• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Settlement Warranty

flyingpig333

Jun 21, 2016
Truck Year
Does anyone know what all is included in the new extended warranty that will be a part of the settlement? Will it cover issues with the emissions systems? I am having intermittent CEL for "Particulate Matter Sensor Circuit". Any thoughts on this, as well as the CEL issue would be very much appreciated. Thx!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The whole settle is here https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/content/dam/fcacourtsettlement/pdf/DOJ_Consent_Decree.pdf

As you read the pages form pages 80 + FCA is NOW ordered to report violations to the EPA, They are also ordered to monitor and implement

Subject to standard limitations that must be identified to Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees, which may set forth exclusions like accident, abuse, neglect, or installation of noncertified parts, and applicable existing warranty provisions that will remain in effect, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair the items listed below.

• Catalysts o Diesel Oxidation Catalyst / Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Assembly o Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) Catalyst
• Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System
o DEF Injector o DEF Injector Controller
o DEF Storage Tank o DEF Delivery Lines
o DEF Concentration Sensor (2016 Model Year Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee only) o DEF Supply Module, Pump, & Temperature Sensor Unit
• Parts of the Fuel System
o Low Pressure Fuel Pump Module & Level Unit
o Fuel Injectors
o Fuel Rail
o High Pressure Fuel Line o High Pressure Injection Pump & Regulator Unit
• Parts of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System
o EGR Cooler Tubes
o EGR Cooler
o EGR Valve
o EGR Temperature Sensor
o EGR Cooler bypass actuator
• Other Sensors That Are Covered
o Oxygen Sensors
o NOx Sensors
o Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor
o Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
o Fuel/Water Separator Sensor o Intake Swirl Actuator Sensor
o Engine Camshaft Position Sensor
o Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor
o Particulate Matter Sensor
o Mass Airflow Sensor
o Boost Pressure Sensor
o Crankcase Pressure Sensor
o Exhaust Manifold Pressure Sensor .
Throttle Valve
o Exhaust Temperature Sensor
o DPF Differential Pressure Sensor
• Engine Control Module (Computer)
• Transmission Control Module (Computer)/Valve Body & Solenoids
• Throttle Valve
• Cylinder Head Assembly, Including Valves, Springs, Valve Spring Keepers, Valve Seats, Cam Bearing Caps, and Manifold Studs (Camshaft and other components of the assembly are not covered)
• Engine Thermostat/housing/gasket
• The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators.

Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunctions that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty.

flyingpig333

Jun 21, 2016
Truck Year
Wow....that's what I was hoping to see! Until such time this is enforce, if I have issues with any of the above the dealership will want to bill the repairs since my truck is past 36,000 miles.....thanks for the info....

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Does anyone know what all is included in the new extended warranty that will be a part of the settlement? Will it cover issues with the emissions systems? I am having intermittent CEL for "Particulate Matter Sensor Circuit". Any thoughts on this, as well as the CEL issue would be very much appreciated. Thx!

It would be covered, Even right Now....

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
The whole settle is here https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/content/dam/fcacourtsettlement/pdf/DOJ_Consent_Decree.pdf

As you read the pages form pages 80 + FCA is NOW ordered to report violations to the EPA, They are also ordered to monitor and implement

Subject to standard limitations that must be identified to Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees, which may set forth exclusions like accident, abuse, neglect, or installation of noncertified parts, and applicable existing warranty provisions that will remain in effect, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair the items listed below.

• Catalysts o Diesel Oxidation Catalyst / Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Assembly o Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) Catalyst
o DEF Concentration Sensor (2016 Model Year Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee only) o DEF Supply Module, Pump, & Temperature Sensor Unit
o Fuel Injectors
o Fuel Rail
o EGR Cooler Tubes
o EGR Cooler
o EGR Valve
o EGR Temperature Sensor
o Oxygen Sensors
o NOx Sensors
o Mass Airflow Sensor
o Boost Pressure Sensor
Throttle Valve
• Throttle Valve
• Cylinder Head Assembly, Including Valves, Springs, Valve Spring Keepers, Valve Seats, Cam Bearing Caps, and Manifold Studs (Camshaft and other components of the assembly are not covered)
• The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators.

Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunctions that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty.
thank you for posting that! This gives me 3 more years of care free ownership of everything except for the main bearing problem. I don't see that the block (heads are covered) is covered.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year

o Fuel Injectors
o Fuel Rail
o EGR Cooler Tubes
o EGR Cooler
o EGR Valve
o EGR Temperature Sensor
o Oxygen Sensors
o NOx Sensors
o Mass Airflow Sensor
o Boost Pressure Sensor
Throttle Valve
• Throttle Valve

Wow - thanks for this information. I downloaded the entire document (mostly legalese...) and will have it in my back pocket! I had problems with coolant disappearing and the culprit was diagnosed this week to be a faulty EGR Cooler - which appears to be covered within the settlement. At this moment in time, the dealership is charging me $2900.00 in parts and labor to replace this. They claim it's not covered under my 100,000 mile engine/drivetrain warranty, nor under 'emissions.' So hopefully I can strongarm someone at FCA to refund my soon-to-be much lighter wallet. (They've had the truck three days, and might have it over the upcoming weekend, though the dealership did provide me a 2018 Jeep Compass to drive around until mine is fixed.)

