• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unhappy with Performance after Emissions Recall Update

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
I had the update done and I had a serious lag 2 days later. My first thought was o no whats going to happen in winter. Much to my surprise the lag only seems to appear during warm up. I did drop 2 to 3 mpg average after the update, I added some FPPF to my last fill up as cold is in the forecast and gained 4 to 5 mpg average since. Average mpg has been 22 in this area until the update then it dropped to 19 until I added the FPPF now I am getting 24.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So I had the AEM flash done today. I was talking to the service advisor about the impending EGR recall. It appears my truck is part of it. Apparently there will be a new EGR and cooler. Right now there are no parts available.
I haven’t driven much yet but my performance appears unchanged.
The only thing was my oil life indicator went to 0 and big red letters “change”. However when I cycle through the oil menu it still says how many miles (6490 in my case) since the last change.
I will be installing my GDE tune this weekend along with a fresh oil change. After the EGR replacement I will install the SFT transmission tune I recently purchased. Also going to try to get my intake cleaned at the time of recall.

CMvet

Nov 1, 2019
Truck Year
Got my '15 gc back today after the aem update. Only driven about 100 miles so far, but fuel mileage seems to be the same (averaged 27mpg over that 93 miles with mix highway/city). However, the cold engine lag was real. When i first picked it up this morning, I tested it at the stop light. What used to be an approximate 1s turbo lag with cold engine is now about 3 seconds. Once the engine is warm, I never noticed any lag before. Now I have about a 1s lag. I find that if you try and just mash the accelerator it makes it worse. If i slow and steady the peddle, I don't notice it, but acceleration overall is then slower. I didn't notice any change with the transmission or shift points even when going up inclines, including steep ones. Easily did 70-75mph up a steep incline (santa susana pass in CA) and stayed in 8th gear the whole time. As it is my work vehicle, I carry about 500 pounds of equipment in the back at all times.

Will see how it does over the next few weeks fuel wise, or if any lag changes and report back.

Also, I spoke with someone (sales department) over at Banks today and asked them about the derringer tuner and he flatout said it would not change the turbo lag issues unfortunately. So I may have to see if SFT is still available in california. Just curious if anyone who has been using it for a while has run into any issues with flash counts and warranty issues?

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
So I had the AEM flash done today. I was talking to the service advisor about the impending EGR recall. It appears my truck is part of it. Apparently there will be a new EGR and cooler. Right now there are no parts available.
I haven’t driven much yet but my performance appears unchanged.
The only thing was my oil life indicator went to 0 and big red letters “change”. However when I cycle through the oil menu it still says how many miles (6490 in my case) since the last change.
I will be installing my GDE tune this weekend along with a fresh oil change. After the EGR replacement I will install the SFT transmission tune I recently purchased. Also going to try to get my intake cleaned at the time of recall.
I think eveyone should demand the intake be cleaned while they are in there. when did you buy the GDE tune? i need it but they stopped selling it for now to US customers.

kbecker

Oct 27, 2019
Truck Year
Heard back from the law firm , they asked my permission to send my information to the DOJ and my VIN number. I also got my settlement check today, now I have to figure out what to do. Will wait a while and see if a fix comes, in the meantime I guess pay off the truck.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I think eveyone should demand the intake be cleaned while they are in there. when did you buy the GDE tune? i need it but they stopped selling it for now to US customers.
I purchased mine in late Sept. I think. It has been sitting in the garage waiting for the AEM. I changed oil today and installed it. The installation was easy and took less time than the oil change! Followed the directions and had to drive for about 30 miles or so for the REGEN message to go away. The truck seems to run great. Now to get the SFK transmission tune in! Will probably use the settlement money for new tires and a leveling kit.

rdyer777

Nov 11, 2019
Truck Year
Bought my Eco used less then a month ago and found the recall notice. I called my local dealer and asked about it. He told me NOT to do it at this time because of all the performance issues and to contact him in 6 months to see if they’ve addressed the problem.

Dan Dement

Mar 4, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi Guys,

Same thing here! Loaded 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit with 27,000 miles. Had the update done in May, and just got the Check after many, many delays on 11/10. The Turbo Lag is unbearable and dangerous. I tried to sell Car to friend who really wanted it as it is a cream puff but can not get over the poor drive ability.. With all the EPA threats on Diesel Tuning, I am unsure who will tune it. Been to the local Jeep and they look puzzled about the lag. I know Jeep is coming back with the Diesel and had to improve the tune or no Diesel Jeep would ever be sold again. I am unsure what to do but have to do something!! Suggestions Welcome. Thanks Dan Dement 210 262 6608 cell

