• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Time to convert?

spinyata

Sep 27, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have had plenty of new vehicles but I have never owned a Dodge/Chrysler product. I've always had Ford, Chevy or Toyota trucks but I really like the new Ram. Between the exterior styling and the interior comfort, it is tops on my list as I am about to purchase a new truck very soon. I am in no way a loyalist to either Ford or GM but that is what I've grown up with and I am familiar with. I am hoping that some of your real world experiences will help to ease my mind on a $50,000 truck. I am 44 years old and just saying $50k truck makes me cringe just a bit but, I guess that's where we are at. Anyhow, after have a 6.0L Ford that left me and my family stranded more than once, I thought I swore off the diesel for a personal vehicle. I then had a 2012 Chevy 2500 LTZ with a 6L gas engine. Nice truck, terrible mpg, mediocre ride and I felt that it was sluggish and seemed heavy and cumbersome.
I thought I was going to purchase a 2015 Chevy 1500 with the 5.3L but the dealer I went to also sells Rams so I took a look. Now, I'm on here trying to figure out what the heck I want. Like I said, I like the Ram the best and with the possibility of 20+ mpg, it sure sounds like a great idea. The idea of a Fiat/Motori engine makes me a little worried and I've read of some oil/coolant issues as well as some fit/finish issues. Honestly, the more I read/research, the more cloudy the water seems to get.
Thanks for any advice.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Do you tow on a daily basis, and is it heavy? Since you mentioned having a 6.0 Powerstroke, I wasn't sure if you need a 3/4 ton truck still.

The EcoDiesel is perfect for light towing (boats, campers, etc) and then giving you great fuel efficiency when you're out driving to work or a weekend getaway.

Personally, the issues you see are people talking about bad things. You're not going to have people get on forums telling us how great the truck is.. you do, just not as much as telling us about bad problems!

I suggest drive both, and see what you're more comfortable with.. because you'll be driving it daily and not us! :)

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Lots of folks absolutely love these trucks, myself included. I caught hell from many friends and family when they heard I was buying a $50,000 truck, but once they saw it and rode in it, they all get it. It smashes preconceived notions for what a truck should be like, and for every naysayer I think there are at least 50 buyers who think their truck is great but just don't go trumpeting it all over the internet. I am a VERY satisfied customer.

spinyata

Sep 27, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Do you tow on a daily basis, and is it heavy? Since you mentioned having a 6.0 Powerstroke, I wasn't sure if you need a 3/4 ton truck still.

The EcoDiesel is perfect for light towing (boats, campers, etc) and then giving you great fuel efficiency when you're out driving to work or a weekend getaway.

Personally, the issues you see are people talking about bad things. You're not going to have people get on forums telling us how great the truck is.. you do, just not as much as telling us about bad problems!

I suggest drive both, and see what you're more comfortable with.. because you'll be driving it daily and not us! :)

No, I will not be towing daily, 75% of the use will be for daily commute/work of approximately 40 miles/day. 15% would be long distance (600 miles+ one way) road trips and maybe 10% towing 5500lb TT. I'm most concerned about the reliability of the Motori with all the EPA cleaners on it.

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Ok here it is simplified ,if you read the forms on the new 2015 ford Ecoboost they have a lot of problems with truck and engin if you read the forms on the GM truck they have a lot of problems with the cyl that have the 4 6 8 technology burning oil 2-3 litters of oil per oil change and blown motors .
To rap this up they all have there troubles thousands and thousands of people buy these trucks Ram GM Ford and so on. There is a lot of people go on these forms simply to release there frustration out then never return so all you see is bad and ugly posts and it sticks in your head this form doesn't have very much of this going on here thank god it is a good place to share your info let guys know and learn things I have personally learned a lot you can read about a lot of people simply just love there truck and want to brag about it ,I have done it and so has a lot of people here so all I can really say go out try them out and see if you fall in love
For me my first test drive going down Hwy at 100 km looking at gage 5 liters /100 Km with the smoothest ride ever good by ford Hello Ram

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
As powerful and capable as any halfton pickup, with the fuel mileage of a sedan, and the creature comforts of a Cadillac. What else is there to think about?

spinyata

Sep 27, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
As powerful and capable as any halfton pickup, with the fuel mileage of a sedan, and the creature comforts of a Cadillac. What else is there to think about?
That about sums it up. It seems too good to be true. I'm pretty sure I will be posting about my Ram EcoDiesel before too long.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
That about sums it up. It seems too good to be true. I'm pretty sure I will be posting about my Ram EcoDiesel before too long.

Good luck with your purchase should you decide to pull the trigger.

dakarm34

Aug 28, 2015
Truck Year
This is my 44th vehicle and first Ram. I'm two weeks into owning it and just under 600 miles and so far so good. It's a great diving truck, has more features than many cars and has great fuel economy. You'll enjoy it if you do end up getting one.

