• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stand still Ecodiesel Regen hack

CWilson81

Aug 2, 2019
Truck Year
Many of you have been put into retard mode due to the dumb 100% DPF due to long excessive idle times. Before I had my 2016 deleted which I highly recommend you do I had this issue before as well. Basically you have to idle the engine up with your foot to warm up the system. After about 5 minutes on high idle to get things hot simply shift it into N hold the break and hold your foot to the floor. This tricks the computer into thinking your driving so you don’t have to drive to regen. It does take a while for the first 10% to go down Im talking close to 10-15 minutes after that they do start to drop. Continue til regen is complete. Once this is complete at 0 you can run your OBD2 scanner and clear the code. Saves you money so ya theres my hack Ive done it and it works. I still highly recommend deleting it saves the engine life adds about 25-65hp depending on your ecm program you get as well as 30% better fuel mileage and about 50-60 more FPT to the rear end. Hope this helps

fxclm5

Mar 16, 2018
Truck Year
i think we can just use alfa obd and force the truck to go into regen now on next key cycle

John

Nov 13, 2015
Regen at idle will only work with the 80 or 90% warning. Once it reaches 100% the regen as noted above won't work. At 100% you will need the WiTech tool or aftermarket software such as the Alph OBD that fxlm5 mentioned.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome to the group I don't think flooring a eco is a good idea

John

Nov 13, 2015
It's actually okay to do this in neutral. The engine will be governed at 2500 RPM which is the same RPM as the WiTech will do when in stationary/desoot regen mode.

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Alrite everyone new to the eco diesel... how do I know my truck is in regen or is in need of doing a regen???

CWilson81

Aug 2, 2019
Truck Year
Alrite everyone new to the eco diesel... how do I know my truck is in regen or is in need of doing a regen???

it will tell you to drive at highways speeds once the DPF is at 80%. Also if they gave you a winter front cover which it should have make sure you put it on in -0 and lower and plug it in.Mines been recently deleted once warranties expired due to EGR valve failure. When it tells you to drive at highway speeds you can simply park and put in N and hold the brake and the throttle to the floor. Don’t worry it will not go over 3000 rpm but gets that filter hot enough to burn the soot accumulation out

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
it will tell you to drive at highways speeds once the DPF is at 80%. Also if they gave you a winter front cover which it should have make sure you put it on in -0 and lower and plug it in.Mines been recently deleted once warranties expired due to EGR valve failure. When it tells you to drive at highway speeds you can simply park and put in N and hold the brake and the throttle to the floor. Don’t worry it will not go over 3000 rpm but gets that filter hot enough to burn the soot accumulation out
Ok gotcha for the most part. But I bought the truck used, and I didn’t get a front cover that you are referring to. I’m in SC so it doesn’t get that cold here but nevertheless I don’t have it or really know what it is.

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Also what does it refer to as highway speeds? Above 55 mph?

CWilson81

Aug 2, 2019
Truck Year
Ok gotcha for the most part. But I bought the truck used, and I didn’t get a front cover that you are referring to. I’m in SC so it doesn’t get that cold here but nevertheless I don’t have it or really know what it is.

basically just a cover that fits around the front grill. That DEF starts to gel up after -11C and can cause you all kinds of grief. Mine has told me a couple times I had 250km before engine will not restart. Let it sit and idle and it goes away. Will also put it in retard mode occasionally. Also have an OBD2 reader on handy so you can bypass the codes

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Also what does it refer to as highway speeds? Above 55 mph?

I don't know the exact figure. But yes, anything around that number (or higher) for a good distance will allow it to regen and get the soot level back to an acceptable amount.

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
basically just a cover that fits around the front grill. That DEF starts to gel up after -11C and can cause you all kinds of grief. Mine has told me a couple times I had 250km before engine will not restart. Let it sit and idle and it goes away. Will also put it in retard mode occasionally. Also have an OBD2 reader on handy so you can bypass the codes
I don't know the exact figure. But yes, anything around that number (or higher) for a good distance will allow it to regen and get the soot level back to an acceptable amount.
Thanks for the help guys really appreciate the help and info. I’ll be deleting it here in the next couple of weeks to prevent the issues seems more beneficial to delete that to keep the little 24k mike warranty I got when I bought the truck.

SignGuy

Sep 26, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
... After about 5 minutes on high idle to get things hot simply shift it into N hold the break and hold your foot to the floor. This tricks the computer into thinking your driving so you don’t have to drive to regen. It does take a while for the first 10% to go down Im talking close to 10-15 minutes after that they do start to drop. Continue til regen is complete.

That's about 20 min of just sitting around in the driveway - I took mine down the road to the next town and back at 60 mph and it was cleared out before I hit 8 miles. I think that is probably better for the truck than just sitting with the engine screamin but if you can't get out to go then I suppose I'd do that as well.

Laidbackcat

Nov 13, 2016
Truck Year
You can also manually downshift to keep RPM up to 2500 and drive in town if you can’t get out to drive hwy speeds when the regen notification comes on. I’ve done this several times with mine

Superman1811

Aug 15, 2023
Truck Year
Know this is an old post, but my ecodiesel jeep just went full limp on me. Dealership got it running, but still pops up that "dpf nearly full, do a regen"... but it's still limping, can barely get to highway speeds. Would it be safe to put in N and floor it for 20 min? Wouldn't it get hot enough to burn soot off AND potentially mess up other components? I get an etc code once I try to drive it up in those highway speeds, hence why I couldn't do regen..