• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Where to buy DEF fluid??

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
What fluid are you using? I see some at autozone and other car places. Just wondering if one is better than the other.

solarvic

Jun 28, 2015
Truck Year
Noticed last week that walmart has their own store brand def for 8.97 for a 2 I/2 gal container. I will probably try it when I need some.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
If you know of any tractor dealerships around you try them I sell Def for around 1.50/gal at my store

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
My tank was on empty I went to Sunoco in Buffalo NY near Walden Galleria mall cost me19.98 to fill it from
empty
At the island pump.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
That's not terrible....we don't have any local fuel stations with DEF in them yet about 45 minutes down the road to a bigger town

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
No I think it's great
Dealer wanted $22 for 2.5 gal in Ontario Canada
Parts store about $15
I think I put near 6. Something gal in for $19.98 at pump I think it was $2.85 a gal

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
For the 2.5's I sell them for $11 and in bulk it's $1.50 big difference is packaging if they don't have to package it you can get it a lot cheaper

shankscomp

Aug 12, 2016
Truck Year
It's funny... our local tractor dealership (I work for them) sells it for $1.70/gal... The truck stop down the road is at $2.88 per gal. Only difference is I have to have my own container for the dealership to pump into... Think I'll be buying 5 gallons at a time, just to have some extra with me in the back of the truck!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
It's funny... our local tractor dealership (I work for them) sells it for $1.70/gal... The truck stop down the road is at $2.88 per gal. Only difference is I have to have my own container for the dealership to pump into... Think I'll be buying 5 gallons at a time, just to have some extra with me in the back of the truck!
Keep in mind it has a shelf life. Around 1 year in the proper room temperature it's stored in if I remember correctly.

MBDon

Sep 14, 2016
Truck Year
The critical variable regarding DEF shelf life is the ambient average temperature. The following information is provided by Ford Motor Company:
Average ambient temperature is less than or equal to 50 degrees F / Shelf life is 36 months
Average ambient temperature is less than or equal to 77 degrees F / Shelf life is 18 months
Average ambient temperature is less than or equal to 86 degrees F / Shelf life is 12 months
Average ambient temperature is less than or equal to 95 degrees F / Shelf life is 6 months
Average ambient temperature is less than or equal to 104 degrees F / Shelf life is 2 months.

For example, the average ambient temperature here in Myrtle Beach, SC is 64 degrees. That should equate to a DEF shelf life or approximately 24 months.

You can Google your location to find the average yearly ambient temperature. Hope this helps.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The critical variable regarding DEF shelf life is the ambient average temperature. The following information is provided by Ford Motor Company:
Average ambient temperature is less than or equal to 50 degrees F / Shelf life is 36 months
Average ambient temperature is less than or equal to 77 degrees F / Shelf life is 18 months
Average ambient temperature is less than or equal to 86 degrees F / Shelf life is 12 months
Average ambient temperature is less than or equal to 95 degrees F / Shelf life is 6 months
Average ambient temperature is less than or equal to 104 degrees F / Shelf life is 2 months.

For example, the average ambient temperature here in Myrtle Beach, SC is 64 degrees. That should equate to a DEF shelf life or approximately 24 months.

You can Google your location to find the average yearly ambient temperature. Hope this helps.

Good find!

Diesel30

Aug 1, 2013
I hope that shelf life chart is rounding down because I'm certain more than 50% of owners in the south don't go through a tank of DEF every 6 months...I need to refill about every oil change (10k miles), that means that my truck is driving around with expired DEF in it most of the time.

Good point but your using most of the fluid and it stays fresher than sitting in a jug in your garage.

MBDon

Sep 14, 2016
Truck Year
cevans: Please consider that the chart refers to average ambient temperature. I live in the south (South Carolina), and even as hot as it gets there, the average ambient temperature is only 64 degrees. To have an average ambient temperature which shortens def life to 6 months, you would have to live in Arizona in the summer, where temps reach 112-115 during the day and drop into the 90s during the evening.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
I'm going to research this more myself. I bought a DEF tester and will test bottles that I have from more than one year ago vs bottles that are fresh. I'm guessing that the DEF chart is EXTREMELY conservative as it expects that the DEF will also sit in a car for 12-24 months in addition to the shelf time.

MBDon

Sep 14, 2016
Truck Year
CEVANS: For the average ambient temperature (which is what this chart is based on) to have the impact you suggest, you would have to be living in the desert area of the southwest. For example, in Phoenix, AZ....where it can get as hot as 115 to 120 degrees during the summer, the average ambient temperature in June is 91, in July is 95, in August is 94 and in September is 88. And even at those temperatures, shelf life would be longer than 6 months in that the average ambient temperature for the remaining months is significantly cooler. I think it's also important to remember that def does not go from good to bad overnight. When it begins to degrade, the result simply is that more def is required during the regen process. My point is that sometimes we worry too much about these kinds of things when in reality, we could simply relax and enjoying driving our ecodiesels.