• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Software update recall

Gunsmith02

Jun 27, 2019
Truck Year
Had my truck in ship last week for the software update. Now responsiveness in throttle is awful and the transmission is shifting way to often on the highway going up a incline. What should I do?

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
You must not have a 2017-18, my 17 runs just fine none of what your talking about, why can't the dealer just update to a 2017 level

John

Nov 13, 2015
You must not have a 2017-18, my 17 runs just fine none of what your talking about, why can't the dealer just update to a 2017 level
That's basically what the update is. Most 2014-2016 owners are fine with the update. Some are even reporting better performance with the transmission shifting points. There seems to be a small percentage of owners who aren't happy with it. I'm not sure what went wrong with their update.

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
Had my truck in ship last week for the software update. Now responsiveness in throttle is awful and the transmission is shifting way to often on the highway going up a incline. What should I do?

Many are having the same issues.... since I had the recall done on my truck, I have almost been involved in two accidents due to the truck literally stalling, rpms jump to 3500 and then it starts to move.

There are several different threads where folks are describing the symptoms as sluggish, dead spots, transmission slips, etc.

This is more than a performance issue, it is a safety issue.....you should file a complaint with the NHTSA at safercar.gov.

The more of us that push the issue rather than accepting it/ or spending more money to get the truck we paid for, the quicker someone will address it.

The EGR delete kits and GDE are great products, however will it VOID the extended warranty provided after the recall is completed?

John

Nov 13, 2015
since I had the recall done on my truck, I have almost been involved in two accidents due to the truck literally stalling, rpms jump to 3500 and then it starts to move.
that sounds more like an issue with the trans. flash that's part of the AEM. I wonder if something went wrong when applied.

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
that sounds more like an issue with the trans. flash that's part of the AEM. I wonder if something went wrong when applied.

Not a trans issue.... did not happen until recall done. There are many others that have had the same issue after the recall.

It only occurs when the truck has been sitting and from a dead stop. Does not occur after driving for a bit

John

Nov 13, 2015
Not a trans issue.... did not happen until recall done. There are many others that have had the same issue after the recall.

It only occurs when the truck has been sitting and from a dead stop. Does not occur after driving for a bit
The AEM update includes a TCM update as well. If RPM's hit 3500 before the truck moves, obviously an issue with the trans. How else can one explain 3500 RPM's and no vehicle movement.

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
The AEM update includes a TCM update as well. If RPM's hit 3500 before the truck moves, obviously an issue with the trans. How else can one explain 3500 RPM's and no vehicle movement.

Not sure John.... but whatever was done, totally changed the way my truck performs. Maybe you could call my local dealership and explain to them how to fix it. It is NorthPoint Chrysler Jeep.

vfr800rider1

Jun 16, 2019
Truck Year
So I never post on forms but I have to for this one. On 6-4 I had the AEM software update on my 2016 with 38k miles. I drove it home that day and really didn't notice a difference. The next morning when cold It ran like shit...No power, didn't shift properly..I actually used the thumb shifter to put it in 1st gear and floored it and that really seemed to help. The next 2 mornings were the exact same thing. I called Green diesel, ordered my ECU and installed it 2 days later. Not only is the problem solved but its better than new. Its everything everyone says and more. Waaaaay more power, no turbo lag, and better MPG. I paid an extra 500.00 dollars to keep my original ECU so anytime I need service work ill put it back in (took about 25 min) and take it to the dealership. They will never know because there wont be a "footprint" on that ECU. Its the best of all worlds with a 120k warranty. I absolutely love my truck again. I am not associated with GDE in any way other than a Happy customer btw. I hope this feedback helps someone.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Not sure John.... but whatever was done, totally changed the way my truck performs. Maybe you could call my local dealership and explain to them how to fix it. It is NorthPoint Chrysler Jeep.
Okay, what's their phone number? :)

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
336-306-8945. Thanks. I don’t know enough about the inter dynamics of the recall to counter when they say ,” This is strange and we can’t duplicate / find a problem”

