• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Failed ecodiesel

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Sitting here feeling a bit numb. EVERY time I think "I will buy her when the lease is up", I see more horror stories. Still wrestling with the $$ it costs for a 2500 with the Cummins, I bought the 1500 because it was easy to drive, was fairly affordable, and got great mileage. It is breaking my heart to think about it "betraying" me, or, having to give it up. REALLY starting to wish FCA had made the deal with Cummins for the 5.0 L t/d instead of leaving it open to Nissan..........

From what I'm reading, the fuel mileage isn't that good for those trucks. Plus, it's really a "1500HD" if you think about it.

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Add me to the dead engine list.......105,000 on a 2014.
Dealer quoted new long block.
Waiting for the dealer to let me know what caused it, but it sounded like loose connecting rods.
Sorry to hear that Kraylock...it has been about six weeks since my 2014 ECO was laid to rest with 144K miles on it. I decided to try something different and go "profession grade" ... still miss my ECO though... hope you are up and running again!!

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well I am encouraged today. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs to see what I got back. I will share mine with you.
Seems like a good report and I will be following up with another analysis at the end of this oil cycle jut before I change it.

Attachments

• 15 RAM 1500-170908.pdf
    144.4 KB · Views: 39

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
1,218 miles?

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Well I am encouraged today. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs to see what I got back. I will share mine with you.
Seems like a good report and I will be following up with another analysis at the end of this oil cycle jut before I change it.
How many miles are on the engine? Sorry if I missed it..

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Um, why on earth would you pay for two oil analysis samples on the same oil, and especially why would you send one in with only 1200 miles on the sample?

Folks, if that aint iron clad proof right there that this power plant has it's owners as nervous as a whore in church, then I don't know what is.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Um, why on earth would you pay for two oil analysis samples on the same oil, and especially why would you send one in with only 1200 miles on the sample?

Folks, if that aint iron clad proof right there that this power plant has it's owners as nervous as a whore in church, then I don't know what is.

A. Oil analysis seems pretty cheap to me.
B, I am no mechanic but it makes sense to have a sample of the oil early in its life cycle compared to the end of it's life cycle.
C. Mostly because I am "interested " in the results this being my first diesel truck
D. Since I own and very much enjoy the truck I would rather potentially identify any issues (if possible) so I don't end up bitter and condescending.

None of anyones stories have changed my driving habits or opinion.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You can't establish OA trends at 2K or less sampling, hold off 4-5K miles minimum.

Attachments

• 15 ECODIESEL 8 17 17.pdf
    23.6 KB · Views: 15

SJR

Oct 16, 2017
Truck Year
Another RAM 2016 blown up. 36,000 miles. Been in the shop for 3 1/2 months. Replaced engine. Broke down on dealership during test drive. Fuel leak. Fixed that and Broke down on them again during test drive. Some kind of electrical problem. Now waiting on them to map the fuel injectors. They will not map correctly.

Yea, these trucks have serious problems.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Everytime I spend 10 minutes reading this forum, I leave feeling like Gloria Allred kicked me in the nuts as hard as she could.

I so regret buying this vehicle. Odds are in my favor that I won't suffer catastrophic failure during my ownership; but it is impossible for me to escape the horse shit resale value compliments of FCA engineers. Never again....

longshot

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
Everytime I spend 10 minutes reading this forum, I leave feeling like Gloria Allred kicked me in the nuts as hard as she could.

I so regret buying this vehicle. Odds are in my favor that I won't suffer catastrophic failure during my ownership; but it is impossible for me to escape the horse shit resale value compliments of FCA engineers. Never again....

longshot

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
Idk what u are talking about. Its a great truck. No more problems than any other truck. Many diesels have the same stupid hoses near the turbo that fail.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Idk what u are talking about. Its a great truck. No more problems than any other truck. Many diesels have the same stupid hoses near the turbo that fail.

I agree a turbo coolant hose isn't the end of the world.

Most of us like our trucks and they are great unless you get a bad one. Unfortunately these trucks fail at a rate incomparable to industry standards.

No doubt with an average of over 200 catastrophic engine failures per month with only approx. 104, 000 engines produced the odds of failure is not looking good for ecodiesel owners.

longshot

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
I agree a turbo coolant hose isn't the end of the world.

Most of us like our trucks and they are great unless you get a bad one. Unfortunately these trucks fail at a rate incomparable to industry standards.

No doubt with an average of over 200 catastrophic engine failures per month with only approx. 104, 000 engines produced the odds of failure is not looking good for ecodiesel owners.

Please send the source of the statistical data you are quoting

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Dude, you are new here, which is great, thanks for joining. Just do a little reading on the ecodiesel forums and you will find all the evidence and links you need. No need to start challenging other members.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I don’t believe there’s been 200 engine replacements per month since this trucks inception. We’ve all seen the sheets Haul N Grass has posted. That number does not represent an average, nor does it prove anything really. Do you realize 200/mo is about a 7% failure rate? No way. It’s high for industry standards I’ll give you that. But not that high. I don’t think there’s anything wrong questioning it. Doesn’t mean it’s a personal challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John

Nov 13, 2015
I'm just going

Under a Freedom of Information Act, over 1000 emails were released from FCA.

This one in particular tells some of the story:

Attachments

• FCA Email Bearing Failure Calibration.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 82