• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tuning Options?

Best Tuning Option?

• Total voters

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You should Be.
John could you hold off on that New Cummins until late this year or early next , You won't be disappointed, the New Engine will be NONE external EGR. GTG.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Wow! I sure can. Where can I find more info about what you are saying?
PM me If you don't want to put out on the open site.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I've seen these On engines (Similar) in the TQ Lab W/O External EGR, I have never seen engines get that far without making it to Production, by the time they get to the TQ Lab $Millions$ in R/D spent.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Here is a question for tuners.. if were to buy an SKT engine tune installable with their touch screen flash tool could It be used to take out, store, and reinstall the GDE tune from the GDE replacement ECM?

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
Here is a question for tuners.. if were to buy an SKT engine tune installable with their touch screen flash tool could It be used to take out, store, and reinstall the GDE tune from the GDE replacement ECM?
No Sir. GDE doesn't use a stock file and this is why it's not compatible with the SFT Touchscreen Tuner. SFT uses only factory files, then modifies them.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Jimmy,
I didn't know you have a Cummins tune. Need more info as the truck is now being made, soon to be delivered.

TC,
I went ahead and ordered the 2020. At 85 years I no longer wait for things to happen - I don't buy green bananas. :ROFLMAO: I just have fun thinking I'm still 21.

EcoGC

Mar 23, 2020
Truck Year
No mention of MRTuning here? I have the MRTuning 20/40 hp tune. Iv'e been completely happy with it and have had no issues so far. They also use the Powergate +3 hand held device

LimitingFactor

Aug 29, 2018
Truck Year
I was in the same boat as many. I had my eye on the GDE tune since day one. After the AEM flash, I decided to get it but they had just stopped sales in the US. HD Diesel Supply in Canada seemed to be the closest to the GDE with a reputation to back it. Waiting a few more weeks paid off this time since HD came out with a hand held tuner which is what I wanted to mitigate any potential dealer issues in the future. Of course the day after I installed it I started working remote, so I barely have had a chance to drive it!

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
I've been reading so much on here that my head is splitting... So, if I were to just do a Tune (HD likely), will this stop the EGR from putting so much coal down into my intake? Will I be able to quit worrying about a fire? What about the exhaust system? I've read so much bad regarding the regen and cat plugging "unless you drive like a wildman part of the time"... I don't need super performance. I just need to safely tow my 19' Jet boat around from state to state without breaking down, or going broke due to 10 mpg as was the case with my '06 Titan 2WD and $4/gal gas at the time...

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I've been reading so much on here that my head is splitting... So, if I were to just do a Tune (HD likely), will this stop the EGR from putting so much coal down into my intake? Yes, make sure it is a tune that turns the EGR off Will I be able to quit worrying about a fire? Yes, it might be nice to clean (or have the intake manifold cleaned) but since the EGR is turned off the common cause of the engine fire is eliminated. What about the exhaust system?there is no change required to the exhaust system. Many owners choose to fully delete the EGR system and physically remove it. There is no need to do this if you have it turned off that I know of, it is personal preference. I've read so much bad regarding the regen and cat plugging "unless you drive like a wildman part of the time"... I don't need super performance.Many tunes alert you when a regens is in progress usually with the HD(GDE tune) this is usually somewhere between 350 to 500 miles. Just drive at freeway speeds or hold the RPM's up around 2000 and you will see the region progress on the dash and it will tell you when it is complete. If you buy certain aftermarket gauges like the EDGE insight 2 you can manually regain at your convenience. I just need to safely tow my 19' Jet boat around from state to state without breaking down, or going broke due to 10 mpg as was the case with my '06 Titan 2WD and $4/gal gas at the time...

Your next question may regard warranty. Yes, a tune will absolutely render your warrant null and void. That is why it is absolutely essential to have an tune that you are comfortable removing and reinstalling periodically and the basic mechanical knowledge to do it if you are planning use a dealer for service.

I am not a seasoned diesel mechanic but I am very comfortable working on my own vehicles when armed with good instructions. The answers I have given to your questions above are the conclusions I have drawn from my research here and elsewhere. If someone with more knowledge can clear up or "fix anything" I have written I will defer.