• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Want to be new owner of ecodiesel

hinoonaz

Aug 7, 2020
Truck Year
Seriously want a 1500 eco. Is it as good as it seems. Will be pulling 4,000 poiunds on cross country trips

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
NO.....In long term ownership its risky. That being said they do well in HWY use.

Its not the engine I recommended to be your 1st DSL, its made overseas and its likely to be out of production soon.

Need more details on its use City/HWY. Has the truck been upgraded to less parts ?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
YES. Long-term ownership of any vehicle is risky, but cheaper than buying new every 5 years. Fully expect 200k+ miles from mine.

Cross country trips pulling only 4000 lbs sounds like the ideal scenario for the EcoDiesel to be honest. If you said a box camper weighing 7-8k lbs I'd lean to a 3/4 ton. I bought mine way back in 2015 with the idea of pulling a heavy bass boat to tournaments around the country. But the bass did not cooperate so I gave up on that dream. 5 years and 100k miles later it now is a daily driver, 40 miles round trip and running like a top. BUT I have also modified the ECM and exhaust/emission components. In my opinion that is a necessary step with these trucks.

These forums are full of horror stories. Truth is, they have a higher than average failure rate, but nowhere near the problems as represented online.

Good luck!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Online not even close to the problems related to the quagmire the 3.0 has created.... Now Brady I agree it needs missing parts, and a big part missing is its illegal.

If you consider $4 Billion plus in loses on only 110K vehicles means your blind. Lets see Ford retooled and upgraded its entire
Dagenham EUR Plant at $1.5 Billion that makes the lion 3.0 DSL.

IMO ,Fiat would have bought them all back if they could found another country with blinders equal to Americans to dump the Truck.

Wishing someone luck is diffident sign of lacking confidence.

Brady them Bass are darn fussy, one day jump in the boat the next were did they go.....Maybe you'll try again someday and the bass will cooperate.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Eh, I'm over the tourney fishing. It was fun for awhile but took me away from home too many hours. Now I just like wading the creeks with my kids and chasing Smallmouth and crawdads when we can.

I’m sure FCA has lost money on this truck considering the heavy EPA fines. But they’re not all junk, simple as that. Vast majority are fine. And if you can lighten it up then it’s even better.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Naa Brady, I don't know of any 3.0 OEM 2014-16 OEM that's been trouble free, I do believe their out there, but its not the Norm, its the exception.

I will ligthen up when Fiat puts and Honorable DSL power plant in the 1500.

Yep don't sacrifice your Family for profession... I did and I'm om 3rd Wife, for last 20 years and I paid dearly for the First 2 Marriages.

Roland

Mar 29, 2016
Truck Year
Hey TC what's your story?. It seems you got burnt on your Eco.and now you have condemed FCA for even making a Ecodiesel. You seem to have a pillar of information about how bad these trucks are, believe it or not they are some happy owners owning a Ecodiesel, i for one is happy owning one. For the last four years. I am glad they are owners posting problems, fixes, recommendations and application uses for this truck, yes the emissions that are attached to this motor is not good but some owners have gotten a lot of trouble free miles out of them.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Roland I agree their out there, but the OP is thinking of buying used, Do you not agree its best to buy the Eco 3.0 with the worst case scenario in mind? So You have the Cash to repair if needed, the seller just going to tell the buyer back clouds never happen. This is the same statement I tell every used buyer, Your probably buying someone else's problems so buy accordingly, the 3.0 is a double down on that one....Its weekly postings of new buyers with problems.

I have lost count on How Many New owners have call Me buying parts or advice on how to Fix the truck after just weeks of ownership that the dealer wants $5,000.00+ plus to fix. or the tone ring failed and 1200 miles from Home with Camper and No one wants to touch it and the local Dealer says 3 weeks out plus the ride. I work with Many Makers Most Cummins , Duramax so 1 million plus vehicles, most of the calls I get from these owners are past 100K Miles.

The 3.0 By far the worst power plant I have ever owned, even My 3.0 was EGR/Plenum done at 44K miles.I now have learned it has been back at the dealership 8 times for other problems, 3-way Valve, Turbo, and coolant problems, Even My wife stated She has NEVER seen me baby sit a truck More, and when she seen all the fires online demanded I leave it outside at Home at the end of the driveway.

Roland I hope/want your 3.0 to be problem free, but if its not I hope your Bank account can support the happy Withdraw.

C'mon even VM has stop its ad campaign for the 3.0, and History has proven that's the first step before production ends, if that Happens it will be devastating to current owners.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My sources at Fiat Chrysler America are no supporters of the VM 3.0, it was Fiat that demanded they capitulate, I have 1200 pages of inter communications to prove that.

Roland why is Fiat infatuated with the 3.0, Heck they have at their disposal power plants that are robust and worthy at FPT, and it looks like FPT is taking control of VM YEY Finally......

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
So, I should run as fast as possible from the new 3.0?

If the price is right and your willing and capable of taking on the risk that you will inherit with the 3.0 No, otherwise run with dust behind.

hinoonaz

Aug 7, 2020
Truck Year
OK, so does ford or Gm have a better diesel for the lightweight 3.0- arena
? Been thru buy back with a ford compact. Do not want to get stuck on the road for a month.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Both are new You will likely get better info at GM/Ford sites.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its to early to know, Theirs one member here that has reported on the same Failure (Puking) as previous years. Do a search on 2020.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Here’s the way I see it, she’s either gonna go or blow haha looking back I wish I would have done my research before I purchased mine. I was looking at 2500 gas rams and found mine and bought same day. Found this forum when I was having a glow plug issue and ended up deciding to tune and I’ll never look back. If I would have taken an hour to research it I would have probably walked right away from it. Some of these have been great for their owners and some have been hand grenades. But it’s a lot like underwear, just because your last set lasted you many years with no troubles doesn’t mean a new set will. It’s all luck of the draw.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Naa Brady, I don't know of any 3.0 OEM 2014-16 OEM that's been trouble free, I do believe their out there, but its not the Norm, its the exception.

I will ligthen up when Fiat puts and Honorable DSL power plant in the 1500.

Yep don't sacrifice your Family for profession... I did and I'm om 3rd Wife, for last 20 years and I paid dearly for the First 2 Marriages.

Hopefully the 3rd one is the charm! I was meaning if you can lighten up the truck I believe they are trustworthy.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Brady, I would like to have the same faith, But I make decisions base on My experience and sources.....

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Can't argue that, we just agree to disagree TC.