• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best Engine Tune

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
So you had the GDE tune active during the test? I'd love to get the GDE but they are under the microscope with CARB and ask for a VIN # now which shows it's a CA vehicle. So you can't even get it delivered to an out of state address.
I have heard the same about the Sofa King tune (which you can still get in CA) that it does not show up on the smog test.
Everything I'm seeing about the Sofa King engine/trans tune seems positive.
I have tried to contact Banks RE: if there unit eliminates the soot in the EGR and have had no response. I'm looking more at eliminating all the issues with soot entering the engine and destroying things than getting more power. Added fuel mileage and no turbo lag would be a plus.
CA and EPA are SofaKing stupid!
I have the SofaKing engine and trans tune stage #1, it works as advertised, the truck runs smother, no lag, less noise, a little cooler, shifts better, MPG gain I haven't checked but looks like a small improvement, no long trips yet I wish I had installed it sooner I really like it

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
I am comparing them aganist PPEI and that is what I have, which is good, but PPEI is hard to get to the bottom of what you are getting after you have bought the tune, I have never been able to find out if they tuned out the limp mode limits, such as EGT limits , high turbo pressures, water temps etc. and other things of which i am unaware of, which should put your engine into limp mode if there is a problem in, they don't know or won't tell. I live by my edge monitor and I have never cross the line to find out. To me, 1 out of the 3 tech people I talked to, knew what he was talking about, the other two did not know what or how the tune worked and were order takers and reading answers off a prepared text, if the latter 2 didn't know the ansewers they said they would get back to you and didn't, their return emails would take as long as 4 days to a week to respond. You could never get to Korey the owner, who I think probably is good at what he dose, but good luck. GDE people you can talk to and they will go thru the limits they leave on the engine, and what dose and dosen't work etc., And they will give you experienced suggestions so you can make an informed decision. They are big on keeping your engine intact with their tune, PPEI not so much. To me, PPEI is to big to care. I have a 08 Jeep GC WK with the 3.0 MB engine, will probably do a tune delete, I called GDE to ask about the tune because PPEI dosen't do them anymore, then the conversation drifted to the Ram, after that visit, When I do another one, as of today I would go GDE. Its more about service I guess. I have learned a lot about tunes since then and am better educated now.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I am comparing them aganist PPEI and that is what I have, which is good, but PPEI is hard to get to the bottom of what you are getting after you have bought the tune, I have never been able to find out if they tuned out the limp mode limits, such as EGT limits , high turbo pressures, water temps etc. and other things of which i am unaware of, which should put your engine into limp mode if there is a problem in, they don't know or won't tell. I live by my edge monitor and I have never cross the line to find out. To me, 1 out of the 3 tech people I talked to, knew what he was talking about, the other two did not know what or how the tune worked and were order takers and reading answers off a prepared text, if the latter 2 didn't know the ansewers they said they would get back to you and didn't, their return emails would take as long as 4 days to a week to respond. You could never get to Korey the owner, who I think probably is good at what he dose, but good luck. GDE people you can talk to and they will go thru the limits they leave on the engine, and what dose and dosen't work etc., And they will give you experienced suggestions so you can make an informed decision. They are big on keeping your engine intact with their tune, PPEI not so much. To me, PPEI is to big to care. I have a 08 Jeep GC WK with the 3.0 MB engine, will probably do a tune delete, I called GDE to ask about the tune because PPEI dosen't do them anymore, then the conversation drifted to the Ram, after that visit, When I do another one, as of today I would go GDE. Its more about service I guess. I have learned a lot about tunes since then and am better educated now.
I just wanted to hear your responds to my question, I have contacted GDE as well and have been impressed with them also.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I just wanted to hear your responds to my question, I have contacted GDE as well and have been impressed with them also.
you won't be disappointed. I wish I had the $ at the time that I did the hot tune to also do the gde transmission tune, but I'm saving up for that and maybe in a few months I'll get that done also. I'm not happy with the stock shifting pattern, it's sluggish, undecisive which gear it wants, and just takes too long to shift. GDE has a proven track record and is so many people have it and all love it, there's got to be a reason.

Usually people come on these forums to complain about problems and find solutions, but everytime you ask someone about GDE, it's hard to find any complaints (other than "I wish I got it sooner!!)

Do what's best for you, just do your research first, it's a lot of $$ and you don't want to be paying twice because you find out later that you didn't like what you got and switch to something else...

