• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thinking About Buying....

Jc2094

Dec 28, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
In the market for a truck. Would like something efficient. Been looking at Ecodiesels. I found a 2018 with 42k on it. I read someplaces that the more common issues are resolved by 2018 and the slipping/grenade is "rare" other places it seems it is pretty common. Looking for opinions. What should I look for? Should I even look at ED?

Thanks All

JTCRacing

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I bought a brand new 2018 ED and so far very happy with it. No problems at all. It has 100k on it and just normal maintenance (oil change & filters), one set of tires and brakes all around once. I pull a toy haul trailer and a 6x12 enclosed trailer in summer time for motorcycle racing, other than that it's my daily transportation. Amazing fuel consumption for a full size pick up truck (obviously with the big trailer consumes more fuel).
I know that it is a lot of bad things about the ED's but from my experience, I think that the problem is that people do not know how to use a small diesel engine, it is not a V8 neither a big Cummins diesel. If you're gentle with it it will work without problems. Off course there is lemons and bad years in almost every model and brands but from my research when I was looking for an ED, 2018 is probably one of the best years for them.

Jc2094

Dec 28, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
I bought a brand new 2018 ED and so far very happy with it. No problems at all. It has 100k on it and just normal maintenance (oil change & filters), one set of tires and brakes all around once. I pull a toy haul trailer and a 6x12 enclosed trailer in summer time for motorcycle racing, other than that it's my daily transportation. Amazing fuel consumption for a full size pick up truck (obviously with the big trailer consumes more fuel).
I know that it is a lot of bad things about the ED's but from my experience, I think that the problem is that people do not know how to use a small diesel engine, it is not a V8 neither a big Cummins diesel. If you're gentle with it it will work without problems. Off course there is lemons and bad years in almost every model and brands but from my research when I was looking for an ED, 2018 is probably one of the best years for them.
What fuel mileage can be expected? Daily drives vs towing toy hauler? I have intentions of purchasing a small toy hauler to transport my hike a few times a year.

JTCRacing

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Daily drives City 21mpg Avrg Hwy 25mpg Avrg it could be more or less depending driving conditions, distance, etc. Towing my trailer it also has many variables but I'll say an Avrg of 17mpg, it could be less if a lot of mountain plays a role. My trailer is a 27ft most of the time full loaded so, for a small one with just one bike it should be way better.
I was looking for a 2500 Cummins because of my trailer but I realized that the ED is just perfect for my daily life and more than enough for the amount of times I tow the trailer.

Higgybob

Aug 28, 2021
Truck Year
I just bought a2018 ED Laramie 4x4 4 months ago with 23K. i can confirm the above mileage set. It has been running perfect for the last 6000miles. Extremely pleased.Great ride... almost as nice as the wife's 350 GLE Benz. Limo like back seat in the crew cab. Quieter than most larger diesel's . My only worry is the electronics because i can tell its very finely tuned with electrical sensors. definitely not simple like my old 1980's mercedes diesels.
Enjoy and make the leap!

Jc2094

Dec 28, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just bought a2018 ED Laramie 4x4 4 months ago with 23K. i can confirm the above mileage set. It has been running perfect for the last 6000miles. Extremely pleased.Great ride... almost as nice as the wife's 350 GLE Benz. Limo like back seat in the crew cab. Quieter than most larger diesel's . My only worry is the electronics because i can tell its very finely tuned with electrical sensors. definitely not simple like my old 1980's mercedes diesels.
Enjoy and make the leap!
I found an 18 with 42k. I'm going to test drive tomorrow and see.

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
I love my 2015 but realistically the best design is a 2020 or newer where I recently learned they changed the main bearing design to reduce the likelihood of the common engine failure in the older Gen EcoDiesel

DownSouth

Aug 8, 2021
Truck Year
I've owned both (2nd and 3rd Gen) and there is no comparison...the 3rd Gen would be the way to go if you can afford it.

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
2nd and third gen ecodiesels. Not to be confused with the fact that a 2018 is a 4th generation ram and 2020 (non classic model) is a 5th gen..

nmhulk

Sep 28, 2020
Truck Year
In the market for a truck. Would like something efficient. Been looking at Ecodiesels. I found a 2018 with 42k on it. I read someplaces that the more common issues are resolved by 2018 and the slipping/grenade is "rare" other places it seems it is pretty common. Looking for opinions. What should I look for? Should I even look at ED?

Thanks All
I have a 2018 laramie ecodiesel, I have done all the required maintenance recommendations and I have had zero mechanical issues with my truck. I have had all the recall stuff done, there were only a few. I get outstanding fuel mileage with my truck. I live in Texas but visit Albuquerque 660 miles away a few times a year and can make it there on one tank, I have a 27 gallon tank. Even in the city driving around the Dallas area it is still good. One thing in these are trucks made for efficiency, not heavy towing capacity, the towing capacity is actually less then the same truck with the Hemi engine. I have zero regrets buying my truck. I drive it sensibly and I hope it will last 10 years without becoming a money drain. I just passed 40k miles on my truck.

Kgmaine

Oct 11, 2021
Truck Year

Thanks All
I would pass on the ecodiesel. I have one. Just had to replace the entire fuel system...at a cost of $12k...for what the dealer says is because of bad fuel. My dealer says they do 12-15 of these every month.
Coincidentally, it is EXACTLY the same problem for which there is a recall on the heavy duty trucks with the cummins. That being a faulty fuel pump which blows apart inside the fuel tank sending pieces of metal throughout the system.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I would pass on the ecodiesel. I have one. Just had to replace the entire fuel system...at a cost of $12k...for what the dealer says is because of bad fuel. My dealer says they do 12-15 of these every month.
Coincidentally, it is EXACTLY the same problem for which there is a recall on the heavy duty trucks with the cummins. That being a faulty fuel pump which blows apart inside the fuel tank sending pieces of metal throughout the system.

This is clearly overstated........don't ever compared the VM3.0 problems to Cummins. Nothing blows apart in the fuel tank of either vehicle. I have CP4s with 500+K miles....Yes I don't care for the CP4, but I'm not going to apply C19 propaganda to CP4s problems.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Kgmaine, I do agree to pass on the VM3.0, the truck is fine its VM3.0 that crushes Rams DSL. With gas being $.0.30-0.40 less cost around here Thier's no saving in 1/2 DSL Ford has already dropped its 1/2 ton DSL, GM likely to change the Suspended 1/2 ton to stopped production. If you put 50K miles + per year and drive 95%+ HWY 1/2 DSL Ram may Break even at 250K miles and that May is a big +(&*&.

Kgmaine

Oct 11, 2021
Truck Year
This is clearly overstated........don't ever compared the VM3.0 problems to Cummins. Nothing blows apart in the fuel tank of either vehicle. I have CP4s with 500+K miles....Yes I don't care for the CP4, but I'm not going to apply C19 propaganda to CP4s problems.
I am not comparing the two at all, with exception of the fuel pump problems. There is an active recall on the one used in the heavy duty trucks. It is EXACTLY the same problem.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Kgmaine, Why the recall is happening on Cummins Ram 6.7 is not documented to know failures....It simply may be related to Cummins Spec's, unlike VM when over 1000+ engines were failing monthly in mid 2016. VM just kept production levels unchanged.

Kgmaine

Oct 11, 2021
Truck Year
Kgmaine, Why the recall is happening on Cummins Ram 6.7 is not documented to know failures....It simply may be related to Cummins Spec's, unlike VM when over 1000+ engines were failing monthly in mid 2016. VM just kept production levels unchanged.
Read the article which includes what happens to the truck during malfunction.