• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best Engine Tune

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
the only one is Kory Willis and he was shut down by the epa their is no one left in usa that shuts down the egr completely u have to go to Canada 2 get a real tune

Sofaking offers a tune that allows the egr to be unplugged and removed. I’m not quite sure why you keep saying go to cananda Carl.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I don't think EFILive (IE: https://www.efilive.com/) covers anything EcoDiesel related as far as I know.. including the "flashing" part..

Here’s the link. I actually spoke to these folks on the phone. Nice bunch.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Sofaking offers a tune that allows the egr to be unplugged and removed. I’m not quite sure why you keep saying go to cananda Carl.
mainly I like the people in Canada they r cheaper and offer cleaner tunes we have spent thousands of dollars with them we just don't buy eco tunes most of the business is with ford tunes we were buying a lot from thoroughbred diesel they got closed down plus others we were doing business with got closed down the only one left doing business is sofa I don't trust them period one u buy what u want they send it 2 u u hook every thing up make a phone call download the program u want 2 your phone then download every thing to the tuner the tuner downloads current program 2 your phone then loaded the race programs 2 your truck takes about 20 min

Last edited:

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
mainly I like the people in Canada they r cheaper and offer cleaner tunes we have spent thousands of dollars with them we just don't buy eco tunes most of the business is with ford tunes we were buying a lot from thoroughbred diesel they got closed down plus others we were doing business with got closed down the only one left doing business is sofa I don't trust them period one u buy what u want they send it 2 u u hook every thing up make a phone call download the program u want 2 your phone then download every thing to the tuner the tuner downloads current program 2 your phone then loaded the race programs 2 your truck takes about 20 min
To me the opportunity to have a touchscreen that flashes the darn truck in my driveway is much more convenient than swapping ecm. Money is penny’s when you sit down and crunch numbers. I spent around 1100 with sofa for 1&2 engine tune and trans tune and 400 on my egr delete kit and the exhaust delete pipes. 1500$ total. If you want to truly compare it to hd without the transmission tune it’s 700$ plus 250 if you want the touchscreen which isn’t required just makes it easier. So you would only be in it 1350 AND that includes the price of egr block off and dpf straight pipe. Hd doesn’t look like they include the block off stuff for the egr AND you don’t get trans tune with hd for 1300$ Us converted. I’m not saying they don’t offer or provide it but at first glance I see an ecm tune and exhaust pipe and a cute little red cover for my obd port. So your still left spending another 100$ For the egr delete somewhere else plus hd charges import taxes and other bullshit to get to America. To each his own though I just truly enjoy the fact that I can do it all from home. Yes they take some time to develop and send your tune, yes communication is sometimes slow but I have yet to find a question they couldn’t answer or an email they haven’t replied to in a timely manner. My egr is shut off and blocked off just as advertised so the tune does work. Cleaner tune? Not sure at this point in time. It’s all dirty shit. I work on oil furnaces all the time and even when they are set perfect soot still accumulates.

JimmyD74

Dec 25, 2019
Truck Year
I also have GDE, like Ram For Life said, one of the reasons I went to GDE was reputation and years on the market. GDE has been around quite a long time, and when I did my homework on the different tunes, I have a difficult time finding any complaints about GDE. I got it for a few reasons.
i) REGENS was a concern to me, as my truck (stock) was going into regen every 150-250 km. This uses up more fuel lowering fuel economy, and unburned excess fuel from a regen could have the potential of contaminating the oil. I looked at is as every 10,000 km I changed my oil so the oil had about around 60-68 regens happen during it's life-span, which increases the possiblity of fuel dilution. With an already troubled motor prone to lower end bearing failure, I didn't need to give the truck any more reasons to blow a motor. NOW - with GDE, my regens occur every 1200 km give or take, so that's 9 regens / oil change which is a dramatic difference.

ii) I wanted to turn OFF the soot making EGR which was contaminating my intakes, plugging my MAP, and choking my swirl valves. At the time, my truck was still fairly young, 55,000 km, and the soot wasn't crazy like some have posted, but it was definitely accumulating and I didn't want the problem to get worse over time.

iii) I hated the stock lag when you jump on the highway and the truck didn't move!! GDE gets rid fo that.

iv) MPG has definitely improved, not only on highway, but city also! In the city, with stock, I was averaging around 10-10.5 L/100 km, with GDE I average between 8.5-9 L/100 km.

v) I like to buy things based on many many positive reviews and with GDE being around for so long, there were lots of happy customers. I also do google searches for GDE COMPLAINTS, GDE problems, etc to see what comes up. People will always complain when unhappy.

vi) In ontario, they just scrapped the emission testing so I"m good until the next government gets voted in (4 years...)