John

Nov 13, 2015
336-306-8945. Thanks. I don’t know enough about the inter dynamics of the recall to counter when they say ,” This is strange and we can’t duplicate / find a problem”
Hey Wil, I thought you were joking with me and I was doing the same. Sorry about the confusion. The only advice I can offer is to consider a tune uless the dealer can make it right. My thoughts are that possibly something went wrong when the dealer flashed the TCM (transmission control module). You could mention this to your dealer and maybe they will look into it. Best of luck.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I just recently had the AEM and TCM update installed on my 2014 RAM, but before we left on vacation pulling our RV we had the wife's 2015 Jeep GC install. We both have noticed a marked turbo lag when engine is cold, on the range of close to deadly, improves as engine heats up, but still apparent. My wife hates it I just compensate. Transmission shifts more often on the Jeep, but my RAM shifts the same, but I had a flash update when the oil change came out which changed my shift points. My RAM has picked up about 2 mpg, but, and there is always a but, the wife's Jeep has lost 2 mpg on the highway, her average is about the same. Of course I ordered GDE tune this week, which should arrive early next week, for my RAM, will repay my savings account with the FCA settlement. Wife's tune will come in a few weeks. Now also looking into SFT tune as well as GDE for her eco Jeep.

george lambros

Sep 12, 2019
Truck Year
So I never post on forms but I have to for this one. On 6-4 I had the AEM software update on my 2016 with 38k miles. I drove it home that day and really didn't notice a difference. The next morning when cold It ran like shit...No power, didn't shift properly..I actually used the thumb shifter to put it in 1st gear and floored it and that really seemed to help. The next 2 mornings were the exact same thing. I called Green diesel, ordered my ECU and installed it 2 days later. Not only is the problem solved but its better than new. Its everything everyone says and more. Waaaaay more power, no turbo lag, and better MPG. I paid an extra 500.00 dollars to keep my original ECU so anytime I need service work ill put it back in (took about 25 min) and take it to the dealership. They will never know because there wont be a "footprint" on that ECU. Its the best of all worlds with a 120k warranty. I absolutely love my truck again. I am not associated with GDE in any way other than a Happy customer btw. I hope this feedback helps someone.
Thanks for the advice. I will call Green. My 2015 does the same thing after the fix.

Jimbopa

Sep 12, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for the advice. I will call Green. My 2015 does the same thing after the fix.
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have a 2015 with 45, 900 miles and about 800 miles since the AEM. On my first real use of the truck after the AEM I towed my Lance 1985 trailer on a 500 mile round trip. About 25 miles from home I got a check engine light and Electronic Throttle Service Required. Dealer found code P0299-00 Turbo Underboost and repaired split CAC outlet hose. The truck ran well but for only 79 miles when another check engine light came on.

This time the code PO26C Fuel Injection Quantity Lower than Expected. Dealer fixed DPF dirty/clogged with soot & leak at PVC. They cleaned NOX sensors and ran regen multiple times. Truck was returned and ran 18 miles when check engine lgt came back with same code. Dealer suggested changing fuel filter (17 k since change). Truck was returned and ran 8 miles when check engine lgt came back with same PO26C code.
Truck is currently at dealer and FCA case manager is involved. Hoping they will find problem and return a reliable vehicle. I have a question for George who posted about installing the Green diesel tune(?) and keeping the original ECU to reinstall when truck goes to dealer. Can you explain how that works. Any info appreciated.

thanks
Jim

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome to the group I installed gde on my 2018 hot off road when it was new I have had no problems I still have the orig ecu I installed exh fr to rearno Def it is great u pull the tuned ecu from under the hood and put the factory one back a total of ten minuts total and take it to the dealer

george lambros

Sep 12, 2019
Truck Year
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have a 2015 with 45, 900 miles and about 800 miles since the AEM. On my first real use of the truck after the AEM I towed my Lance 1985 trailer on a 500 mile round trip. About 25 miles from home I got a check engine light and Electronic Throttle Service Required. Dealer found code P0299-00 Turbo Underboost and repaired split CAC outlet hose. The truck ran well but for only 79 miles when another check engine light came on.

This time the code PO26C Fuel Injection Quantity Lower than Expected. Dealer fixed DPF dirty/clogged with soot & leak at PVC. They cleaned NOX sensors and ran regen multiple times. Truck was returned and ran 18 miles when check engine lgt came back with same code. Dealer suggested changing fuel filter (17 k since change). Truck was returned and ran 8 miles when check engine lgt came back with same PO26C code.
Truck is currently at dealer and FCA case manager is involved. Hoping they will find problem and return a reliable vehicle. I have a question for George who posted about installing the Green diesel tune(?) and keeping the original ECU to reinstall when truck goes to dealer. Can you explain how that works. Any info appreciated.

thanks
Jim
I don't know yet...waiting to talk to Green Diesel. This really sucks.
Do we enough to start a class action suit???