• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Safety Recall 66A Loss of crank shaft position

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
So I had my cruise on 100 km/hr and it dropped out and servuce light came on. i read the code and it was P0336 loss of
Crankshaft position. On the same day I received the safety recall and read up on the issue with the magnetic tone ring that losses a magentic tooth that causes the crank shaft position sensor to throw an error, loss in power, hatd to start. Basically throws your timing and injection out. So called the dealer and apparently the parts are not available. This will most likely be the last RAM I own. What kind of company issues a recall but cant supply the parts for their poos engineering design. They will have to drop the tranny to get at the crank sensor and tone ring on trucks manufactured from 2014 to 2017 and 2019. Apparently they can program the ecm to run off the cam sensor as a temporary fix. My truck is now at the dealer so we will see what they come up with.

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
Fy
So I had my cruise on 100 km/hr and it dropped out and servuce light came on. i read the code and it was P0336 loss of
Crankshaft position. On the same day I received the safety recall and read up on the issue with the magnetic tone ring that losses a magentic tooth that causes the crank shaft position sensor to throw an error, loss in power, hatd to start. Basically throws your timing and injection out. So called the dealer and apparently the parts are not available. This will most likely be the last RAM I own. What kind of company issues a recall but cant supply the parts for their poos engineering design. They will have to drop the tranny to get at the crank sensor and tone ring on trucks manufactured from 2014 to 2017 and 2019. Apparently they can program the ecm to run off the cam sensor as a temporary fix. My truck is now at the dealer so we will see what they come up with.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
"What kind of company issues a recall but cant supply the parts for their poos engineering design?"
Every vehicle manufacturer there is right now is having the same issues.

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
So I got
Some good news, the dealer in Barrie diagnosed my truck with a faulty Tone Ring and although parts are not available through the recall, they called the Chrysler plant and got a tone ring shipped from the production line due to the fact that my truck is down. It will take 1.5 weeks to get the part and 1.5 days labour to split the tranny and replace the tone ring. All covered under the recall by FCA. I had to pay for a Ram 1500 rental upfront but FCA will reimburse upon my submission of expense to them but They said I have to rent a Chrysler product. Im driving the 2023 Bighorn with the Hemi
And love it so far.
they could not do the recall on the high pressure fuel
Pump as no parts are available. Now if my truck was down due to a failure of the pump I'm sure they would get the part from the production line.
For disclosure,I will never go
To Mac Lang in Orillia again as they have turned me away non stop….most likely because I didn't by my Ram from them. Completely useless dealer.

colbert21

Oct 18, 2023
Truck Year
I have had the same problem. My truck has been down since 08/30/23 and keep getting told there is no parts at this time. Have you got your truck fixed now?

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
Yes, there were no parts available for the recall so the dealer in Barrie got them
Somehow through a district parts manager from Ram. It took two weeks to get the parts and 2 days to fix the truck. But yes I have my truck back now and all is good. And FCA will pay for your rental as long as you rent a Ram dodge or Chrysler product. Make sure you get a case number from FCA and call them and record peoples names and what they say. Get someone to commit to the rental from FCA. You have to pay for the rental up front and submit the invoice to the dealer that is fixing your truck. They submit the rental invoice with the total repair bill. FCA cuts them a cheque and the dealer gives you the cash back.

colbert21

Oct 18, 2023
Truck Year
I have called FCA every week. Declined the rental. My Chrysler dealership also I have been calling and I just keep getting the same answers from both that there is no part or remedy to fix my truck. Its been beyond frustrating. They say they don't know if its the tone wheel or the sensor. I wonder if I should just pay to get it fixed and then get a reimbursement.

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
Depends on the dealer, the Orillia dealer was useless. The Barrie dealer was great. If you are out if a vehicle FCA owes you reimbursement if its the tone ring issue. Its best to get it diagnosed first at the dealer and once its determined that it is the tone ring issue then they have no choice but to fix it and provide a rental or you rent and they reimburse. FCA will drag their heals until you get it diagnosed.

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
The dealer called me back and said , “we diagnosed your engine fault and its the Tone Ring which is all covered under the safety recall”.
i’m not sure if they replaced the sensor. It would only make sense to replace the sensor as you have to split the transmission from the engine to change the tone ring and sensor. 1.5 to 2 days labour to do the recall job. Not an easy fix at all.

colbert21

Oct 18, 2023
Truck Year
Man I am getting nowhere with my dealership or FCA. I guess ill have to get a lawyer involved at some point. Could you find out if your dealer replaced just the Tone ring or both Tone ring and Sensor?

