• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2019+ ecos issues and more

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
Hello! new here, i just bought a 2019 Eco-diesel. I have been reading a lot about the past engines and issues. But the details for these generations and the changes are very hard to find and even Wikipedia doesn't have much info on them.
I hoping this new thread will include peoples posts of experience, details on engines, tunes, and generational advantages and disadvantages. Please post your knowledge!

what generation is my engine? 3rd? what years are the generations and differences?

upcoming tunes for the 2019 version? C.A.R.B. legal tunes?

anyone having towing issues?

what about that smell of burning plastic? common?

again, I switched from a Silverado based on price and economy/love diesels. hoping we can get the most info to make these trucks worth keeping. We all know that some people on forums speak out of their asses, so keep the information viable and reliable.
:D
-Shawn

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome! A few companies are working on emissions complaint tuning, but it's going to be a bit.

I'd start by reading around here as we have tons of info!

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Hello! new here, i just bought a 2019 Eco-diesel. I have been reading a lot about the past engines and issues. But the details for these generations and the changes are very hard to find and even Wikipedia doesn't have much info on them.
I hoping this new thread will include peoples posts of experience, details on engines, tunes, and generational advantages and disadvantages. Please post your knowledge!

what generation is my engine? 3rd? what years are the generations and differences? 3rd generation is in 2020's not 2019 there are several you tube videos on the differences!

upcoming tunes for the 2019 version? Sofa King Tune or Tune from Canada C.A.R.B. legal tunes?

anyone having towing issues? my 2015 tows 5000 lbs all the time with no issues

what about that smell of burning plastic? i get a slight odor during a regency common?

again, I switched from a Silverado based on price and economy/love diesels. hoping we can get the most info to make these trucks worth keeping. We all know that some people on forums speak out of their asses, so keep the information viable and reliable.
:D
-Shawn

Others will probably chime in with more info and welcome!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The Engine was develop for GM Caddy sold in Europe, it was Joint venture GM/VM it was ready for production 2006, the Auto financial Bubble burst in 2008 and GM sold its ownership to Penske / Detroit, It change hands to Fait bought ownership of VM and eventually took complete ownership in late 2010, I left out all the deatils.

The 2014-2019 is the same engine they all suffer the same Problem QC and inadequate AECD. IMO the Tone Crank/Ring is pathetic.

It seems to do well in Hwy use. Grocery getting will cause EGR/Intake problems $$$

I also would recommended do your research before BUYING.

The 2020 Engine IMO will not Fare any better in long term ownership, the Dual EGR has been develop by other Makers and dropped.

This engine follows Europe's history of over engineering and under develop.

The Engine does well in Europe when ask to power 3200Lbs- cars. 6000lbs Pickups WTH.

I also own several personal and construction trailers, My eco (Sold) did NOT perform well at 6500Lbs+. Yes I read all the weekend warriors comments on How well it pulls 7500Lbs+ and how great the mileage is. My rebuttal is pull that same wagon with 2500/3500 and then back to the Eco you will Not like the Eco compare to the correct pulling Unit.

Its this simple the driver has a big impact on pulling, its the stopping and Wind the driver has no control over, Trucks that weight in at 7500+ will stop and be more controllable in Emergency situations than any 1/2 Ton Gas/Dsl.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
The Engine was develop for GM Caddy sold in Europe, it was Joint venture GM/VM it was ready for production 2006, the Auto financial Bubble burst in 2008 and GM sold its ownership to Penske / Detroit, It change hands to Fait bought ownership of VM and eventually took complete ownership in late 2010, I left out all the deatils.

The 2014-2019 is the same engine they all suffer the same Problem QC and inadequate AECD. IMO the Tone Crank/Ring is pathetic.

It seems to do well in Hwy use. Grocery getting will cause EGR/Intake problems $$$

I also would recommended do your research before BUYING.

The 2020 Engine IMO will not Fare any better in long term ownership, the Dual EGR has been develop by other Makers and dropped.

This engine follows Europe's history of over engineering and under develop.

The Engine does well in Europe when ask to power 3200Lbs- cars. 6000lbs Pickups WTH.

