• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Would You Buy Again?

mykee50

Jul 1, 2017
Truck Year
Hi Everybody, I recently totaled my 2016 Laramie EcoDiesel. I've read a lot of alarming posts about this engine over the last 6-8 months on here. My question is would you buy a 2017/18 if you had a chance? Is Chrysler still going to use this engine in the future? I loved my truck!

By the way I lived but the tree maybe not. They had to cut me out. This truck saved my life!!!!

Thanks, Mike
Ram resize.jpg

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Wow, glad you made it out alive.

I have a ‘15 with 56k trouble free miles on the clock. Would I buy again? Hard to say with such low mileage but so far my answer is yes. Only this time I’d change up the options. Add 3.92 gears, a longer bed, and anything but cloth interior. Oh and a nice pretty color instead of black. [emoji23]

Good luck whichever way you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
I would. Elk Grove CA dealership recently bought 192 2017 EDs and has great pricing of 18k under msrp. Like 38k for a daily loaded 4WD. You can now order 2018s with no major changes but will pay a lot more for it.

MY 19 EDs will have a power bump and will additionally be available in a new Jeep.

mykee50

Jul 1, 2017
Truck Year
I would. Elk Grove CA dealership recently bought 192 2017 EDs and has great pricing of 18k under msrp. Like 38k for a daily loaded 4WD. You can now order 2018s with no major changes but will pay a lot more for it.

MY 19 EDs will have a power bump and will additionally be available in a new Jeep.

Thanks everybody, Vern do you have a link or name to that CA dealership? Thanks again, Mike

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Mike,

Wow, what a crash. I hope you look better than your truck.

If you liked the Ram EC you should buy another. The deal that Vern mentions is unbeatable.

mykee50

Jul 1, 2017
Truck Year

WOW!! You're right about the Ram stock on the lot. I found 2 at what looks to be excellent pricing. Out the door is just over $43K on either one.
Thanks again for the heads up on this dealer. Just exactly what I'm after. I have to fly from Seattle to Sacramento and drive back but at this price it's worth it.

Thanks again, Mike

https://www.elkgrovedodge.net/mycars/favorites.htm?mycarsr=favorites-saved-cars

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Hi Everybody, I recently totaled my 2016 Laramie EcoDiesel. I've read a lot of alarming posts about this engine over the last 6-8 months on here. My question is would you buy a 2017/18 if you had a chance? Is Chrysler still going to use this engine in the future? I loved my truck!

By the way I lived but the tree maybe not. They had to cut me out. This truck saved my life!!!!

Thanks, Mike
View attachment 1535
As a professional first responder I have seen this before, with less than positive outcomes, glad you made it. Yes I would buy again, as matter of fact I already have, my wife's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Outland w/ED. My Laramie/Longhorn has been a wonder and that is saying a lot from a guy who has driven GM products most of his life. I still have my last GM a 95 Z71 extended cab with 399K on the original engine and drive train, I fully expect more of this RAM. Good Luck.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Careful gearhead there is a couple around here that might want to hang you from nearest tree for saying something like that. ;)

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Careful gearhead there is a couple around here that might want to hang you from nearest tree for saying something like that. ;)
LOL. You are correct, I try to tread lightly. After 39 years of marriage, 30+ years in the Fire Service, 30+ years as a machine shop owner, 20 years of professional motorcycle racing I don't know if I have any feelings left to hurt. That is not a challenge!
Really, there are too many variables involved in any system design and operational situations to point one finger at one cause of the reported engine failures. Drive cycles, maintenance, engine knowledge. Also servicing dealership is another issue. Service Tech experience and knowledge support base, TSB's. The dealers evaluation of issue to FCA, I know that if the dealer portrays customer as abusive, combative, unrealistic in expectations, FCA will respond accordingly. I have said before and will say it again, the servicing dealer is of primary importance in your warranty experience.
I have also stated many times my dismay at FCA's apparent denial and non responsiveness to customer issues. I have read engineering periodicals with articles written by FCA engineers which spell out the efforts and resolves for some of these issues seen on this and other boards but it is obvious that the resolutions are not making it out of Research and Development. The fuel dilution factors was one, out of tolerance QC was another, insufficient oil standard. On the oil, I had a discussion with a lower level FCA engineer who stated that the oil grade issue had been resolved with the TSB of Dec. 2016, when I told him that dealers where still arguing that it only applied to 2016 and newer he was amazed. Communication is the bedrock of all successful organizations. On Time part sourcing, no inventory of critical parts.etc.
Keep on truckin and keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down. (Old school enough?)

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Indeed we've chewed some of the same dirt. Not that I have your contacts or experience.

Customer choice of servicing dealers. Hugh for these things both in terms of troubleshooting & proper repair and in getting warranty coverage by Ram. Some techs game the system to get fat pay, for by warranty hours on stuff that likely didn't need to be done but the tech knows how to present the issue and that he can turn it much quicker than book paid time. Especially when business is slow or the techs workload is. Other techs don't understand diagnosis despite a schooling credential and should stick to changing tires. As you said Dealer evaluation of an issue to FCA & dealer experience in portrayal of customer/issue for warranty Hugh.

I routinely suggest when picking a dealership for servicing your ED to pick one who has a high percentage of their sales to trucks especially diesel. A VM certified tech and that generally smaller country dealerships with a more limited customer base where in they need repeat customers will take care of you better than a large city dealership where in turn em & burn mentality is more prevalent.

Kappy

Dec 30, 2017
Truck Year
I just bought a 2017. I love it so far. Of course it has like... 400 miles on it. I may change my mind after 40,000 or 140,000. Time will tell.

Juan Bello

Dec 4, 2015
Truck Year
I traded out of my ECO and went with the Titan. Mine only had a few small issues but reading the posts here freaked me out as my warranty was about to expire. Titan has good value and lots of power, but I do miss the MPG! I'm getting 15 in the City and 23 in the highway with a light foot. Hope you do well with your next purchase!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I traded out of my ECO and went with the Titan. Mine only had a few small issues but reading the posts here freaked me out as my warranty was about to expire. Titan has good value and lots of power, but I do miss the MPG! I'm getting 15 in the City and 23 in the highway with a light foot. Hope you do well with your next purchase!

Sorry to see you go. But thanks for the update. I would say your comments are pretty much inline with what I see as well.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I like the Titan and think it’s dam solid from what I’ve gathered, mpgs aside. Plus I believe it’s the most American built pickup truck on the market. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickD

Jan 3, 2018
Truck Year
Personally, I love my truck. However, if I were to do it again, I don't know what I would buy. I really wanted a Power wagon when I bought my truck, and still do. It would be a tough decision.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Truck and trans are 2nd to None, The power plant Mileage and power is awesome. The QC in Cento over the last 3 years will place this Motor on the shelve, The only way to save it is a complete roll over IMO. The EPA/DOJ case has not been resolved, Generally the longer it takes the more damage to FCA at sentencing.

Couple that with Fords New 3.0 powerstroke , Numbers just released.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Not likely... I'm speculating that FCA has something coming...We knew they would be flooding the Dealer lots with 2017...Eco...I'm waiting it out. Fait Power Technology has the skills and resources to Fix VM . Kinda sad FCA Train wreck the door of opportunity to grab the 3 year market share. Ford going to catch up real fast, If that Power plant becomes a hero.