• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

wifi hotspot?

Dingo Diesel

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone here use the wifi hotspot in their truck?
I have been using it for months. I live out in the boonies and the only internet available to me is through satellite or some other radio wave BS that costs an arm and a leg. Had satellite service years ago through Hues net and it was the worst. I also don't like being forced to sign a 2 year agreement and end up stuck with crap service like I had with huesnet. I kind of like the internet through the trucks hotspot, its not real fast but its 35 bucks a month with unlimited data with no contract. I understand its through Sprint. Anyway was wondering if anyone else uses it. Also when you see me on line I'm more than likely sitting in my truck or at the American Legion using the wifi there.

AzRamDiesel

Jan 2, 2014
Yea Hughes net is terrible. Never used it in the trucks. it's cool how far trucks are coming. If you've told people years ago truck would have internet they would laugh.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I used it one month but right after payment posted the uconnect representative informed me there was no coverage in my area. Nearest would be 2 hours away next major city Grand Forks MN/ND.

I was a bit upset. It does Work well there and to someone more localized it's probably well worth it but for me it was tragic.

Good to just buy the month if you're ever on a road trip though so passengers have internet for movies etc

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
I don't understand the advantage of the truck hotspot over one of the carriers portable hotspots.

Since you seem to have a Sprint signal available, you can get a portable hotspot for the same $35/month and take it into your house or your truck. Here's an example.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/wifi-on-the-go/#!/

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well positive and negative scenarios in comparing those products. The portable hot spot is going to provide faster speeds as it's 4g enabled and dedicated Service, but it's limited in data availability.

The truck is unlimited data but at 3g speeds. Even so, with a family heavy use streaming videos and games while on the go I could see the data limitations being an issue

Dingo Diesel

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
I have tried the mobile hot spots. I burn through the data to quickly. I don't think they calculate it fairly though because I don't download any music, movies or play games. just surf the forums, get on facebook and such.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
i dont know if anyone else has noticed, nut my truck has always shown 1x or 2x which is nasty horrible, so ive never even taken this into consideration. now i have been without my truck for the past 2 months, and i just noticed this week my logo said 3g! now i dont know what everyone elses has been saying, but thats a huge improvement for my truck. but 35 a month for unlimited at 3g speeds is a little more interesting than 1x or 2x.

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
I guess for someone in their truck all the time it's a decent deal albeit slow but most of us have data on our phones which can be turned into a hot spot. Most phone companies allow you to change your plans month to month so if one was to go on a trip you could bump it up for a month (or less) and then drop it back to normal once you're done using it.....plus it's 4g. I don't know about you but I've been traveling and living off my mobile data for 13 years and the difference between 3g and 4g is like night and day....it was difficult to use a lot of data with 3g simply because it was so slow.

Dingo Diesel

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
I have a 4g phone but where I live I only get 3g on my phone while at home. when I'm close to town I get 4g. My phone has limited data, once that is used the internet barely works.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I use my iPhone 6 plus, and mostly for Apple Maps. Work great, LTE speeds mostly or one below that. Never had overages with it. (5GB). We do have distracted driver laws and see people surfing/texting while driving, more dangerous than holding/talking on a phone. If I need to do more, when I am stopped at client or coffee shop, I can do the surfing there, mostly free WIFI and more options if you are a Shaw Internet client.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
...great we're getting spammed...