• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Silverado & Sierra 1500 Diesel Delay

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
All GM light diesel orders cancelled, no 2019 light diesel truck. Should eventually show up as a 2020. I guess GM doesn't want to pay those eco diesel kind of fines.

from jalopnik:

General Motors has been forced to cancel orders and delay the new 3.0-liter Duramax diesel engine for its full-size Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks, which were originally scheduled to be available early this year, due to emissions testing for the engine taking longer than anticipated.

Automotive News reported that a memo sent out to GM dealers on Tuesday announced the delay, which was later confirmed to the publication by a company spokesperson. Here’s more from Automotive News:

The EPA’s emissions certification process for the engine is taking longer than anticipated, creating a “slight delay,” according to a memo GM sent to dealers Tuesday.
The full-size diesel pickups were expected to go on sale for the 2019 model year in early 2019, months after gasoline versions started arriving at dealerships last fall.
GM said 2020 diesel pickup production will begin “soon” but the delay means dealer orders for the models will be canceled and must be resubmitted.

Chevrolet spokesperson Monte Doran gave a little more context to Motor1about the cause of the delay:

“Yes, we are shifting the 3.0L Diesel from a late 2019MY to a 2020MY as emissions testing is taking longer than expected,” Chevrolet representative Monte Doran told Motor1.com.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its still worth waiting for, And Assemble in MI USA.

Ram still has the lid on the 2020 Diesel 1/2 Ton, even My sources are dark, We can ONLY hope its a New Fait Power plant, Its not safe even to speculate at this point.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Since the VW/FIAT cheating they are taking their time on certifications it seems.. I'm still waiting for one to hit the lot to see how it is. Likely my next truck.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I am really enjoying this 2019 Ram with the V-6 E-torque. Nice power, great ride. Its not a hemi but I don't need a hemi. I want another diesel but I am not riding the (b)leading edge again.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Heard the same. Glad is was not for repercussions dealing with testing and that aluminum block in the in-line 3.0L GM. Their history of success with aluminum blocks and diesel is quite negative. Hope this one works out. Just don't want to be the testing consumer like I was with the original, failed Duramax.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
original, failed Duramax.

Bad injectors after sometime = failed Duramax? I really don't recall a ton of issues on the early Duramax.. at least not loosing motors daily. I wouldn't call it failed.. In fact, that truck is more reliable than the EcoDiesel in my opinion. My 06 Duramax I ran for sure would be, but that's not fair to compare I guess.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Let's see - My '01 Duramax lost 10 injectors at different times all around the country. 10 in an 8 cylinder engine. Even drove one time to Michigan to find a special tech who was supposed to be the best at tearing them apart and fixing the issue. Major weeks of breakdowns and huge repairs. I paid over $15,000 out of my pocket for the repairs plus motels and lost time. Then that damnable Allison lost its' torque converter and shut me down for the "last straw".

Later on GM had some kind of suit on that issue and sent me a check for close to 3 grand after i had battled with them unsuccessfully because fo the flagrant defective parts.

WORST vehicle I ever owned. Will never deal with an 8 cylinder diesel again and not with GM since. It is no stretch to call my Duramax experience "Failed".

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
So Cap the LB7 was the First what! to hit American Soil? Yep the first HPCR, America's fuel manufactures were just Not up to speed to meet the spec. In addition LB7 early versions Injections had problems 2001-03 the LLY was improve, the LBZ improved again. The 3.0 is five years into the same problems 0 improvements, its so bad Ram dropped the 2019 and is Possibly developing another power plant or complete make over of the 3.0... Lets see the 2001 D-max 6.6 design with minor changes lasted 16 Years..

Anyone can have problems its un-avoidable, You just hope your NOT the unlucky one...

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Anyone can have problems its un-avoidable, You just hope your NOT the unlucky one...

That's true! They all have issues.. and sometimes you get a bad one.. By the way TC, 01-Early 04 is the LB7, 04.5 - 05 LLY. Early 06 was called the LLY but the same engine as the LBZ. Then 06-07 was the LBZ motor.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I had a 2004 LB7....the early LBZ was same Block LLY with LBZ electronics, GM had to reimburse Some early LBZ owners, they used up the LLY blocks.