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Sure wish I could do the GDE. I wish they’d cough up the cash to pay off CARB. Better yet, I wish FCA would use the tune.
Many have said they have taken there GDE equipped rigs in for smog tests and passed. So I don’t understand why CARB and EPA are against this.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
you won't be disappointed. I wish I had the $ at the time that I did the hot tune to also do the gde transmission tune, but I'm saving up for that and maybe in a few months I'll get that done also. I'm not happy with the stock shifting pattern, it's sluggish, undecisive which gear it wants, and just takes too long to shift. GDE has a proven track record and is so many people have it and all love it, there's got to be a reason.

Usually people come on these forums to complain about problems and find solutions, but everytime you ask someone about GDE, it's hard to find any complaints (other than "I wish I got it sooner!!)

Do what's best for you, just do your research first, it's a lot of $$ and you don't want to be paying twice because you find out later that you didn't like what you got and switch to something else...
I have talked to the staff at GDE, I will be getting their ECM tune after labor day. Some people are keeping their stock ECM and replacing it to return their truck back to the dealer for warranty work. That's more than I can afford so I contacted GDE and asked them if they could tune my stock ECM and return it back to me. They said yes. They have a exchange program, you send them your stock ECM and they ship you a tune ECM. I prefer to get my original ECM returned back to me. I have been told that the ECM is a over the counter part ( No VIN ON ECM ) so it won't matter if you exchange your ECM with another one. But since I can not afford to keep my stock ECM and buy a tuned ECM , I will just tune my stock one and keep it. I will just feel better, also I have been told that the GDE tune can not be detected by the dealer. I will just take my chance with my tune stock ECM.
\

John

Nov 13, 2015
I think you will be happy and if the dealer ever overwrites the GDE tune, you can get it put back on for 50 bucks. The exchange program is actually a great way to do it with no time down. They will send you one and after swapping you send back yours. There's no difference between yours and the one they would send unless you think yours will be newer/better condition or something like that.

In any case congrats on your new tune and let us know how you like it.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I think you will be happy and if the dealer ever overwrites the GDE tune, you can get it put back on for 50 bucks. The exchange program is actually a great way to do it with no time down. They will send you one and after swapping you send back yours. There's no difference between yours and the one they would send unless you think yours will be newer/better condition or something like that.

In any case congrats on your new tune and let us know how you like it.
I will be sending out my ECM to them after Labor Day.I will update the site about how well I like or dislike the new tune.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I will be sending out my ECM to them after Labor Day.I will update the site about how well I like or dislike the new tune.
I don't think you'll dislike it. I drove down to see them and also used my stock ECM. Took my chances with warranty.

First think I noticed when I left was dam, she moves when I want her to move. Never did that before, there was always a 2-4 sec lag with stock. Also I can now hear the turbo whirl which I could never hear with stock, starts to sound more like a diesel :) :)

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I don't think you'll dislike it. I drove down to see them and also used my stock ECM. Took my chances with warranty.

First think I noticed when I left was dam, she moves when I want her to move. Never did that before, there was always a 2-4 sec lag with stock. Also I can now hear the turbo whirl which I could never hear with stock, starts to sound more like a diesel :) :)
Tks for the info.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
The AEM messes up both the engine and the transmission tunes. Especially if you tow get both tunes. Also add the turbo brake feature it’s outstanding. Put with the factory TBC in the mountains is worth its weight in gold. While you are getting this stuff you might consider adding the new thermostat while you are at it. Lower temps and a slightly larger mouth for a little more volume. The cost of all three easily covered by AEM settlement check.

Also If you have a Big Horn the grill is restrictive. I swapped mine for the Honeycomb style from an SLT and it helps when towing.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
The AEM messes up both the engine and the transmission tunes. Especially if you tow get both tunes. Also add the turbo brake feature it’s outstanding. Put with the factory TBC in the mountains is worth its weight in gold. While you are getting this stuff you might consider adding the new thermostat while you are at it. Lower temps and a slightly larger mouth for a little more volume. The cost of all three easily covered by AEM settlement check.

Also If you have a Big Horn the grill is restrictive. I swapped mine for the Honeycomb style from an SLT and it helps when towing.
Thanks for the info, I consider you the high mileage king. I thank you have the most miles on your truck out of ANYONE that I have read about on this site and all other sites combined.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year

Do you have a picture of the grill? I have the big-horn edition, but in canada, we don't get the warm temps as often, but when we do, it does seem to run a little hot...

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
I don’t just look at any Tradesman or SLT. Same grill except SLT adds chrome around the edge and over the cross hair.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
the only one is Kory Willis and he was shut down by the epa their is no one left in usa that shuts down the egr completely u have to go to Canada 2 get a real tune