• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Winter MPGs.

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
This is my first winter with the ecodiesel. I've seemed to drop down a little on mpgs, but it's not really cold yet. How much (if any) difference do you guys realize in fuel mileage when it begins getting warmer? I guess I have let mine warm up more. Also, is there a great 'warm-up' requirement for the ecodiesel over the hemi?

Thanks.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
This is my first winter with the ecodiesel. I've seemed to drop down a little on mpgs, but it's not really cold yet. How much (if any) difference do you guys realize in fuel mileage when it begins getting warmer? I guess I have let mine warm up more. Also, is there a great 'warm-up' requirement for the ecodiesel over the hemi?

Thanks.
Well yes and no to the greater warmup time. Diesel's hardly generate heat at idle. Winter fronts help significantly.

I average out about 22 in the summer, maybe 19 in winter but I've got young children so I idle more heating up the cab than some people. And I'm at the Canadian Border in Minnesota so it's pretty cold climate.

I attribute fuel consumption more to leaving the truck at idle than I do outright decrease while driving

Diesel30

Aug 1, 2013
I usually see 3-4 MPG less on average due to winter. probably because a lot more idling to help heat the truck or keep the family warm.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Yeah blended fuel and more idle time definitely doesn't help mileage out. Modern Diesel engines usually have high idle functions that help ease the issue of washing down cold cylinder walls with excessive amounts of diesel fuel.

EcoDEric

Nov 19, 2016
Truck Year
Thank you all for the comments. I was just starting to notice the reduced mpg here in Northern Illinois. Any of you know where the plug for my block heater could be hiding? (Just had the EcoD for four months - have 20,000 mile on it, but have not researched the plug yet) Will get the winter bra (or whatever that thing is called) on this weekend.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thank you all for the comments. I was just starting to notice the reduced mpg here in Northern Illinois. Any of you know where the plug for my block heater could be hiding? (Just had the EcoD for four months - have 20,000 mile on it, but have not researched the plug yet) Will get the winter bra (or whatever that thing is called) on this weekend.
If you pull up the plastic shroud that's clipped to the passenger side fender from the radiator, it will be behind the passenger headlight housing if you have a factory installed Cable. No tools just pull the plastic and the one pin will pull through and you should find it

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Personally, I also found decreased mileage in my 08 Jeep Commander gasser. I think part of it is physics. Colder more dense air needs more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio from being too lean. Likewise, warmer air needs less fuel to keep the ratio correct. I also heard of the "big rigs" and people with turbos talking about "coking" of the oil and would let it idle to cool things down (respective term). I noticed long warm ups did not help my EcoDiesel warm up as quickly as using the remote start for as long as it takes me to walk to the vehicle (a minute maybe), then, driving it at a reduced speed without hammering it till it comes up to temperature. As far as the high idle function goes, on my 2015 RAM, it surprised me when I started it on a chilly morning, then, pushed the heat all the way to the hot setting and the idle increased. I was like "what"? Tried it again and that was the trick. Now, when I park the vehicle I push the heat to the max temp and get high idle immediately upon start up. My cousin said "you're making that up" until I proved it to him. He is a life-long Ford man and he made fun of me for buying a "Dodge" until he spent time with me in the RAM. He came away with a new attitude towards it!