know if there is different quality for DEF?

DEF is DEF. It has an ISO standard that must be met by the manufactures.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I did read somewhere, that the percentage of Urea and water is critical, (ISO Standard) so they don't recommend people to make their own. Their is a shelf life (one year or longer depending on storage conditions) and if you put in old/bad DEF, the EVIC will tell you to change the DEF, which can be a nuisance and you have to pay for the trouble, not covered under warranty.

Some had to replace their sensors, because replacing the DEF didn't fix the problem. I would suspect the DEF was okay, just bad sensor and truck owner paid for the dealers misdiagnosis.

One reason why I don't buy bottle stuff, expiration dates can be hard to read and with so many corporations purposely/accidentally mislabeling their products. Also more expensive usually. Who wants to carry a bunch of bottles of stuff?

VW a good example of the honesty that exist in big business.

I figure I have better chance at a busy truck stop for fresh DEF.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
That's the beauty of it we have a bulk system at my work to fill the tractors so I just go get a splash when need be. The biggest issues we have seen in the past 5 years since case tractors started running an SCR sensor are NOX sensor failures as well as def quality and downstream temp sensors. The sensors are very touchy because of the emissions requirements the systems must maintain and tend to fail regularly. We have seen plenty of tank contamination but I don't see most of us having those issues are we are not off road in fields 24-7. You do not want air to come in contact with the system anymore than necessary as it crystallizes almost instantly. One last thing both case ih tractor and ram truck are owned by FIAT so I would not be the least bit surprised most components for SCR are sourced from same vendors and similar issues.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
When we got the cold weather and didn't have winter blanket on the hood, the filter would climb a percent every KM or so and I would drive 20 km and the radiator never got up to normal temperature (200-220 f). Once I put the blanket on fully, back to normal and I notice the filter take longer to reach 65 percent. My DEF consumption drop back a lot. Especially when taking long trip with the blanket on, DEF consumption sure drop a lot.