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
I have had plenty of new vehicles but I have never owned a Dodge/Chrysler product. I've always had Ford, Chevy or Toyota trucks but I really like the new Ram. Between the exterior styling and the interior comfort, it is tops on my list as I am about to purchase a new truck very soon. I am in no way a loyalist to either Ford or GM but that is what I've grown up with and I am familiar with. I am hoping that some of your real world experiences will help to ease my mind on a $50,000 truck. I am 44 years old and just saying $50k truck makes me cringe just a bit but, I guess that's where we are at. Anyhow, after have a 6.0L Ford that left me and my family stranded more than once, I thought I swore off the diesel for a personal vehicle. I then had a 2012 Chevy 2500 LTZ with a 6L gas engine. Nice truck, terrible mpg, mediocre ride and I felt that it was sluggish and seemed heavy and cumbersome.
I thought I was going to purchase a 2015 Chevy 1500 with the 5.3L but the dealer I went to also sells Rams so I took a look. Now, I'm on here trying to figure out what the heck I want. Like I said, I like the Ram the best and with the possibility of 20+ mpg, it sure sounds like a great idea. The idea of a Fiat/Motori engine makes me a little worried and I've read of some oil/coolant issues as well as some fit/finish issues. Honestly, the more I read/research, the more cloudy the water seems to get.
Thanks for any advice.
You will like this truck.. I was a Ford girl all my life and I switched.. I also took in account the price tag and this is one reason I choose the RAM ECO d... I wanted a diesel engine.. I research.. and Ram has come up the charts every year .. putting out great truck... as far as the worry about the engine.. every truck brand you buy can have an issue.. Motori is new to our ears.. but has been around for along time making engines that are fianlly showing up in the US. I have had all the American brands of truck.. I still have my first 1991 Ford dually that I bought new for business.. and the rest of them I ran until they ran no more.. I love the way this truck drives .. I don't feel like I am in a truck.. when I have a trailer behind me I don't feel it.. I have Ram 2500 v10..2003.. and it is tough..but a bouncy ride but these new Rams drive so well.. the suspension is wonderfull.. I test drove the 250 and 150 new fords.. and the ride is not the same... the best part of this truck is the engine and MPG.. oh and the vented seats that blow cool or hot air on your back side.. LOL.. I love this truck.. it was was worth the price tag.. and the knowledge that as soon as I took of the lot it lost value.. but all new vehicles do that.. it takes about 18 months for your values to level out.. I feel like a queen in the truck .. making me one happy woman on the face of this earth.. and you know making a woman happy is hard thing to do!!!! RAM Eco diesel did it.

spinyata

Sep 27, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
You will like this truck.. I was a Ford girl all my life and I switched.. I also took in account the price tag and this is one reason I choose the RAM ECO d... I wanted a diesel engine.. I research.. and Ram has come up the charts every year .. putting out great truck... as far as the worry about the engine.. every truck brand you buy can have an issue.. Motori is new to our ears.. but has been around for along time making engines that are fianlly showing up in the US. I have had all the American brands of truck.. I still have my first 1991 Ford dually that I bought new for business.. and the rest of them I ran until they ran no more.. I love the way this truck drives .. I don't feel like I am in a truck.. when I have a trailer behind me I don't feel it.. I have Ram 2500 v10..2003.. and it is tough..but a bouncy ride but these new Rams drive so well.. the suspension is wonderfull.. I test drove the 250 and 150 new fords.. and the ride is not the same... the best part of this truck is the engine and MPG.. oh and the vented seats that blow cool or hot air on your back side.. LOL.. I love this truck.. it was was worth the price tag.. and the knowledge that as soon as I took of the lot it lost value.. but all new vehicles do that.. it takes about 18 months for your values to level out.. I feel like a queen in the truck .. making me one happy woman on the face of this earth.. and you know making a woman happy is hard thing to do!!!! RAM Eco diesel did it.
Thank you for your response. How long have you had yours?

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Hopefully you join our ranks soon. The real question is.....what color will you get? Allow me to advocate for Granite Crystal Metallic. It's one classy color and doesn't show dirt badly at all!

spinyata

Sep 27, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hopefully you join our ranks soon. The real question is.....what color will you get? Allow me to advocate for Granite Crystal Metallic. It's one classy color and doesn't show dirt badly at all!
My F350 was just about that color. I'm really liking the white.

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
Spinyata, you are at the right dealership. As you mentioned the styling, ride, comfort, etc., I too think the Rams are on top right now. So, how can you go wrong if you know you want a 1500? You could choose from either the 6 cylinder Pentastar gasser, or the EcoDiesel. I love my EcoDiesel, but if you have concerns about it, go with the Pentastar. As for the VM Motori diesel engine, it's a proven engine and has been out for several years. There was a batch of 2014's that had some bottom end issues with bearings, but outside of that it's great. You mentioned the oil/cooling issue, which some have had trouble with, but that wouldn't be a VM Motori issue, that's more of how FCA incorporates the motor to be adapted to meet US EPA standards. At least were not like VW that tries to cheat the system! Lol. All kidding aside, as time goes on, I see less & less issues with the 3D set up. All manufacturers have issues of some kind, but I'm sticking with my 3D!

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year

Great minds think alike! I too chose the granite crystal metallic for this reason, and I'm happy I did.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
I absolutely love my truck it has been through hell and back already in its 6k and 6 months of life since I ordered it...I have the granite crystal but am on dirt roads etc a lot...it shows dirt pretty bad...kind of wish I had gone for the silver or the prarie pearl....and a new addition the ram boxes will take a shot from a .300 Weatherby like a champ...and no it wasn't me that shot it.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
^^^ whaaaaaat? How in the world did that happen?