• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Travel Trailer Towing

Braumeister

Apr 2, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
I frequently tow a 25' travel trailer (2013 Nash 23 D) Tongue wt approx 530# Gross Wt Approx 6500#. Anyone have experience pulling a trailer akin to this one? I currently have an '08 Tundra 5.7 Double Cab w/hiboy truck cap. Am experiencing range from mid 7's to 10mpg. No problem pulling trailer but it hasn't met a gas station it doesn't like. Definitely looking for improvement. I'd appreciate your input.

Braumeister

Apr 2, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks for response. Anyone else with detailed experience towing travel trailers?

Michel

Dec 11, 2015
Truck Year
2 trips from Canada to Florida and SC made in 2014 (4,700 miles) and 2015 (3,000 miles). Average of 9.8 mpg with a RAM 1500 HEMI (5.7L), gross weight about, 5,500. A 4,300 mile trip to Newfoundland in 2016 with the same trailer but a 2015 Ecodiesel Ram: 16.8 mpg.

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
I have towed a 6400 lb travel trailer about 5200 miles according to the "trailer connected" screen on the screen between the Speedo and tack.
I have expressed satisfactory performance and competent towing mostly!
I have also expressed concern with totally inadequate engine oil cooling!
Being retired I now plan grade climbing for early mornings. I am seeing the mid-250 to low 260's when climbing in the mornings when outside temperatures are in the 30/40's. When I had to work I saw 274 degrees on the summit of the pass between Oregon and Caliifornia on I-5.
There are fixes out there, but I have seen nothing that FCA has done within warranty limits to address the temperature issue
Speak up guys if Fiat Chrysler has a fix.

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
I frequently tow a 25' travel trailer (2013 Nash 23 D) Tongue wt approx 530# Gross Wt Approx 6500#. Anyone have experience pulling a trailer akin to this one? I currently have an '08 Tundra 5.7 Double Cab w/hiboy truck cap. Am experiencing range from mid 7's to 10mpg. No problem pulling trailer but it hasn't met a gas station it doesn't like. Definitely looking for improvement. I'd appreciate your input.

The key is your speed.
I hauled a similar load for 900 hilly miles (From SC to central PA) and I averaged 19MPG but I kept my speed at 55 miles/hour

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
The towing at the Ashland summit is only 4400' , I have always observed the 50 mph speed limit both up and down that grade. It is steep and winding with numerous 45 mph corners, 274 degrees happened with a stiff tail wind and a 90 degree afternoon outside temperature north bound going up.
Like I said, I had to work. I live in north west of Washington. I still had three hundred miles to travel. I learned on that trip that using the cruise control on the down hill provides some speed control via the down shift features and some back pressure by the turbo. Brakes still get some use but the back pressure from the turbo tends to keep overall speed to liveable levels.
It still needs a factory fix!

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Benito is right. I tow a trailer similar to yours, about the same weight. I was seeing 9-11 mpg until I slowed down from 65-70 to 55-60. Now I see closer to 14-15. Takes a little longer to get there, so bring a little extra music.

Braumeister

Apr 2, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Any issues with temps? We're in the mountains of western Montana. Most jaunts we take are over mountains. Kinda hard not to go over them to get anywhere.

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
That is exactly my point. Absent an outside engine oil cooler. This is the first diesel that has not handed mountain climbs as well as it handles 9/10this of the issues.
The transmission keeps the engine in its sweet spot. The engine oil cooler/warmer, plus the turbo lubrication in my history has supplied way more heat than I have ever seen in engine oil temperatures.
This is my third diesel truck.
This is also my first "Chrysler" vehicle that has even remotely shown an excessive heating tendency in over 52 years of ownership of their products. I challenge FCA, where is a factory fix..?
You built it, fix it within the warranty.
I do get an average 13+ mpg when towing. I'm concerned because I'm not big on being stranded.
I have family in Virginia, southern California, Iowa and New Mexico. There are mountains in every direction I choose to go!

Last edited:

John Abbott

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 in the 3.0 Ecodiesel. I have had the same experience as Retired Bones. Going up the Twain Harte grade out of Sonora, CA, which is steep but relatively short, the oil temp climbed steadily to about 3/4 over. I do not know when or whether it would have stopped climbing--the grade ended. We are planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer, and I would consider installing an after-market oil cooler if such could be had. Does anyone know whether such a creature exists?

Retired Bones

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
To maintain the warranty on the engine, No.
There is a company in Indiana (D&G Diesel) that sells a conversion of the oil/warmer to a traditional fan powered cooler/radiator for the engine oil at $995.00.
I have not gone that route with my truck because of FCA and our warranty.
Anyone at Fiat Chrysler have an engine Oil "Cooler" when the motor oil heats up?

Last edited:

Tow Happy

May 14, 2016
Truck Year
I tow a 25 foot Surveyor, about 6500lbs. Averaged 14.7 mpg on last trip to Kern River. Oil temp got up to 253 on the grapevine, once I hit the summit, down 35 degrees. I have never had an issue on any grade yet, But I don't push it hard either. I'm retired, no hurry to get anywhere.

Tc_027

Jul 21, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm unfortunately in the group of people who are still waiting for the EPA to give FCA the go ahead to start selling the ED's again...
For now I'm using a 2011 Ecoboost (please don't hate me...) to tow my 26' Tavel trailer (7000lbs) and I'm getting between 7-9 mpg travelling mainly flat areas. I tow at between 50-65 mph depending on speed zones and trafic. 55 seems to be my usual speed.
When I read about people getting 15-19 mpg I become even more anxious to get one...
Lol

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm unfortunately in the group of people who are still waiting for the EPA to give FCA the go ahead to start selling the ED's again...
For now I'm using a 2011 Ecoboost (please don't hate me...) to tow my 26' Tavel trailer (7000lbs) and I'm getting between 7-9 mpg travelling mainly flat areas. I tow at between 50-65 mph depending on speed zones and trafic. 55 seems to be my usual speed.
When I read about people getting 15-19 mpg I become even more anxious to get one...
Lol

Welcome to the forum!

Randy Hammond

Nov 3, 2015
Truck Year
I have a 2014 eco and have towed a 23', 6K lb trailer and routinely average 15 mpg. I now tow a 25' 6.5K lb trailer and avg 14.5 mpg. I see pretty high oil (250 deg) and coolant (230 deg) temps when towing up hills, but usually comes right down when the hill is done. I'm told this is normal.

Mic Tod

Jun 6, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 in the 3.0 Ecodiesel. I have had the same experience as Retired Bones. Going up the Twain Harte grade out of Sonora, CA, which is steep but relatively short, the oil temp climbed steadily to about 3/4 over. I do not know when or whether it would have stopped climbing--the grade ended. We are planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer, and I would consider installing an after-market oil cooler if such could be had. Does anyone know whether such a creature exists?
If it does, you will likely find it on YouTube, along with a video on how to install it. I plan to use the instructions I found on there to install a Cold Air Intake (S&B) on my eco diesel. Friends are saying they saw a 3-4 mpg increase after the install. We'll see ~

Davie 1

Jan 21, 2017
Truck Year
I tow a Cougar X Lite 26rl fifth wheel and I tow fine with my 2016 1500 Eco Diesel. Approx. 16+ MPG average. I use an Anderson hitch and towing is a breeze. No bucking or chucking, turning is easy. Normal around town mileage is combo 19 to 24 w/o trailer

Mic Tod

Jun 6, 2017
Truck Year
That's what I'm hoping for with my tow. And my trailer is lighter, around 4000# loaded (18' Retro). If I can get 16-18 I'll be delighted.