• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Spray on Bed Liner and cap questions

ZMan079

Aug 10, 2015
Truck Year
For those of you who have spray in bed liners how did the applicator (whether factory or aftermarket) deal with the black plastic piece in top of the bed rails, Did they remove and spray under, or did the spray up to and including the inside lip of bed, or did they just spray up to under the rails?

The reason I ask is that on my last truck I had them spray over the rails and down the outside of the bed about an inch or 2. I was wondering if this is possible and still be able to put the black plastic rails on if you ran the liner down that far?

If you have a cap did you leave those plastic rails on or did you remove them? My worry would be that water/salt/dirt/etc. would gather under black plastic rails and cause rust issues...

Sorry for the ramblings.....

ZMan079

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
You will never be able to put the plastic caps back on if they spray under them...the only way to do it is to spray up to them.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Personally I would just stick with spraying up under the inside lip and not over the rails. And reuse plastic caps. Reason I say this, is because should your bedside need repainted, you'll never get a good clean transition against the over the rails bedliner spray. Happened on my last truck and it bugged the crap out of me.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I agree. Live & learn.

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Spray in bed liner just to rails.
Also put in Ram bed rug .

ZMan079

Aug 10, 2015
Truck Year
My concern was the salt would gather/get trapped under the plastic rail cover and create a rust scenario..
ZMan079

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
My concern was the salt would gather/get trapped under the plastic rail cover and create a rust scenario..
ZMan079

You could always run a bead of good silicon caulk on top of the rails before you put the plastic caps back on. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it tho.

ZMan079

Aug 10, 2015
Truck Year
Silicone sealants on painted metal will lead to rust, so I'm told...

My concern is when I put a cap on....

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Silicone sealants on painted metal will lead to rust, so I'm told...

My concern is when I put a cap on....
Hmmm, I've never heard that. Don't the caps have a good gasket seal to the bed rails?

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
There is going to be no perfect answer...in the winter time just keep her clean make sure you rinse out the areas your concerned about...

ZMan079

Aug 10, 2015
Truck Year
They do but you'll be sealing against the black plastic rail cover and it seems there is a gap between it and the actual bed. Don't know if it will compress when cap goes on. Maybe someone that already has a cap can chime in...
ZMan079