• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When to use fuel additives

gt57mansfield

Oct 19, 2019
Truck Year
I just purchased my first diesel truck a 2017ecodiesel 3.0 at what point mileage wise can I start using diesel fuel additIves and what is the best brand

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
You can use them anytime. As far as the best, that will be at the opinion of everyone. I personally don't run additives, and luckily I've never had issues not running them.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I use a mix of Archoil ar6200 and Hotshots EDT. I add every fillup as preventative maintenance and keepig the fuel system and injectors clean. They all claim added MPG but I don't see it.

Those that use additives have their favorite and then there's those that don't use anything. As BoostN said, everyone has an opinion.

tereeves

Dec 29, 2019
Truck Year
I use a mix of Archoil ar6200 and Hotshots EDT. I add every fillup as preventative maintenance and keepig the fuel system and injectors clean. They all claim added MPG but I don't see it.

Those that use additives have their favorite and then there's those that don't use anything. As BoostN said, everyone has an opinion.

tereeves

Dec 29, 2019
Truck Year
When I was a company driver they had us use FPPF addative when it got cold. One 10oz bottle (usually <$9) treats 250g. My truck sat for 2 days in -20 temps & started Up OK. FPPF is also an injector cleaner. Usually, you'll only find it at truck stops.

Bullet

Feb 11, 2020
Truck Year
I used Diesel Service brand Diesel Kleen in my old GM 6.5 diesels for many years. I’m not sure about any mileage increase but I could hear the difference in the noise level coming from the engine. With the ultra low sulfur diesel that we have here I’m putting it in the eco if for nothing else to help lubricate the fuel system.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I use the OptiLube for added lubricity due to the dryness of Ultra Low Sulfur diesel, it also has a cleaning action. Have used Diesel Service products, BG products, Amsoil. Everyone will have a favorite. I prefer the OptiLube and BG. I do a lot of research and run Oil Analysis each oil change to monitor engine conditions. In the winter I use the OptiLube winter product for stabilization since not all of the fuel outlets sell "winterized" diesel just "winter blend".