• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service Electronic Throttle Control warning - Limp mode

DavWatByron

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
My 2014 Ram 1500 ecodiesel suddenly went into limp mode and the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" warning lit up. I pulled over and had the vehicle towed to the dealership on Saturday. Today is Wednesday and the dealer has yet to give me a firm diagnosis. However, the service rep says that the mechanic is almost 99% sure that it is the turbo. I'm concerned we're talking major $$$ here. The truck has 99, 902 miles and has been regularly serviced by the dealer. I recently had the truck in the service department for the approved emissions modification recall. The dealer also performed a multi-point inspection at 97,715 miles with no problems. So my thoughts / concerns are; 1. if the Turbo needs to be replaced, would the truck give me the warning "Service Electronic Throttle Control"? 2. Does this type of problem just suddenly appear? Why didn't it show up when the dealership did the multi-point inspection 2,000 miles ago? 3. Could this issue be related to the recall performed by the dealership for the approved emissions modification recall? 4. Would any of this be covered under the extended warranty?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Service Electronic Throttle Control can be from a number of different issues. I'm guessing it's likely not the turbo. In any case you should be covered under warranty. If not powertrain the AEM extended warranty should kick in,

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Don't quote me on this, but couldn't a carbon'd up MAP sensor (plugged up) throw the code also?? When's the last time you pulled the MAP and cleaned it?

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
Mine has done that three times. All due to the plenum/screen getting carboned up. It's a pain because it takes two miles to get it up to 60 mph - it's basically a little 3.0 liter engine with NO turbo trying to move 2-1/2 tons of truck. I dreaded it happening when pulling my 6300 lb. RV...

DavWatByron

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
The service manager called me and confirmed that the turbo needs to be replaced. Parts and labor = $ 4,094.00. As mentioned in my initial post, I had the dealer perform the Approved Emissions Modification in July. As part of the settlement, FCA provides an extended warranty for each eligible vehicle that receives the Approved Emissions Modification. The extended warranty becomes effective immediately upon completion of the modification. The extended warranty covers the cost in full. If I didn't have the modification done on the truck, the regular warranty would have already expired. Truck should be ready tomorrow. I think I'll go buy a lottery ticket.