Moose1269

Mar 16, 2019
Truck Year
Sure ill looks at the paperwork again and see if it mentions the sensor on it. I think its pretty vague, and if so Ill call the dealer back. They owe me 1175.00 for my rental and its been about a month so ill follow up with them.
give me a bit of time as I'm up north at the moment.

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
To my knowledge this recall went out to 2014 models originally. Now we got it for newer trucks. They have no "fix", but they do have the old failed part available I guess. It's a ditto situation with the in tank fuel pump. There's nobody going to build a improved part till people die and sue. They want you to buy their stuff, but offer very little if any support after the sale. And if you go to trade it in they will lowball you on it as it has 2 recalls! LOL

Back in the 90's the Grand Cherokee had issues with the fuel pump. The gas gauge senders were faulty. Lots of people ran out of gas. They would just put a new failed part back in. Finally a female attorney in the Chicago area (she had the part replaced once) was on surface streets at night in a crappy part of town which is like most of Chicago! Gauge showed more than 1/4 tank. She ran out of gas and was gang raped all night long. She and her firm sued the hell out of Chrysler. Millions. Of course there was no contest. Chrysler decided they best fix it.

When the new 2001 Rams came out they thought it best to change the design of the 9.25 rear axle LSD. They made new keeps for the springs. I suppose after decades of a successful rear axle they needed a change. Many of these failed. They never came up with a fix as it could not be proved someone died. But they did advise to use full synthetic oil instead of regular oil and additive. My brother in law had a 2003 as well. His failed at least twice.

2005 and 2006 Wranglers had a change of the OPDA oil pump drive assembly. It's basically a distributor drive. For about 100 years most all distributor drives used a steel shaft with spirals cut into them to carry oil up to bronze bushings. Trustworthy design. In 2005 they went to steel bushings on a steel shaft with minimum oil getting to the bottom bushing and the top bushing was sealed off. WHY?? LOL Terrible amount of failures on these. I rebuilt dozens and dozens of them for people. Many of these failures caused complete destruction of the engine.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Tone wheel and sensor replacement while in Mexico last spring. I order both parts from MX and Edmonton and then reordered from Greece and had them in a week from Greece! Save the set from Edmonton as a spare set just in case that was at 245,000 km. I replaced the sensor at the same time due to its location!
Just a note FCM would not cover the cost at all, said in was out of warranty so much their recalls!”IMG_8610.jpeg

IMG_8610.jpegIMG_8608.jpegIMG_8610.jpeg

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I had mine replaced last summer (also did the CPS and the rear main seal), the warranty period was up so I did it just to be on the safe side since I had a couple trips planned and didn't want a failure on the road. It was cheaper than having to get an RV and my truck towed, cancelling reservations, and then a non warranty repair on top of it all.
The old ring I had replaced had not failed but I will say it did have a lot of spiderweb cracks on it so failure may have been in the cards.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
My tone ring a had no other visible cracks other than the chunk that fell away! Rear crank shaft seal would have been a smart thing for me to have done what is CPS not familiar with that term! Just in case there is a next time!

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
My tone ring a had no other visible cracks other than the chunk that fell away! Rear crank shaft seal would have been a smart thing for me to have done what is CPS not familiar with that term! Just in case there is a next time!
Same thing you had done, "Crankshaft Positioning Sensor"

blender_eco

Jun 18, 2023
Truck Year
I had mine replaced last summer (also did the CPS and the rear main seal), the warranty period was up so I did it just to be on the safe side since I had a couple trips planned and didn't want a failure on the road. It was cheaper than having to get an RV and my truck towed, cancelling reservations, and then a non warranty repair on top of it all.
The old ring I had replaced had not failed but I will say it did have a lot of spiderweb cracks on it so failure may have been in the cards.
Hi 1shadowsabre, I’m curious what yr your Ram Ecodiesel is and the mileage? I have a 2016 with 66,000 miles and wondering if I need to get this done for my truck as well. What was the cost to have the ring and CPS replaced? Thank You for posting as I just received the 66A safety Recall for software fix to run off CPS and not tone ring however not a true fix for the $5,000 option payed for the EcoDiesel motor over the 5.7L Hemi

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
2015 RAM bought new. 70000 miles
The software fix warranty for the tone ring/reluctor wheel was 8 years from purchase date of truck. My warranty expired in July of 23 so it was on me if it failed at that point. Being as I had some fall camping trips planned it was cheaper to have the work done as insurance rather than cancel a trip, have my truck and trailer towed, and then have the truck repaired! I called it insurance. $1600 parts and labor at the dealer.