• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

shutters & DIY winter front

kd1yt

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
I'm probably going to [or at least want to] improvise some homemade grille covers for this first winter with closed cell dense foam sheet, held into the grille mesh with zipties

Do I need to worry or take any kind of particular care in terms of clearances behind the factory grille mesh to the grille shutters?

I don't want to save $$ with some DIY grille covers but unintentionally cost myself $$$$ by ending up with jammed shutters, an actuator that overheats from being stuck only-partly-actuated, or some other Murphy's Law wallet-nuke

Thanks!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I'm pretty sure you can get the winter front for around $40 now. That's a pretty cheap price.

At any rate, you definitely want your foam on the front so there will be no clearance issues with the shutters. I would cut holes (3" square) in either side of the lower portions to keep enough airflow going in. That is how the Mopar cover is designed.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm pretty sure you can get the winter front for around $40 now. That's a pretty cheap price.

At any rate, you definitely want your foam on the front so there will be no clearance issues with the shutters. I would cut holes (3" square) in either side of the lower portions to keep enough airflow going in. That is how the Mopar cover is designed.
The holes are mandatory, as they are there for airflow over the intercooler. Your egts mad out even if the top two slots are completely open and the bottom two are completely closed. I know because I'm finding out the hard way with my own design. There must be a 4" hole in each section.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Or just let the shutters do their job; remove the grill and throw some cardboard in front of the lower portion of the radiator only directly below the shutters and directly up against the radiator. That shouldn't cause any issues with the intercooler as it's frontwards

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Winter blanket come free with each new truck. Dealer failed to provided it, but I got mine free and it always on when temperatures are 7c and colder. I use the Edge CS2 monitor and alarm set for 230F to warn me of high radiator temperature. I have yet to see it hit over 220 F.

It also decreases DEF consumption, warm up quicker and improves fuel/Def economy a little.

I have posted a letter from FCA in another thread, instructing dealer to provide one and to those who bought one, they will get a refund and still get a new one from FCA.

TheB2B

Aug 2, 2015
Truck Year
No the covers don't always come with the truck, mine didn't and I was told it doesn't qualify as it doesn't have a factory block heater. I stated yes it does all EcoDiesels come with a block heater and I have power cord installed to prove it. Basically told I was a lair. Don't bother trying to explain to the manufacture or their representatives that all Eco come with a block heater, they are morons. The longer I have this truck and the more I interact with FCA and the dealer the more I find out they don't know squat about this truck, kind of scary.

gobrowntruck21 where did you find a cover for $40 and does it have necessary cut outs for the intercooler?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
No the covers don't always come with the truck, mine didn't and I was told it doesn't qualify as it doesn't have a factory block heater. I stated yes it does all EcoDiesels come with a block heater and I have power cord installed to prove it. Basically told I was a lair. Don't bother trying to explain to the manufacture or their representatives that all Eco come with a block heater, they are morons. The longer I have this truck and the more I interact with FCA and the dealer the more I find out they don't know squat about this truck, kind of scary.

Most dealers/service writers are pretty blind to specifics around vehicles. At least in my experience over the years!

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I wrote to FCA and asked, did my truck come with winter covers. I got a reply, which I can submit to the dealer and they will provide you one without charge. If you had bought one on your own, submit the receipt to FCA and they will reimburse you.

My dealer tried to charge me for it, but I decided to wait, until I got a reply from FCA. In the end I got one free from the dealer. NW Calgary Dealers will take advantage of their customer if they can get an extra dollar and think they can get away with it..

I have the letter attached. I also received one with my Name and address, content is the same.

Attachments

• R51.pdf
    148.1 KB · Views: 36

TheB2B

Aug 2, 2015
Truck Year
I contacted FCA and was told my truck did not qualify as it DID NOT have a block heater. My response was it is sitting in my driveway plugged in so how is it possible I don't have a block heater but it is plugged in? Basically told I didn't know what I was talking about. I contacted my dealer and was told my truck was not included in the recall that would get me a winter cover. In the mean time there is a posting on this forum that a owner in Southern MO got a cover, really?!?!?!

Dewey Dodge, where I purchased the truck wants $184 for the cover, Stew Hansen Dodge across town wants $125 for the same cover, screw the dealer I purchased the truck from. In the future any pay work my truck needs will be going to Stew.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
As the letter shows, it subject to VIN number. How they determine VIN qualification, it doesn't say. I suspected, it was qualified according to area you live in, the mean temperature. I don't expect unit registered in Texas would qualify, but who knows. I was prepare to pay 200 for some sort of cover, but plain covers can be found under 100.00. I'am glad I didn't get the metal covers, as I don't think, it would have kept my radiator warm/heat up fast enough in the cold temperatures here. My concern got solved with the winter covers that FCA did provide for me.

