• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

what is safe to use on leather,dash, door panals ect...

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
i won't use amoral i used a product years ago from p&h products that was really good, what about dealer ship products anybody had experience with them, i would ask the dealership but i already know what they would say. can't find p&h anywhere...

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
I have used Saddle Soap on the leather seats in my cars for years. Cleans, conditions and softens the leather better than anything I have ever used. Never used it in my Eco, have cloth seats in it.

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
maybe not
Products
Do-it-yourself
Services
Consumer Info
Company Info
advbanner4a.jpg

back to archive | previous post | next post

• Posted by: Kevin Gillan
  • Post subject: Using saddle soap on upholstery leather
“How should I clean my leather furniture?” It’s a common question from our clients.

Often, we hear that they have been using saddle soap. After all, it seems like the right thing to use, as certainly saddles are made from leather.

Despite what it seems like, it’s a mistake! You see, leather intended for saddles and leather intended for furniture are processed very differently.

Saddles are made from heavy-duty belt leather which is vegetable tanned to withstand the harsh environment of the out doors. It’s tough, highly durable leather and can stand up to the use of chemically harsh leather cleaners, like saddle soap.

Upholstery leather is processed differently. Using chromium tanning chemistry, the end result is soft, supple leather that is much more sensitive to harsh cleaners like saddle soap.

Think about your own skin. Would you wash your face with a strong household cleaner like 409? Certainly it would clean your face, however the drying and chaffing effect it would have on your skin is not desirable, particularly with repeated use. The same is true for upholstery leather.

The fact is that upholstery leather is acidic. It has a pH of 4.5 – 5. Harsh cleaners are highly alkaline. Consequently a chemical reaction occurs in the leather that breaks down its fibrous structure and stiffens the leather. Therefore it’s important to use leather cleaners that are chemically engineered (pH balanced) specifically for upholstery leather. If you would like more information about appropriate upholstery leather cleaners and conditioners, visit our leathercare page.

Just remember, saddle soap may or may not remove manure, clumps of dirt, and the grime from a saddle after a week out on the trail, while sitting on the back of a horse, but hopefully, your furniture is not subjected to the same environment. To prolong the life of your leather furniture, our advice is to use the correct (pH balanced) leather care products, like our product found on our consumer products page.

top of page

back to archive | previous post | next post

© 2000-2010 Advanced Leather Solutions, Inc.

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
This has not been my experience. Saddle Soap had always left my seats soft and has not caused them premature wear. As I said I have done it for years. I have tried products intended for automotive interiors and found them to leave the seats hard and plastic feeling. Fixed them with saddle soap. Just my experience. I have also diluted the saddle soap with water for general cleaning.

Richard

Nov 8, 2015
This has not been my experience. Saddle Soap had always left my seats soft and has not caused them premature wear. As I said I have done it for years. I have tried products intended for automotive interiors and found them to leave the seats hard and plastic feeling. Fixed them with saddle soap. Just my experience. I have also diluted the saddle soap with water for general cleaning.

I've had good success with 303.