• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shady Dealership/DEF contaminated with water?

LinzD83

Jan 12, 2017
Truck Year
I dropped my 2014 Ecodiesel of at the dealer for codes P20EE (SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1), P2BA9 (NO Exceedance - Insufficient Reagent Quality) and dash message “Incorrect DEF detected See Dealer”. Since the codes are emission related, I expected it to be covered under the AEM extended warranty… Nope. Dealer said they found water in the DEF system and the whole system would have to be replaced for $3k…not covered by any warranty.

Isn’t DEF mostly water anyway? How could water even get in the system? I had recently added 2.5gal of Blue DEF (same as I always use), so the level was around ½ on the gauge. I did some research about the DEF system and read that it's common for the injector to get clogged, so I checked mine and sure enough it was pretty clogged with crystalized DEF- so I cleaned it before reinstalling. Isn’t that something the dealer should have checked??

Also, I asked them to check the A/C system since it recently stopped blowing cold- I know there’s a slow leak somewhere because it stopped blowing cold a few months ago but all was good for a while after I added refrigerant. I was expecting them to at least test the system and locate the leak. They came back with “no power getting to the fuse from the internal relay at the TIPM”, fix is to replace the whole TIPM, which has been discontinued so good luck finding one… Now, I’m no mechanic but I do know the A/C system has a low pressure switch that cuts power to the compressor when the refrigerant gets too low which would cause no power at the compressor fuse. I added the little bit of refrigerant I had left and everything is working fine again (for now). So the dealer obviously didn't bother to check the pressure or know about the low pressure switch.

This dealership clearly didn’t put any effort into diagnosing the issues and still charged me $375 for time and labor! I didn’t let them do anything else and just picked up my truck same as when I dropped it off… $375 for some BS diagnostics

I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach the dealer about this since they didn't put any effort into actually diagnosing the issues and the more I think about it, the more mad I get about paying $375 for nothing!

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions about what I should do?

2014 Ram EcoDiesel
~161k mi
AEM Completed
GDE tuned (reverted to stock for dealer visit)
Currently located in southern MS

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I dropped my 2014 Ecodiesel of at the dealer for codes P20EE (SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1), P2BA9 (NO Exceedance - Insufficient Reagent Quality) and dash message “Incorrect DEF detected See Dealer”. Since the codes are emission related, I expected it to be covered under the AEM extended warranty… Nope. Dealer said they found water in the DEF system and the whole system would have to be replaced for $3k…not covered by any warranty.

Isn’t DEF mostly water anyway? How could water even get in the system? I had recently added 2.5gal of Blue DEF (same as I always use), so the level was around ½ on the gauge. I did some research about the DEF system and read that it's common for the injector to get clogged, so I checked mine and sure enough it was pretty clogged with crystalized DEF- so I cleaned it before reinstalling. Isn’t that something the dealer should have checked??

Also, I asked them to check the A/C system since it recently stopped blowing cold- I know there’s a slow leak somewhere because it stopped blowing cold a few months ago but all was good for a while after I added refrigerant. I was expecting them to at least test the system and locate the leak. They came back with “no power getting to the fuse from the internal relay at the TIPM”, fix is to replace the whole TIPM, which has been discontinued so good luck finding one… Now, I’m no mechanic but I do know the A/C system has a low pressure switch that cuts power to the compressor when the refrigerant gets too low which would cause no power at the compressor fuse. I added the little bit of refrigerant I had left and everything is working fine again (for now). So the dealer obviously didn't bother to check the pressure or know about the low pressure switch.

This dealership clearly didn’t put any effort into diagnosing the issues and still charged me $375 for time and labor! I didn’t let them do anything else and just picked up my truck same as when I dropped it off… $375 for some BS diagnostics

I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach the dealer about this since they didn't put any effort into actually diagnosing the issues and the more I think about it, the more mad I get about paying $375 for nothing!

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions about what I should do?

2014 Ram EcoDiesel
~161k mi
AEM Completed
GDE tuned (reverted to stock for dealer visit)
Currently located in southern MS
The dealerships have given up on the eco diesel and they wish it would go away. You can do an EGR dryer for a lot less than the 4500, and be done with Derf and regen nonsense filters etc.. and pick up 40 horses and drop the engine temp 15 degrees. Never go to the steamer ship again. I don’t. ( mine is a 2016 Eco, deleted and tuned). Wish I had done it day 1.

DATA

Jul 8, 2021
Truck Year
The dealerships have given up on the eco diesel and they wish it would go away. You can do an EGR dryer for a lot less than the 4500, and be done with Derf and regen nonsense filters etc.. and pick up 40 horses and drop the engine temp 15 degrees. Never go to the steamer ship again. I don’t. ( mine is a 2016 Eco, deleted and tuned). Wish I had done it day 1.
What tune are you using?