John

Nov 13, 2015
Wow - thanks for this information. I downloaded the entire document (mostly legalese...) and will have it in my back pocket! I had problems with coolant disappearing and the culprit was diagnosed this week to be a faulty EGR Cooler - which appears to be covered within the settlement. At this moment in time, the dealership is charging me $2900.00 in parts and labor to replace this. They claim it's not covered under my 100,000 mile engine/drivetrain warranty, nor under 'emissions.' So hopefully I can strongarm someone at FCA to refund my soon-to-be much lighter wallet. (They've had the truck three days, and might have it over the upcoming weekend, though the dealership did provide me a 2018 Jeep Compass to drive around until mine is fixed.)
The warranty doesn't start until after final court approval and after the software update. Would be nice if you could get it covered now but not likely going to happen

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If the DPF is a major emission component the ERG is equally use.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Here's the EPA letter:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the federal emissions warranty. The Clean Air Act requires manufactures of light duty vehicles to warranty the emissions control system performance for 2 years or 24,000 miles and 8 years or 80,000 miles for specified major emissions control components which are: 1) the catalytic converter, 2) the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and 3) the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. Additionally, manufactures are required to warranty any emission control or emission related component that fails to function or functions improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship for 2 years or 24,000 miles (8 years or 80,000 miles for specified major emissions control components) under the emissions defect warranty.

The following web page provides more information regarding the federal emissions warranty requirements: www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Vehicle technology is constantly changing; therefore there may be emissions control components or emissions related components which do not appear on this list. The 2 years/24,000 mile federal emissions warranty still applies to these components. A more complete list can be found in your owner's manual/warranty booklet. The specified major emissions control components are specified in the Clean Air Act as: 1) the catalytic converter, 2) the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and 3) the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. The diesel SCR catalytic converter, Diesel oxidation converter, and the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) are considered catalytic converters covered under the 8 year/80,000 mile warranty, however, the other components in the SCR system (e.g. exhaust sensors, DEF tank, valves, hoses, etc) are covered under the 2 year/24,000 mile warranties mentioned above.

I hope this information is helpful,

Joel Ball
Light-Duty Vehicle Group
Compliance Division
United States Environmental Protection Agency

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
If you have a currently leaking EGR cooler, the answer then seems to be to pull it out, put it in a box and when you get your recall notice hand it to the service manager and tell him to put in a good one.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I consider the EGR not only a major component ,its also defective in every 3.0 in America, and when the AEM is loaded the EGR will become more Defective. I know My relationship with FCA cannot be consider average ,none the less FCA replace The Plenum and EGR at no cost to Me , on the platform it was defective. if the EGR is NOT consider major ...I see NO problem with it being defeated. "Well " its not a major component So its not necessary, it would be no different than muffler removal..

Attachments

• Ecodiesel EGR_Intake Repl 11 7 18.pdf
    749.3 KB · Views: 41

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
I consider the EGR not only a major component ,its also defective in every 3.0 in America, and when the AEM is loaded the EGR will become more Defective. I know My relationship with FCA cannot be consider average ,none the less FCA replace The Plenum and EGR at no cost to Me , on the platform it was defective. if the EGR is NOT consider major ...I see NO problem with it being defeated. "Well " its not a major component So its not necessary, it would be no different than muffler removal..
Interesting. This document provided looks identical to my Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership's repair document and they're indicating a $2900 charge for me. As noted, I should be able to be reimbursed for this work at some point, but it's interesting how some dealerships are apparently covering it. Maybe I should have driven it to that dealership in Minnesota. ;-)

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Just stand your ground....Even as adamant as I've been about the 3.0 short comings , I still Support FCA both in My Purchases and Investments, I want the ED to survive.......

The Owners and many employee's at Coon Rapids are not only My Business partners I call them friends...

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
Just stand your ground....Even as adamant as I've been about the 3.0 short comings , I still Support FCA both in My Purchases and Investments, I want the ED to survive.......

The Owners and many employee's at Coon Rapids are not only My Business partners I call them friends...
Thanks. My dealership - Wayland Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram - is also run by friends. I've been buying vehicles there and having them serviced for myself, wife and two kids since 1982. They recently were bought out by a larger entity from Grand Rapids, MI (they're now known as K&M Wayland CDJR) and it seems many of the perks of the small-town atmosphere have been replaced by the big-city, impersonal approach. I've fired off a pointed email to the folks there and indicated I do expect FCA to cover this at some point. JMHO, YMMV. (Just My Humble Opinion, Your Mileage May Vary.)

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Good...Presidents pays off with FCA, Whatever you do no threats of any kind like I'm calling My lawyer or I'm not buying FCA again...granted your welcome to do so, but it damages cooperation needed to get it covered.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
Just some more information. I composed an email and sent it to my dealership - K&M Wayland (formerly Wayland Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram) in Wayland, Michigan, about 20 miles south of Grand Rapids. I sent it to my primary salesman (we'll call him 'Joe') and CC'd the Service Manager - whom I've been dealing with for 25+ years. I included pertinent sections copied and pasted from the official legal document (specifically page 207) and indicated while I might have to pay to get my truck back, I FULLY expect FCA to reimburse me for all costs associated with the EGR Cooler replacement.
'Joe' in turn forwarded my email along to a number of other people 'up the food chain' including contacts like the Regional FCA Manager. Joe called me on Wednesday afternoon of this past week and conveyed to me, "I told them 'Mark is GOING to get his truck back, and we'll figure out who's paying for what and when.'" He alluded to "...FCA is getting protocols in place for these scenarios, and it sounds like if you'd brought it in two weeks later, we'd just cover it with no questions." I received a follow-up call on Thursday from the General Manager (or someone higher up in the pecking order at K&M Wayland; not anyone I'd dealt with prior to his call) who admitted "You have more information on this topic than we've received..." But he also kind of walked back who'd initially be paying the $2900 when I pick up the truck. So I don't know at this time if I'm springing for the $2900 to get it back, or if I'm going to just keep driving the courtesy vehicle until they tell me to bring it back. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Don't tired out....stay in the pursue to cover all costs.