• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck Stop DEF

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Just had myself a bad experience putting the DEF in at the truck stop; it was -30F and I figured I'd throw in $10 as I was around 1/4; had just gotten my truck back from the deer and the pump at flying j decided to try super speed and blew DEF back out of the nozzle and all down the truck which immediately froze and crystallized before it could even run off the truck; followed by 1¢/second pumping for the remaining prepaid $7 it had to go for I shit you not over 10 minutes to put in less than 4 gallons of DEF, and I'm out there freezing my ass off with no lock on the pump lever and no gloves on lol in the middle of the truck lanes.

Anyways the truck drivers may be a hell of a lot bigger than you but they're there doing the same thing and understand what you need for your truck so just pull up and take care of your business.

As Shawn said all the nozzles fit our trucks too though admittedly it's a little tight for the diesel and pumps faster than the neck and choke it down but other than slow going it handles it just fine.

Trust me the truck drivers experience much worse than being stuck behind a pickup putting in 4 gallons of DEF and 20 gallons of fuel. Look at semi capacities when you figure they're waiting in line and how long it takes for that rig in front of them to fuel up and document

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
And back to the beginning, @BoostN. I don't know how you're doing it; maybe you're over tightening the pour spout? But after learning to pinch open the breather before putting it on (learned from the idiots trying to fill the DEF at delivery how not to do it) I get absolutely no spillage or any issues from filling with peak adBlue. It just burps and gurgles and shotguns the 2.5 gallons down in less than a minute

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Never thought about filling up DEF when its -30 degrees. I make sure, to wait when it mild before filling up with DEF at the truck stop. Nice reminder. Might be a good idea to fill up just before the cold winter arrives each year and avoid that experience.

I notice when it is around -30, that the DEF gauge indicator drops down, but goes back up when it warm up.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah I had thought about the pre winter top off but didn't get around to it. As previously stated I'm 2 hours from a truck stop with DEF on tap. Well I happened to be there. so I gave it a shot.

With the current temps being as low as they are and not having a heated garage I wanted to add to the tank. Because though a 1/4 tank if frozen would take less time to thaw; it also takes less exposure to freeze. I keep my truck plugged in 24/7 if possible so my coolant temp is always above freezing even in the coldest temps which is what I an relying on (the coolant line/heater in the DEF tank) in order to keep the DEF thawed. So actually with the cold in mind; not so much for need to add DEF that minute as it could've waited a couple months, I raised the level of the tank.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Same here, no garage, live in Calgary NW, Canada. Park on the street in front of the house. I do have a factory installed block heater, but I haven't used it at all. Even around -27 Celsius, took only seconds for the truck to start, using the remote. I don't idle too long, ten minutes or so. Before I get ready to go out, I start the Truck via my remote from the patio door. Hear it beep the horn, light flash twice, a few seconds, truck starts and being dark, the parking lights go on.

What has been a great help, is the FCA provided free winter covers, fully closed. I notice, the temperature of the engine is warmer, then the actual outside temperature. The covers seem to keep out the wind chill factor to the engine compartment. If I leave after sunrise (Calgary is sunny, clear blue skies a lot here), the sun shines on the truck and it warm up the engine compartment even more so.

I was expecting to have issue during cold weather, but so far, doesn't seem to bother it at all. No cold starting complaints at all. You do notice the diesel noise more, when cold and a bit more sluggish.

I'm starting to see many, many more benefits of having the winter covers on the truck fully closed all the time. Also having the Edge CS2 monitor, I can watch all the important temperatures and functions, telling me all is well.

So far, all is great....

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah I haven't had any issues yet either but I do have the concern of the DEF being froze solid and commuting to work which is just short in town drives and heavy idling for infants who need a warm vehicle, and not having enough run time to thaw that tank enough to not raise computer errors.

I have a detached garage I can burn wood and heat if absolutely necessary but I'm moving next week and the long side of the garage is only 21' long from door to Service door and I have a standard bed crew cab that measures 236"

So I virtually lose any garage possiblity there was

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
20160116_201029-1.jpg Compliments of @BoostN

Thanks again!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Pretty sure that referring to owners as infants because they prefer getting into a warm vehicle when the OAT is below freezing, is a little - um - strong. If someone thinks they are less infantile because they can get in and drive an ice cold truck, well, more power to 'em. As for me, I prefer using included features in my expensive truck to enhance my comfort. I paid for it, I am damn well going to use it.

Sorry stan you took that completely out of context. I was referring to my 6 month old infant son. My child. And #2 that is due later this year.

Can't really throw them in a car that's still -10F and expect all to be okay.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Sorry stan you took that completely out of context. I was referring to my 6 month old infant son. My child. And #2 that is due later this year.

