• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thinking about a new Ram Ecodiesel

EARL KITCHENS

Jul 3, 2015
Truck Year
I am thinking of buying a 2015 Ram Laramie Crewcab 4x4 Ecodiesel. Please Tell me why I should or should not buy this truck. It will be a daily driver plus I will tow my heavy Ranger boat weekly with it. My annual mileage driven will be around 40,000. Any thoughts on resale value at 100,000 miles? Thanks.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
How heavy is your boat Earl? When I think of Ranger I think of bass boat. That shouldn't be a problem if so.

Resale value is still up in the air, but diesels always bring more..that is one thing you can count on. They are great trucks, and get great fuel mileage for a full size.

Welcome to the forum!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Big fiberglass bass rig won't be a problem with this truck. Will get (guessing) 15+ mpg towing. Unloaded mpgs will be worlds better then the competition. Do it Earl!

EARL KITCHENS

Jul 3, 2015
Truck Year
I borrowed one of my friends 2015 Bighorn Crew 4X4 Ecodiesel with a 3.55 gear and pulled my boat about 120 miles. Some Interstate on cruise at 75 mph and on State Highways at 60 mph. Combined mileage was 17.5 MPG. I was really hoping for 20 MPG. His truck has 21,000 miles on it with no issues.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I borrowed one of my friends 2015 Bighorn Crew 4X4 Ecodiesel with a 3.55 gear and pulled my boat about 120 miles. Some Interstate on cruise at 75 mph and on State Highways at 60 mph. Combined mileage was 17.5 MPG. I was really hoping for 20 MPG. His truck has 21,000 miles on it with no issues.
Not sure there's a rig out there that could achieve 20mpgs doing 75 & 60mph pulling that weight. But I also could be wrong.

Overall did you like its performance? I have that same truck and I have nothing but praises about it so far. And I came from GMs so it has big shoes to fill, for what that's worth.

EARL KITCHENS

Jul 3, 2015
Truck Year
I would rate the overall performance around 8 out of 10. I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4 with a 6.6 Duramax LLM. It has a SuperChip programmer. My only complaint is the mileage when towing my boat is 13 MPG. I get 19 MPG on the road not towing. I believe if my Duramax had a 3;55 instead of a 3;73 I would be happier since I do not and do not plan to tow 10,000 or more pounds. I think my main issue is' Will I be pleased driving a RAM(DODGE)? LOL Old dogs are hard to train!!!!!!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Yea they are. I was dead set on cherry picking a low-mileage 05-07 Classic Dmax from the west. But after lots of thought, I didn't need a 3/4ton or its mileage. As hard as I try to drive a second vehicle to work and what not, I still end up driving my trucks. So I went with the Ram. As capable as any half ton, with the mileage of a lil DD.

And btw I still own a '90 chevy K1500 to keep me balanced ;)

Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Pulling big there will be no comparison to the Duramax, but smaller loads like bass boats will not be a problem. 17.5 MPG isn't really bad if you think about it. Hemi's get worse than that empty! :D

ecodiesel1

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
Lucky you.. I had to actually buy a ecodiesel to drive!! lol

I think you will like it, I love mine.

Bruce

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
I needed a commuter and to be able to pull a 6k lb travel trailer. 1/2 tons didn't seem commuter friendly to me (they're very ridged) and I don't need to pull that much weight. The gas 1/4 tons looked like a good option but as soon as I hook up the trailer the mpg's plummet from there already meager rating. My annual mileage isn't close to 40k but think I'll benefit from the 26 mpg rating for my 15-20k a year. Lastly, it should pull my travel trailer way better than my Grand Cherokee did.

One more thing, it's awesome and unique and works better for me than any other option!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I needed a commuter and to be able to pull a 6k lb travel trailer. 1/2 tons didn't seem commuter friendly to me (they're very ridged) and I don't need to pull that much weight. The gas 1/4 tons looked like a good option but as soon as I hook up the trailer the mpg's plummet from there already meager rating. My annual mileage isn't close to 40k but think I'll benefit from the 26 mpg rating for my 15-20k a year. Lastly, it should pull my travel trailer way better than my Grand Cherokee did.

One more thing, it's awesome and unique and works better for me than any other option!
Well said @Bruce