CMvet

Nov 1, 2019
Truck Year
Hi Guys,

Same thing here! Loaded 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit with 27,000 miles. Had the update done in May, and just got the Check after many, many delays on 11/10. The Turbo Lag is unbearable and dangerous. I tried to sell Car to friend who really wanted it as it is a cream puff but can not get over the poor drive ability.. With all the EPA threats on Diesel Tuning, I am unsure who will tune it. Been to the local Jeep and they look puzzled about the lag. I know Jeep is coming back with the Diesel and had to improve the tune or no Diesel Jeep would ever be sold again. I am unsure what to do but have to do something!! Suggestions Welcome. Thanks Dan Dement 210 262 6608 cell
Well. Unfortunately only a few options at this point.
1. Do nothing and wait and hope FCA comes out with a better update to correct acceleration lag (not technically turbo lag as the software delays engagement of the turbo intentionally). Deal/anticipate cold-engine acceleration issue, but take comfort you are covered by warranty should anything go wrong, including possible engine fires that have cropped up following AEM update. (i feel there has got to be an update/fix in the works, problem is how long will it be until it's available).
2. Tune it, improve all aspects of performance, longevity of engine and drive til it falls apart. Don't expect any warranty coverage and be prepared to pay for any needed parts/repairs out of pocket. Reflash as needed when going in for service/warranty work and hope you have a really nice dealership you use that might be tune friendly and not watch flash count too much. Take the warranty work they do until they just say no.
3. Sell it, take the monetary hit, move on to something more enjoyable.

Dan Dement

Mar 4, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
Well. Unfortunately only a few options at this point.
1. Do nothing and wait and hope FCA comes out with a better update to correct acceleration lag (not technically turbo lag as the software delays engagement of the turbo intentionally). Deal/anticipate cold-engine acceleration issue, but take comfort you are covered by warranty should anything go wrong, including possible engine fires that have cropped up following AEM update. (i feel there has got to be an update/fix in the works, problem is how long will it be until it's available).
2. Tune it, improve all aspects of performance, longevity of engine and drive til it falls apart. Don't expect any warranty coverage and be prepared to pay for any needed parts/repairs out of pocket. Reflash as needed when going in for service/warranty work and hope you have a really nice dealership you use that might be tune friendly and not watch flash count too much. Take the warranty work they do until they just say no.
3. Sell it, take the monetary hit, move on to something more enjoyable.
Thank you for the reply. I have a call into the Service Manager and going to start a “build some repore” relationship with him. I have bought over 20 vehicles from the family owned dealerships. I think it is time to complain to Jeep Factory Rep and talk nice and try to get more than going into A.H. Mode. It is “Tune Time” In Texas! I should have never done the $3,000 rebate and just sued them! I will keep the Forum informed. Thanks for the help!

Dan Dement

Mar 4, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
Ordered the Sofa King Tune for Trans & Motor today. Hope it solves the problems created by EPA & FCA!

Reactions: CCW

CMvet

Nov 1, 2019
Truck Year
Ordered the Sofa King Tune for Trans & Motor today. Hope it solves the problems created by EPA & FCA!
From everything I've read and peoples reviews it sounds like it does. I'm still not sure what the rational is for creating such a long delay before engaging the turbo. If fca would just remove that, or shorten it significantly, they would make 90% of the people happy.

Last edited:

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year
From everything I've read and peoples reviews it sounds like it does. I'm still not sure what the rational is for creating such a long delay before engaging the turbo. If fca would just remove that, or shorten it significantly, they would make 90% of the people happy.
If I were to hazard a guess it's probably because some of the worst emissions are during acceleration especially when the engine is cold and it is an area they had to address to be in compliance. I suspect it is more than just delaying turbo engagement. I bet they are also limiting the amount of fuel that can go the injectors during acceleration until the engine reaches a certain temp. Regardless of whether it is either or both - the solution provided in the AEM update is horrible from a drivability standpoint...

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year
Guess I'm a little surprised that Sofa King is still selling offering an ECM tune after the latest regulations on aftermarket products went into effect. I tried to purchase a GDE tune last month and was informed they couldn't sell one to me anymore. Let us know how the tune works for you.

stevei

Jun 10, 2019
Truck Year
I've had my Sofa King tune for a few months now, it's far better than the original tune! You're going to love it.

Doug Kilgore

Nov 21, 2019
Truck Year
I have the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel. I noticed the lag problem the instant I pulled out onto the open road after the update from Bonneville Jeep in Manchester NH. The vehicle is dead off the line and there is a 2-3 second turbo lag at all speeds. You end up giving more throttle than you want because the response is so delayed, and then you get a massive surge of full throttle which can be unsettling and make the vehicle unstable in a turn. Very scary to ride when my wife or kids are driving who aren’t used to the issue. Pulling out into busy intersections, even with a warmed up engine is a dangerous, white knuckle experience. The service department is sympathetic but says corporate has turned its back on their reports of complaints. I believe the so-called settlement documents should be voided by a new class action suit - the terms of the settlement and their ad materials and even their customer service voice response recording say that there will be no loss of power, no impact on drivability or smoothness, and no change in mileage. ALL of these are untrue. They have destroyed the drivability and joy of owning these vehicles. We’ve been scammed. Chrysler should be forced to buy back these vehicles. I’ll be trading mine in.. my 3rd and final Jeep.

Doug Kilgore

Nov 21, 2019
Truck Year
Are the SofaKing Tuned programs available for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel? Do they affect the accessories like the variable height air suspension, or, eco Mode vs SportMode shift points and suspnsion changes, etc?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Are the SofaKing Tuned programs available for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel?
Yes

Do they affect the accessories like the variable height air suspension, or, eco Mode vs SportMode shift points and suspnsion changes, etc?
You need to ask SFT