Can't really throw them in a car that's still -10F and expect all to be okay.

My bad! LOL - makes much more sense!!!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Maybe this is stupid to ask; but does anyone in cold climate or Canada in particular just wish that there was some indicator light or some simple straight forward way of telling a person if the DEF tank is frozen. Couple hours of driving in severe cold; coolant lines thaw it out no problem indicator light turns off. Or bring the truck in the garage and thaw it out. Just some way to know that the DEF tank is frozen and the truck is running without it so you can correct it without adverse effects?

Kind of seems simple enough in concept anyways

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
No issue freezing yet, we did hit -27 Celsius weather, parked on the street. The only indication, that I can see, if it cold, the DEF gauge is bit lower than when it warm. Once I see the DEF gauge back to normal, that would tell me, DEF not frozen or that cold.

tcharger67

Jun 11, 2016
Truck Year
hey guys I know this is an old thread, but im wondering how everyone is managing the def tank on their ecodiesel?

I had major problems on my 2011 Silverado, the tank was constantly frozen in the am before I went to work. GM recalled it with basically what the ecodiesel batter blanket looks like, and a plastic liner.... well that made the truck stay out of limp mode until -29*c

I ask, because I am looking at mine, and contemplating it becoming a problem as well.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
My plan is to get a low temp silicone heating pad to slap on the Def tank by this winter. I had no problems last year but it was very mild

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
Since I just got my ED on 7-22, I had no idea of how fast the fluid was used, or how long my remaining 1/4 tank would last. I decided at 8300 miles to stop in at a Love's truck stop and fill the DEF tank with the pump. Mine was almost in the red and I had just filled with fuel a few miles back, so i wanted them both full, Love's was charging $2.75 a gallon and I put in 5.7 gallons. If it had only been filled at delivery, the tank should last the projected 10,000 miles to the oil change. I pulled up to the last pump island on the truck side and waited for the truck ahead of me to finish. When I got to the pump, it wouldn't accept any of my debit or credit cards. There was a grumpy trucker who pulled up behind me and got a bit rude, but I continued on and picked up the phone for help. I learned that you have to pre-pay at the counter inside and they will authorize a dollar amount. If you don't use all of it, a credit will be put back on your card within 2 hours. Once I got this done, the fill up was quick and easy. My def gauge went instantly to full and there were no issues. This was the quick and easy way to fill the DEF tank. I am not excited about using the hose from a box and spilling it all over everything. I did get a dribble from the nozzle and noticed that it had turned white and chalky by the time i got home, but it wiped off easily with some windex..

So - if you're going to do the truck stop DEF pump at Love's, just realize that you'll have to park at the pump so they'll know which one to authorize, then go inside and pay before you can pump. Yes, someone may pull up behind you and wonder what the hell a 4 wheeler is doing sitting empty at the pump, but they'll survive the inconvenience.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah it's something new. Both Def and diesel to fill up there but you always have to prepay. Except there's one very small truck stop in erskine Mn (middle of nowhere) that has Def on tap that you can just pump away then go in and pay.

Czarjoez

Aug 16, 2016
Truck Year
New here and will post in the intro thread when I'm not on mobile, but in the meantime:

Anyone run into the magnetic DEF pumps? I stopped at a speedway and could only get a slight trickle to avoid the pump cutting off. Took about 10min to get 2.5g. Was wondering if it's worth it to get a magnetic collar? This is all new to me, so I'm not sure if the magnetic pumps are common or not.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
New here and will post in the intro thread when I'm not on mobile, but in the meantime:

Anyone run into the magnetic DEF pumps? I stopped at a speedway and could only get a slight trickle to avoid the pump cutting off. Took about 10min to get 2.5g. Was wondering if it's worth it to get a magnetic collar? This is all new to me, so I'm not sure if the magnetic pumps are common or not.

I've not run into this?

I don't use truck stops though. Maybe that's why...

Czarjoez

Aug 16, 2016
Truck Year
I've not run into this?

I don't use truck stops though. Maybe that's why...

Yeah, from what I've read it's not every pump either. I ended up buying a cheap collar based on reviews from other diesel forums. $14.50 for a "magnevator II" instead of $30+ for most other products. $2.69/gal seems better than $7-8/gal from typical stores.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yeah, from what I've read it's not every pump either. I ended up buying a cheap collar based on reviews from other diesel forums. $14.50 for a "magnevator II" instead of $30+ for most other products. $2.69/gal seems better than $7-8/gal from typical stores.

Usually the DEF is cheaper their, plus it's convenient. I'm always extra careful with the jug and wipe up the excess if I spill any as it turns into a solid white mess if you don't.