Do your homework, find out what works best for you, depends where you live, what the epa rules are, do you have emission testing, what do they look at, ask lots of questions, pm guys that have different tunes, some will tell you the good and the bad, etc?
I also live in Ontario, I have a couple of questions. You said the truck regens every 150 - 250 km... is that 150000km or just 150km Because I previously owned a 2015 traded it in at around 60000km ,the truck did not do a regen once. I now own a 2018 limited. It has 35000km , has not done a regen.... you also said you got gde tune at 55000km. Doesn't the tune void your warranty?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I also live in Ontario, I have a couple of questions. You said the truck regens every 150 - 250 km... is that 150000km or just 150km Because I previously owned a 2015 traded it in at around 60000km ,the truck did not do a regen once. I now own a 2018 limited. It has 35000km , has not done a regen.... you also said you got gde tune at 55000km. Doesn't the tune void your warranty?
If the regen process is working properly, the end user (the driver) is not suppose to know it's actually in "regen". So, yours completed the process many times, but it worked as expected and you simply didn't notice the regen process.

rhirshberg

Dec 23, 2019
Truck Year
I have the GDE tune here in California and recently had to have an emissions (smog) test. It passed. Funny thing was the tech warning me while he was running the test not to get a tune because then in the future it wouldn't pass.
I thought GDE will not sell if you are in CA - I am in CA and would like to do it....

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Yes, if you run alfa or torque pro apps with an obdii scanner, you can track your regens, if not, be aware that they happen without you knowing very frequently. Hense the fires, you have exhaust temps going up to 1200F or higher during a regen so frequently with a stock tune, imagine a tiny crack spraying a mist of coolant into the hot exhaust in the egr cooler with exhaust gasses up at 1200F, that's well past coolant ignition point..

The only time you would know they happen is if the regen never completed due to the conditions, and the soot % got too high, 90%-100%, then you'll get a message on the evic. But yes, they happen a lot more frequently than you know. With a tune, I have logged the last 8 regens and they've occured every 1100-1200 km with gde.

yes it voids warrantee, but I still have a running truck, clean oil, significantly less regens, better fuel economy, better performance, so that's a chance I'm taking, worst case, I buy a used ecm and have it setup for my truck as a back up if I had to put in a claim.

JimmyD74

Dec 25, 2019
Truck Year
Yes, if you run alfa or torque pro apps with an obdii scanner, you can track your regens, if not, be aware that they happen without you knowing very frequently. Hense the fires, you have exhaust temps going up to 1200F or higher during a regen so frequently with a stock tune, imagine a tiny crack spraying a mist of coolant into the hot exhaust in the egr cooler with exhaust gasses up at 1200F, that's well past coolant ignition point..

The only time you would know they happen is if the regen never completed due to the conditions, and the soot % got too high, 90%-100%, then you'll get a message on the evic. But yes, they happen a lot more frequently than you know. With a tune, I have logged the last 8 regens and they've occured every 1100-1200 km with gde.

yes it voids warrantee, but I still have a running truck, clean oil, significantly less regens, better fuel economy, better performance, so that's a chance I'm taking, worst case, I buy a used ecm and have it setup for my truck as a back up if I had to put in a claim.
Thankx for the info 👍

Henge

Jan 4, 2020
Truck Year
I spoke to GDE last week.
They are having to summit to the EPA just like a manufacturer for approval of their tune.
Each submission cost $150k. He said they hope to be back in business soon if they don’t go bankrupt first.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, if you run alfa or torque pro apps with an obdii scanner, you can track your regens, if not, be aware that they happen without you knowing very frequently.
I know you can cause a regen with AlfaOBD but I didn't know we can track regens with it. Do you know what Alfa configuration gets to that ability? I track regens with my Edge monitor but would like to try Alfa as well.