• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service Electronic Throttle Control

EcoClay95

Dec 12, 2018
Truck Year
So here’s my question. Purchased a 2015 eco 1 month ago with 65k miles on it. Keep have the p0299 service electronic throttle light. Will a gde tune and deletes work and block off plates work, or will I still get that code every now and then? Any other maintenance things I need to perform as well?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If your problem is the intake, no it won't remove P0299. If you delete and replace the plenum, that should cure the P0299 But it goona be spend$$$

7Milesup

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
If your problem is the intake, no it won't remove P0299. If you delete and replace the plenum, that should cure the P0299 But it goona be spend$$$

That is not correct. All he needs is to do is install the GDE tune and he will be good to go.

EcoClay95

Dec 12, 2018
Truck Year
Sounds good. Cause the dealership has told me that it’s alp a computer based thing.

7Milesup

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
So here’s my question. Purchased a 2015 eco 1 month ago with 65k miles on it. Keep have the p0299 service electronic throttle light. Will a gde tune and deletes work and block off plates work, or will I still get that code every now and then? Any other maintenance things I need to perform as well?

I would clean the intake as best as possible along with either cleaning the MAP (not MAF, that is different) sensor. Install the GDE tune which shuts off the EGR electronically and you should be good to go. I was lucky that my manifold got replaced, which if you are mechanical could be done fairly easy but they are about $800 for an OEM one from Rock Auto. You could walnut shell blast the interior of it too once you have the motor. If all of that does not seem like an option for you, get the tune, install it and then drive. ;)

7Milesup

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
I have no experience with other tunes but here is my take on it... GDE does their tune mostly for a better driving experience such as throttle response and cruise control enhancements, just to name a very few of what they all do. Other tuners seem to focus on making as much HP and torque as possible, which for this engine I believe is a no no. I have talked to Keith at GDE a few times and they always answered my questions along with the fact that it seems that they have really done their homework on making this engine run well.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
That is not correct. All he needs is to do is install the GDE tune and he will be good to go.
Wishful thinking,

It has 65K miles likely its Sooted up....

On Edit corrected the plenum

Last edited:

EcoClay95

Dec 12, 2018
Truck Year
I definitely don’t have any problem cleaning the difuser and map sensor. That’s about as far as I go mechanically. Anything else I can do?

7Milesup

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
Not that I can really think of. As you can see by my pictures I posted, my intake was pretty bad. If I were you, I would get the tune and drive it. Most likely, if there are any serious mechanical issues, like bottom end bearings, they would have already spun.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Mine had 42K miles and was foamed clean 3 times, Before it was replaced. if the truck starts to pulsate you will know the problem, The TV was also cleaned at EGR/Plenum removal. I would look inside and if the swirl gates are all sooted up well? , the tune will stop any more sooting but how much performance is lost if its cake up bad. its looked about 1/2 as bad as this one...

57273d1511852468-egr-intake-manifold-soot-crap.jpg

EcoClay95

Dec 12, 2018
Truck Year
Let’s just say I might go argue with the dealer about my intake being sooted up before I go voiding my warranty. Maybe get that done on their dollar before I do the delete tune.

sknuth

May 23, 2019
Truck Year
I have no experience with other tunes but here is my take on it... GDE does their tune mostly for a better driving experience such as throttle response and cruise control enhancements, just to name a very few of what they all do. Other tuners seem to focus on making as much HP and torque as possible, which for this engine I believe is a no no. I have talked to Keith at GDE a few times and they always answered my questions along with the fact that it seems that they have really done their homework on making this engine run well.

Also a fellow ecodiesel victim in Wisconsin here. We have a Jeep that has been amazing and that’s the reason I bought my 1500 ecodiesel.

What features/modifications did you do with your GDE tune? I’m thinking high idle for winters, deleting the DEF (my county doesn’t emission test). Was your EGR mod a special request?

NamVet426

Sep 20, 2017
Truck Year
I am a new member (obviously) and certainly realize that there are other threads on here concerning the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" message along with the CEL illuminating. I started a new thread because I don't want a "me too" buried in someone's thread. In fact, I think this is such an issue that everyone should start a new thread. Well, anyhow, here is my short story...

Purchased a used 2015 ED Laramie with about 85,000 miles on it. Yep, lot of miles, but I figured that was good since they were highway miles. I don't (can't) buy new truck(s) because I can't afford it (well, actually I can but have better things to spend my money on).
Had this truck three months and got the Service ETC about a month ago. Cleaned the boost sensor a few times along with the intake tube. Replaced boost sensor. Still ETC message. Took it to the dealer, which has been great to my family for decades (small town). They have had it a month and replaced a part of the intake snorkel, which apparently had a crack in it, along with the MAP sensor. Thought they had it fixed. Took it home today and 20 miles it throws the code again. I have no hope of getting this truck fixed frankly.

The mechanic did mention that there is a service bulletin coming out along with a PCM update regarding the P0299 code, but he did not know of a time frame.

I bought an extended powertrain warranty but so far that has not done me much good. I believe I am out of luck regarding any lemon laws (Wisconsin). Do I have any recourse other than what the dealer might do for me? Or am I just SOL?

NamVet426

Sep 20, 2017
Truck Year
I had a simular issue, called another dealer who said bring it by tomorrow, Dropped by Service manager came out and scanned codes, had done this already. He suggested clearing the codes and taking a good ride up some hills holding. the rpm up. While doing this the truck performed a regeneration. I have not had an issue since.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I had a simular issue, called another dealer who said bring it by tomorrow, Dropped by Service manager came out and scanned codes, had done this already. He suggested clearing the codes and taking a good ride up some hills holding. the rpm up. While doing this the truck performed a regeneration. I have not had an issue since.
Keep your MAP sensor clean too

Mzwolle

Jul 1, 2019
Truck Year
I performed the emissions recall on Friday, Got the ETC warning today. Never had a problem with this truck until. Now. 75K miles.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Apparently the parameters on some of the systems are not as wide as before, causing the truck to suddenly throw codes. Service your MAP sensor and clean the EGR diffuser tube and see if it clears it.

cozycabin

May 3, 2019
Truck Year
Has anyone here put on a Banks intake manifold? How hard was it? How much happier did it make you? Having just tuned I'm trying to shore up some other problems to see if I can make this last and be enjoyable, cac pipe, oil catch, intake pipe, egr delete, still have my def. I had nothing working for me till now vs the EGR, so at 43K I"m sure mine is a black cave.

Just curious if any driveway meddlers like me had already done this and what they thought.

cozycabin

May 3, 2019
Truck Year
I did get a bit of the surge at stoplights pre AEM, so guessing my swirl valves are stuck.