• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Cooler leaking

KWC

May 19, 2017
Truck Year
Hello, I'm new to the group but glad to be here.

I really like my Eco but just got out of the dealer from having an overheating problem. Long story-short, the EGR cooler was leaking internally and had to be replaced. Coolant was being burned off so no external leak was present. At first the engine did not even show a code, so they replaced the thermostat. That lead to overheating again and this time a code appeared. Hope that is the end of it, I put anywhere from 500-1000 miles a week on this truck and need it to run!
KWC

KWC

May 19, 2017
Truck Year
I rolled into the dealer at 35,900.
KWC

KWC

May 19, 2017
Truck Year
Running good so far. Just had 4th oil change.
KWC

KWC

May 19, 2017
Truck Year
Gonna need tires now. Any input on a good set? I drive about 800/week mostly highway but some off-road during hunting season.
KWC

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Gonna need tires now. Any input on a good set? I drive about 800/week mostly highway but some off-road during hunting season.
KWC

BFG KO2's. Nitto Ridge Grapplers are getting popular as well.. Lots of good choices.

Randomtasc

Sep 22, 2016
Truck Year
i am having the same issue now, caught before it could overheat. wondering if i should continue with this truck or upgrade to a cummins? Thoughts?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
i am having the same issue now, caught before it could overheat. wondering if i should continue with this truck or upgrade to a cummins? Thoughts?

Depends on what you use the truck for. If you need to haul heavy, a lot, then a Cummins is for you. The EcoDiesel is for the casual towing on the weekends (7K or less on average).. At this point I'm not sure I could say I'd pull 7K all day everyday and expect it to live. But, that's just my thoughts.

I tow a jet ski and a utility trailer (sad I know!) , so I don't really "push it".

KWC

May 19, 2017
Truck Year
I love the Eco, but..... I need the MPG cause I drive a lot for work.
My next one will be the 2500 no doubt. If u don't need high MPG go Cummins!
They did fix the problem and no issues so far after an additional 9K miles.
KWC

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I love the Eco, but..... I need the MPG cause I drive a lot for work.
My next one will be the 2500 no doubt. If u don't need high MPG go Cummins!
They did fix the problem and no issues so far after an additional 9K miles.
KWC
@KWC did you make a call on what tires you're going with? As boost said the bfg are popular and available in factory sizes, otherwise going to an lt Tire gives you tons of options depending how aggressive you want. I'm a cooper guy, at3's are alright but noisy later in life when they cup, I have stt pro but they are loud and heavy. St Max is a little more highway orientated, similar to the nitto g2. Know a lot of guys around here with dynapro atm's that are pretty budget friendly.

Scott7091968

Aug 29, 2017
Truck Year
@KWC did you make a call on what tires you're going with? As boost said the bfg are popular and available in factory sizes, otherwise going to an lt Tire gives you tons of options depending how aggressive you want. I'm a cooper guy, at3's are alright but noisy later in life when they cup...
I replaced my original 20" tires with 275/65R20 Cooper At/W's.
These 65 series tires are 10 ply and are heavy but they wear well and are less likely to puncture than the 29lb Bridgestone 60 series SRA's that came on the truck. The original tires were great for fuel economy

Last edited by a moderator:

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
@Scott7091968 how do you like the atw and how many miles do you have on them? I was on the edge between the 4 season and going with the mt. (Stt pro). It was a very tough decision for me and I took a pretty good hit on MPG's for it.

bullet317

Apr 20, 2016
Truck Year
We just had our leaking EGR cooler replaced under warranty. Only 22000 miles on the engine. I hope this is the only problem we have. I really love this truck.

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
I'm having my cooler replaced next week. Is it the cooler that is leaking or is it the o-ring that presents the problem. I'm at 62,000 miles and out of the bumper to bumper warranty. They quoted me $2200 for the job. If it's just the o-ring that's the problem, I would guess that's going to be far less expensive.
I drive much the same as KWC; about 800 miles a week, mostly highway. Light towing on the weekends during hunting season.

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
We just had our leaking EGR cooler replaced under warranty. Only 22000 miles on the engine. I hope this is the only problem we have. I really love this truck.
Was the EGR cooler leaking coolant?

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
Has anyone replaced the EGR cooler on their own? I found a dealer that sells EGR coolers for under $400. I took a look at the cooler and it doesn't look like a difficult job.

skir

Oct 13, 2017
Truck Year
Thanks everyone for the input on the EGR cooler, I took my truck to the dealer yesterday and "suggested" that could be the issue with my Ram ecodiesel, they just kinda blew me off then called me back at the end of the day and told me they determined it was the EGR cooler and they were going to order part, may take 1 1/2 weeks to get parts plus time to do the job. They gave me a new Ram 1500 gas to use while mine is being worked on. I'm sure without all of your help and input my dealer would start tossing parts at it until they found the real issue. By the way being a 2014 Ram it has the 100000 mile warranty so it is covered.

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
Glad to hear they are supporting you. I have a 2015 with the same 100,000 coverage but they said it's not covered under powertrain. No rental, loaner or help paying the $3100 charge to replace EGR and EGR cooler. Any suggestions?

skir

Oct 13, 2017
Truck Year
I don't know, it seems that the warranty should be a bit more black and white, if exhaust or cooling systems are covered in the 100,000 miles it should be covered, I would sure spend some time and effort for repairs to at least the EGR being covered, call the factory rep, meet him at the dealership with the dealership service manager, do your homework on what is or should be covered so when you meet (remember who they work for, not you) you have a strong case.
skir