I also own several personal and construction trailers, My eco (Sold) did NOT perform well at 6500Lbs+. Yes I read all the weekend warriors comments on How well it pulls 7500Lbs+ and how great the mileage is. My rebuttal is pull that same wagon with 2500/3500 and then back to the Eco you will Not like the Eco compare to the correct pulling Unit.

Its this simple the driver has a big impact on pulling, its the stopping and Wind the driver has no control over, Trucks that weight in at 7500+ will stop and be more controllable in Emergency situations than any 1/2 Ton Gas/Dsl.

Awesome information, which i already gathered but thanks! It definitely is no Cummins by any means....but the fuel mpg is great. I am going to use it to tow my chevelle this weekend so we will see how she handles in the canyon pulling...
And for the years I do believe there are now 3 or 4 generations of this motor repeated from FCA website. Im looking for more details on the engine and changes that were made thru the generations, if any. I have done research on this truck and the forums are of course a lot of "hear say" but every now and then you get someone who has a tremendous amount of knowledge from personal situations. I was a LS swap guy, done a few in different model vehicles and still do. My chevelle is LS swapped. But! I have always loved diesel motors and the potential they have for being reliable and powerful. I think once the small kinks are figured out on the ED, and the amount of knowledge laid out online like the LS motors or Cummins, it will be a true beast. The more people chimming in on the engine and fixes will help everyone.

**PS: opinions are not always solutions. whether you hate it or not, the goal here is to learn and fix/maintain the vehicle. at least it is for me.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
Welcome! A few companies are working on emissions complaint tuning, but it's going to be a bit.

I'd start by reading around here as we have tons of info!
Definitely reading as much as I can. Thanks! also, because of the year model, does these companies have to re-apply for the abilities to tune/build parts/aftermarket stuff every year? or group all year models in if the engine is similar?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Shawnmowers, Myself and many others believe that FCA had 4 Years to correct the QC at VM Cento.

Their are 4 Generations of Dodge Ram, Some consider the 2019+ to be 5thGen, I don't Not enough change for 5th, late 2020 early 2021 The New 6.7 will be out and considered 5th Gen.
1st Gen 1989 to 1998.5
2nd Gen 1998.5 to 2002
3rd Gen 2003 to 2007 5.9 ,2007.5 to 2009 6.7
4th Gen 2010 to Current

The ecodiesel is 4th Gen 3.0VM.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
Shawnmowers, Myself and many others believe that FCA had 4 Years to correct the QC at VM Cento.

Their are 4 Generations of Dodge Ram, Some consider the 2019+ to be 5thGen, I don't Not enough change for 5th, late 2020 early 2021 The New 6.7 will be out and considered 5th Gen.
1st Gen 1989 to 1998.5
2nd Gen 1998.5 to 2002
3rd Gen 2003 to 2007 5.9 ,2007.5 to 2009 6.7
4th Gen 2010 to Current

The ecodiesel is 4th Gen 3.0VM.

So you're saying because of the body generation, its 4th gen? I'm wondering if the engine itself is second gen (like the cummins 5.9l went thru several generations)

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No, 2014-19 have only minor changes 2016-2019, 2014-15 Same engine.

Even with all the Changes the 2019 Cummins has was NOT enough for 5th Gen.

No decision has been made on the 2020 Eco New engine, Body, I think it measures up to 5th Gen 1/2 Ton.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
Update on my truck, first 1000 miles:
-Burning plastic smell went away. I had my first regen, it was minimal and during highway speed on a road trip. no issues reported.
-at 850 miles, towed my heavy 67 chevelle from paint back home thru the canyon (about 1k feet, down to the river to 150 feet back up to 1600feet within 6 miles total) and temps stayed within 3 degrees of no towing. only temp that went up really was oil. trans stayes at 186F. awesome!
-truck seems to be breaking in well. still slow take off. wondering more and more about that upcoming tune. very expensive! but if its cali - legal, I'm committing. It can use the power and assuming from the prior tunes, will help tremendously on longivity of engine, improving torque and fixing all of the little things.

