• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trailer braking question

Jerry Hefley

Feb 7, 2016
Truck Year
Can someone tell me the difference in the Trailer Braking modes. Specifically the difference between Light and Heavy? Is the a lbs break point or what? I have a 6000 lbs travel trailer with electric and a 8000 lbs boat with electric over hydraulic brakes. The information is supposed to be on the CD but I have never gotten my copy to work.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Did not know there was such a thing. My brake controller does not have anything like that. Factory controller also. Set it the way each individual trailer brakes each time you hook up. Pull slowly and apply brake controller only, no truck brakes. Get a feel of how well it works, drags or locks the trailer brakes or doesn't do enough.

Then adjust the setting until it slows things the way you want.

Michel

Dec 11, 2015
Truck Year
Information is in the User's Guide and not on the CD. Light Electric for loads under 10,000 lbs and Heavy Electric for loads over 10,000 lbs.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Since when is the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel rated to even tow ABOVE 10,000 lbs?

Makes no sense to me as most of the quad and crew cab models have tow ratings below 8,000 lbs.

Michel

Dec 11, 2015
Truck Year

Makes no sense to me as most of the quad and crew cab models have tow ratings below 8,000 lbs.

Michel

Dec 11, 2015
Truck Year
I know. It's a kind of non-sense. But I just wanted to let Jerry know the difference he was looking for.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
CaptiMal the options are in your screen. Your truck has the capability to remember up to four different trailers and four different brake types light/ heavy electric and light/ heavy electric over hydraulic. I usually use the light electric setting with my gain around 8%