• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best Engine Tune

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Great thanks. Finally a clear answer.
Stage 1 will shut off the EGR and you can leave it on the engine OR remove it. GDE tunes are EPA COMPLIANT, so all emissions equipment is intact and operable.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Great thanks. Finally a clear answer.
@Mesatoneman>From everything I can figure out, yes, but it also seems to depend on the model year, but I'm not completely sure. According to some, there may not be a sensor on 14-16 models, 17 on do, supposedly. My factory manual shows a sensor on all of them, so it's confusing. I'm running a mixture of water and DEF. Either there's no sensor or it's a weak sensor that only detects "something" is present or it's a sensor that has had the parameters changed, IDK.

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
I gotcha. Yah I’m running diluted also. Like 1gal def to 2gal h2o. I just didn’t know if running 100% h2o would throw a code on my 2016? What year is your eco JJ?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I'm running 100% distilled on my 2016, no codes, no problem. Will go back to a gal per 2 1/2 g of def just in case I need to go to dealer in future.

Dennett

May 18, 2020
Truck Year
I'm running 100% distilled on my 2016, no codes, no problem. Will go back to a gal per 2 1/2 g of def just in case I need to go to dealer in future.
What are the advantages of diluting the DEF with distilled water? It can’t be just to save money... up here in Canada the cost saving of running 100% distilled water vs pure DEF is only about US$1.50 per 1000 miles.

Dennett

May 18, 2020
Truck Year
Google def injector gone bad
Thanks for the suggestion... the search results were interesting. Now I too will give DEF dilution some thought, especially if the DEF system in my 2014 Grand Cherokee starts to act up. So far, so good...

roylerumble

Jan 9, 2020
Truck Year
following. I've used the Alientech Powergate 3 to install a tune on my truck, had initial issues with my truck seeing it, but was able to get it working. Having some issues with my tune at them moment, and kind of scratching my head, because it worked great for the summer, now my truck is throwing error messages calling for DEF, and using it. Not getting very far with the company that I paid good money to get the handheld and unit. Will out them soon on here if I don't hear from them....

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
John, just curious if you've noticed what your exhaust smells like. Mine with the current mixture I'm running(about 60/40water/DEF) I detect a chlorine bleach mixture kind of odor.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
John, just curious if you've noticed what your exhaust smells like. Mine with the current mixture I'm running(about 60/40water/DEF) I detect a chlorine bleach mixture kind of odor.
I've never noticed any change but I don't normally smell my exhaust.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I smell it when I park in the enclosed(3 sides) carport.
My parking is on an open driveway. Probably why I never smell exhaust

Dennett

May 18, 2020
Truck Year
My parking is on an open driveway. Probably why I never smell exhaust
Does the engine burn a trickle of DEF all the time, or just when the engine exhaust temperature is particularly high, e.g. when under load from acceleration, high speed or headwinds, towing or climbing hills?

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Does the engine burn a trickle of DEF all the time, or just when the engine exhaust temperature is particularly high, e.g. when under load from acceleration, high speed or headwinds, towing or climbing hills?
It should burn a little all the time, If you're tuned you can used distilled water, straight , or mixed with DEF.

James Hoffman

Aug 23, 2015
Truck Year
Went today to look at a new Ford today, cause my 3.0 ECO just isn't what I want anymore. (AKA since the de-tune update) Bad thing is, I have a Ford F 250 Farm truck and the interior on the new ones hasn't changed much since 2000. So now I'm thinking maybe I should use the rebate money for a tune. Can I get some feed back from y'all on which tuner to use? I don't want to race it, just pull my travel trailer about 7000lb and or have the ability, to drive safely in heavy traffic (throttle response) . I heard one of the companies gets rid of or deactivates the EGR valve. I like that since I had to pay over $250.00 when the truck only had 50K on it to have it replaced. Let me know thanks
i had GDE tune but was notified by GDE that i had to have it removed. i live in california. is there a new upgrade that is legal in california. jkh

Irwin

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
HD diesel tune kit out of winnipeg manitoba . Has a great tune kit for eco diesel.
I have a 2014 Eco Diesel with HD Diesel Kit C/W Aluminum Banks intake manifold. The Kit was installed in 2016 & no problems.