• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Warm ups and Cool Downs

ZMan079

Aug 10, 2015
Truck Year
Cool Downs:
I noticed that in the Diesel Supplement that they have a table for Cool Downs that show if your under heavy load and Turbo is warm/hot that idling 2.5 minutes should be enough to remove heat from Turbo. Otherwise 30 sec to 1 minute will do the trick. Seems pretty clear with table provided. I typically let mine idle for 1 min when I get to work as it is mostly uphill and it is only about a 5 mile/10 minute trip, and about 30 sec, on way home since it is mostly downhill.

If I'm pinched for time, a little trick I've been doing from the old school days whenever a car would be running to hot, is put the heater and crank it high. When I do this I pretty much immediately start to see the temps for coolant and oil start to back down (occasionally it will go up a degree first). I wondering if I'm getting a false positive, or It's actually dropping and I'm pulling heat away from Turbo making this a useful technique???

What is everyone else doing???

Warm-Ups:

I think it the paragraph that follows it warns you about idling too long.....
It also states that with warm-ups you should operate engine at moderate speeds until warmed-up.
What is warmed up??? Would be nice to see a table of how long to warm up, or what is a good oil/coolant temps to commence normal operation.

What I've been doing is start it about 3- 5 minutes before I take off for work. Is this enough??
I notice that on many days oil temp is still below 122 degrees, and coolant is about 90 or less

Thanks,
ZMan079

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
It's the turbo the manual is helping you with. You won't know how well your doing unless you have a scanguage or edge to show you your turbo temp. Your turbo takes a certain amount of time to cool down to a safe range based on the outside temperature, your load, and underhood Temps. Basically if it's hotter than 80f outside it takes about 3 minutes to cool down to a safe range. Over 95 takes 5 minutes. Under 60f takes about 1 min.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Remember also that any slow speed driving such as in a neighborhood, down a driveway, or parking lot, is cooling down from coming off the highway or high speed roads.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Remember also that any slow speed driving such as in a neighborhood, down a driveway, or parking lot, is cooling down from coming off the highway or high speed roads.
Kind of, my turbo wil hit ful road Temps just backing into my driveway, and when pulling down my alley way into my dock my turbo temp increases 400f higher than idle temp. My sort facility is right behind the ups sort facility in slc.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Kind of, my turbo wil hit ful road Temps just backing into my driveway, and when pulling down my alley way into my dock my turbo temp increases 400f higher than idle temp. My sort facility is right behind the ups sort facility in slc.
Wow. I did not know that. I've always thought it'd cool as driving goes easier. So it only cools @ idle?

How many trucks in your facility? The UPS facility? To give you an idea, we run about 30-32 routes during the summer. We cover the biggest area in Ohio. From Washington Court House to the WV border @ Gallipolis and South Bloomfield to Piketon. All on a map if you're bored haha. Now 60 miles north in the big city of Columbus, they run hundreds of routes out of several buildings. But actual area covered is minimal.

/thread

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yeah once you get a Guage your thinking will completely change. We have about 200 drivers in our multistate fleet. We operate like FedEx ground. Slc is our Sort facility. We overnight everything and have everything delivered before 8:00 am. But there are 8 of us line haul guys who leave the terminal at night, then it gets distributed to other drivers and routes. But there are day route drivers too in Utah and colorado

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Any in Ohio?? [emoji41] Not sure I can do another 20 years @ brown.

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
Cool Downs:
I noticed that in the Diesel Supplement that they have a table for Cool Downs that show if your under heavy load and Turbo is warm/hot that idling 2.5 minutes should be enough to remove heat from Turbo. Otherwise 30 sec to 1 minute will do the trick. Seems pretty clear with table provided. I typically let mine idle for 1 min when I get to work as it is mostly uphill and it is only about a 5 mile/10 minute trip, and about 30 sec, on way home since it is mostly downhill.

If I'm pinched for time, a little trick I've been doing from the old school days whenever a car would be running to hot, is put the heater and crank it high. When I do this I pretty much immediately start to see the temps for coolant and oil start to back down (occasionally it will go up a degree first). I wondering if I'm getting a false positive, or It's actually dropping and I'm pulling heat away from Turbo making this a useful technique???

Warm-Ups:

I think it the paragraph that follows it warns you about idling too long.....
It also states that with warm-ups you should operate engine at moderate speeds until warmed-up.
What is warmed up??? Would be nice to see a table of how long to warm up, or what is a good oil/coolant temps to commence normal operation.

What I've been doing is start it about 3- 5 minutes before I take off for work. Is this enough??
I notice that on many days oil temp is still below 122 degrees, and coolant is about 90 or less

Thanks,
ZMan079

Something in memory keeps telling me that the heater core is actually on it's own independent circuit separate from the turbo. I just don't remember where I saw or heard about this. Can anyone speak to this? In other words, turning on the heater full blast with the temp all the way up would have a slower indirect affect on the cooling of the turbo. Or another way of looking at it, is by shortening the turbo loop circuit, the engine will also heat up quicker for less emissions. As for cool down, I typically check my emails and texts (rediculous huh?!) before I get out of the truck, because once I step into the house, it's Daddy, Daddy Daddy! (Good problem to have :)

MRNY

Jul 7, 2015
Truck Year
Hey guys I've been trying to find a cool down timer that runs off the temp of the turbo. I check here and ram1500diesel, and one member on ram1500diesel is running one screen name (LCR) if anyone knows him he has the answer to the cool down I messaged him but no reply yet. then there's no more waiting it will do it for you. But for now I wait till it drops to 360 deg fyi I find if your turn climate control off it cools faster good luck

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
I turn the heat on when truck has been pulling hard and yes that helps.It cools the engine thus cools the turbo.This
engine design includes a water jacket to help draw away heat as does the oil.Turbos can turn in the excess of 100,000
rpm so as well cooling the extra few minutes slows down the turbo.