• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ticking sound under truck?

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
I just ran out to pick up some carry out. Was a short trip maybe 7 or 8 miles round trip. It included a short highway run as well.

When I pulled in the drive I did my normal 2 minute cool down ( excessive I know). Turned the ignition off got out and heard a fast ticking sound from under the truck.

I crawled under and it was coming from under the DEF tank. Lasted about 30 to 45 seconds then stopped. The ticking was pretty loud.

Anyone ever experience this? If so is this normal? This is the second time I've heard this noise.

Both times were under similar sercumstances.

Last edited:

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
I only have about 15K on mine, but no sounds that I've noticed. Does it sound metal on metal???

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
I only have about 15K on mine, but no sounds that I've noticed. Does it sound metal on metal???

Ok. I found it in the manual. It's the DEF pump clearing itself. The manual says a clicking noise from under the truck is normal and is audible from outside the truck. Whew. That one had me worried.

It doesn't sound like metal on metal. It sounds like one of those little hand held clicker noise makers for kids. It's hard to describe but it does sound like an intensional sound. Not like something is failing or being damaged if that makes any sense? But like I said. Mystery solved. It's the DEF pump.:cool:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Ok. I found it in the manual. It's the DEF pump clearing itself. The manual says a clicking noise from under the truck is normal and is audible from outside the truck. Whew. That one had me worried.

It doesn't sound like metal on metal. It sounds like one of those little hand held clicker noise makers for kids. It's hard to describe but it does sound like an intensional sound. Not like something is failing or being damaged if that makes any sense? But like I said. Mystery solved. It's the DEF pump.:cool:

I thought about the Def pump, but I'm to lazy to read the manual! Glad it's nothing major.

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
I thought about the Def pump, but I'm to lazy to read the manual! Glad it's nothing major.

Off topic. Did you change the font size of the home page or am I seeing things? Lol.

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
Ticking sounds coming from under the truck may also indicate a regen that did not complete. If the truck was i the middle of a regen the SCR and the trailing cat could be upwards of 900 plus degrees which may cause a ticking sound.

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
Ticking sounds coming from under the truck may also indicate a regen that did not complete. If the truck was i the middle of a regen the SCR and the trailing cat could be upwards of 900 plus degrees which may cause a ticking sound.

Thanks, that makes sense. But this ticking is different then metal cooling down. Hard to describe but it's very mechanical and intensional sound. It's done it many more times since.

I don't do very many short drives with it. Mostly highway and over 20 miles daily. I'm pretty sure it gets its regens done in that time. However after we move into our new house in three weeks my daily commute will go from 45 minutes to 10 minutes and no freeway. I have the option of bringing the company van to and from home to work. I may do that (even though I don't really like driving it) to save the truck from the wear and tear of short trips.

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
Interesting. I don't recall experiencing this with my truck yet. I do a lot of short trips with longer trIps thrown in. My truck regens quite often. Perhaps mine is cleaning itself out more often?