• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission Fluid and filter change

Sailorjoe

Feb 23, 2019
Truck Year
I have just fitted a PPE transmission pan and replaceable filter to my Ecodiesel with 57K miles on it. I had noticed the transmission was a bit sluggish changing when cold and then read some forum threads and watched some YouTube videos on the state of the fluid on other Ecodiesels.
I have used the truck to haul a 4000lb sailboat, but there is no transmission service requirement in Chrysler's maintenance guide.
So I decided to do the pan, filter and expensive F8 fluid change following the ZF instructions. ( ZF is the transmission manufacturer and recommend fluid and filter change at 75K km.
I am very glad that I decided to do this. The old fluid was black and I considered it well past due to be changed. Filling the transmission was doable but quite a process with getting the transmission to temperature and feeding in the fluid from underneath the vehicle. I made a pressure pump from a 1 gallon garden sprayer which made the job a lot easier.
Transmission now changes nicely when cold and hot, back to like new.
Very worth while doing this maintenance. I will be planning to do it again in 50K miles.

Shame on FCA for not calling for routine maintenance on the transmission fluid, especially when the transmission manufacturer calls for it. Is this intended fraud or just incompetence?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Did you follow this article or something different?

The article is attached in that post.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Sailorjoe, the fluid as you describe is laden with clutch dust/fur and has lost its friction additives...Drop the fluid ASAP continue to drive XXXX miles and continue fluid change outs until it pretty color. Use Valvoline MAX life fluid. 50K may be to late

Image result for valvoline maxlife full synthetic

Sailorjoe

Feb 23, 2019
Truck Year
BoostN. Yes those are the instructions I followed.

TC Diesel. Thank you for your comments on the fluid. I am unsure on what you are recommending. I did drop the pan, new filter and refilled with 6.5 liters of ZF8 fluid, (with the deeper PPE pan). So that is clean, but I am assuming you mean the fluid that remained in the transmission and cooling system is contaminating the new fluid?
If that is what you mean, what mileage do you suggest before the next transmission fluid change?
Is there a way to get all the fluid out when doing a fluid change?
Is max life recognized by FCA for warranty cover?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yes the remaining Fluid must go, If it was as bad as you described, MAXLife is cert for the 8HP70.
Just do early drops until the fluid looks good, If you drop it today (Drain Only) it will look dirty. just some 3-5K drains 2 or 3 times will clear it up. Just measure how much you drain and replace.