Tubewall

Jan 13, 2016
Truck Year
I contacted FCA and was told my truck did not qualify as it DID NOT have a block heater. My response was it is sitting in my driveway plugged in so how is it possible I don't have a block heater but it is plugged in? Basically told I didn't know what I was talking about. I contacted my dealer and was told my truck was not included in the recall that would get me a winter cover. In the mean time there is a posting on this forum that a owner in Southern MO got a cover, really?!?!?!

Dewey Dodge, where I purchased the truck wants $184 for the cover, Stew Hansen Dodge across town wants $125 for the same cover, screw the dealer I purchased the truck from. In the future any pay work my truck needs will be going to Stew.

Dodge Ram 1500 Econo diesel defective. R 51 This is not s solution to the problem. Chrysler has no solution to the problem, instead they give you a tarp to put on the grill. Good luck trying to put that on in 30° weather. Do not accept the so-called solution to this problem. Contact a lemon law attorney they do these cases on a contingency basis. It shouldn't cost you anything to hire an attorney. I expect the class action suit against the Chrysler idiots.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Winter cover is when it get real cold. For me, I wanted to heat up the truck quicker and one benefit of that is less DEF is used. I haven't experience any problems, so nothing to complain. To put it on, is easy and quick. Never experience icing, the motive for winter covers was only to heat up the truck quicker. The coldest that I experience with this truck is -27 Celsius so far, but the chill factor made it colder.

All is well...

Here in Canada there is no lemon law, just some arbitrary board that may not be of help, as their decision are not binding.

Tubewall

Jan 13, 2016
Truck Year

gobrowntruck21 where did you find a cover for $40 and does it have necessary cut outs for the intercooler?

Tubewall

Jan 13, 2016
Truck Year
Dodge Ram 1500 Econo diesel defective. R 51 This is not s solution to the problem. Chrysler has no solution to the problem, instead they give you a tarp to put on the grill. Good luck trying to put that on in 30° weather. Do not accept the so-called solution to this problem. Contact a lemon law attorney they do these cases on a contingency basis. It shouldn't cost you anything to hire an attorney. I expect the class action suit against the Chrysler idiots.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
You've posted the same thing over and over again. We get your point. If you post again perhaps it would be good idea to have something meaningful to say and to help others.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The recall is based on the assumption that anyone in cold climate ordered their truck with a factory installed block heater cord. Not referencing that the engine has a heating element regardless. So it's completely dependant on the build sheet if it were to come with a factor installed block heater cord. And this applies in Texas and wherever else. Completely determining recall eligibility based on the build sheet because 2013,14,and 15 there was only a $95 option for a block heater cord. That has since changed with the very late 15 and 16 builds to no longer be a block heater cord but a cold weather package which includes the winter cover. The recall is only a correction of the unavailability of the "cold weather package" in prior years where only the block heater cord was allowed to be installed at the factory.

Is it right? No.
But is it the only documented way to insure drivers are able to get a no charge winter front without providing one to every single Ecodiesel on the road? Yes.

Chrysler identified an icing problem that can be corrected with a winter front. Just as drivers identify a warm up or temp problem as being corrected with a winter front.

Any other diesel on the market will never come with a free winter front.

You get a block heater.

If it's too cold and you want a winter front you suck it up and buy one. You don't cry to the manufacturer that they didn't give you one it doesn't Work like that.

Call it cost of ownership. And FCA jumped ahead of any other manufacturer and provided one free of charge to anyone they can identify as being in cold climate based solely on a build with a factory installed block heater cord.

This never came from anyone but FCA. So why can everyone be so upset that you don't qualify but cutting a few dollars off of your build to install your own $15 cord?

I didn't want a black bra on my grill; if FCA offered one I wouldn't use it. I got my stainless steel winter front because me as an owner acknowledged it as a requirement for my use and purchased not the cheapest available cover solely based on aesthetics. And personal preference. And I'm not crying to FCA that I'm not reimbursed because now they acknowledge me needing it.

Just as I'm not crying for not qualifying because though I'm basically in Canada which sure qualifies as climate I chose not to order with a factory installed block heater because I and only I made the decision to refrain from doing so in liu of installing my own and having a custom install and built in retractable cord.

If only everyone could acknowledge this it would simplify a lot of things.

And a class action suit over a f**ing $50 cover because you get cold in your truck is a joke. Move someplace warmer.

A diesel isn't known for being even remotely fast to reach temp or produce heat.

But hey! That's why we all bought diesels! Because guess what? The engine runs at a lower temp and lasts longer! As well as fuel holding lubricity values. Promoting cylinder life.

But are you going to cry to FCA and threaten a class action law suit because you can't run #2 diesel all winter long in cold climate? Is that inability of fuel capability FCA's fault?

Anything I forgot to mention here I'm sure should be pretty well obvious. But please feel free to point out anything I may have missed