Does anyone have any new updates to aftermarket CARB parts? has anyone leveled their trucks?

Ram19

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
Reading this thread is confusing to say the least, let's try to clear things up some.

First off, if your truck is a 2019 & has the ecodiesel then it will be what Ram calls the classic which will be the same body style as the 2014-2019 ecodiesels & not the redesigned newer body of the 2019-2020's. Being a 2019 classic it will have what Ram calls the generation-2 ecodiesel with the gen-1 engine being the one that was developed for use in European GM cars. Only the new 2020 Ram's have the gen-3 ecodiesel and they only started hitting the dealership lots in December of 2019.

If what you have is a gen-2 engine then any of the threads talking about the 2014 to 2019 trucks & engines should apply with the '17-'19 probably the most applicable to your truck & engine.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
Reading this thread is confusing to say the least, let's try to clear things up some.

First off, if your truck is a 2019 & has the ecodiesel then it will be what Ram calls the classic which will be the same body style as the 2014-2019 ecodiesels & not the redesigned newer body of the 2019-2020's. Being a 2019 classic it will have what Ram calls the generation-2 ecodiesel with the gen-1 engine being the one that was developed for use in European GM cars. Only the new 2020 Ram's have the gen-3 ecodiesel and they only started hitting the dealership lots in December of 2019.

If what you have is a gen-2 engine then any of the threads talking about the 2014 to 2019 trucks & engines should apply with the '17-'19 probably the most applicable to your truck & engine.

Thank you for that! now that that's settled, gen-2 for my classic 2019 is the engine and I can dig to find more on the changes.

So does that mean all of the "fixes" came out from factory for the gen-2 2019 from prior recalls?

Ram19

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
There has been several recalls & issues with the gen-2 engines. There are two biggies at present one being the emissions recall commonly known as the AEM and the one for EGR cooler replacement for coolant leaks. Being as your truck is brand new I would assume that neither of these will apply to your engine at present, but might in the future especially for the EGR cooler. The easiest way to find if there is recalls for your truck is to register it with the mopar owners site which is a factory site. Once you've done that you'll be able to log on to the site and see if there are any outstanding recalls for your truck. FCA will also mail you recall notices as they occur.

When you get to reading threads about the gen-2 engine do yourself a favor and don't get caught up in all of the negative stuff that's here and other sites about them. These sites are gathering points for all things negative about the ecodiesel & the problems associated with them. Keep in mind that there are also as many if not more happy owners who have put thousands of trouble free miles on their trucks. There's one guy here "verndiesel" who delivers new Airstream trailers with his and is probably the gen-2 high mileage king. You might be able to search his posts and see the great service he's gotten out of his 2014 gen-2 truck.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
There has been several recalls & issues with the gen-2 engines. There are two biggies at present one being the emissions recall commonly known as the AEM and the one for EGR cooler replacement for coolant leaks. Being as your truck is brand new I would assume that neither of these will apply to your engine at present, but might in the future especially for the EGR cooler. The easiest way to find if there is recalls for your truck is to register it with the mopar owners site which is a factory site. Once you've done that you'll be able to log on to the site and see if there are any outstanding recalls for your truck. FCA will also mail you recall notices as they occur.

When you get to reading threads about the gen-2 engine do yourself a favor and don't get caught up in all of the negative stuff that's here and other sites about them. These sites are gathering points for all things negative about the ecodiesel & the problems associated with them. Keep in mind that there are also as many if not more happy owners who have put thousands of trouble free miles on their trucks. There's one guy here "verndiesel" who delivers new Airstream trailers with his and is probably the gen-2 high mileage king. You might be able to search his posts and see the great service he's gotten out of his 2014 gen-2 truck.
Thanks again! There are a ton of negative threads, but I am also just trying to stay on top of the problems and to learn the engine in its whole. This engine makes the LS motors look elementary...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year

The Ecodiesel in Name only its Body style is 4th Gen, The Engine is the same 2014-19.The classic body ( name Only) is 4th Gen Body and is only used in the 1/2 model in 2019, their are NO 2019 3.0VM in the New Style Body, their ALL Classic 4th Gen, their is NO classic 2020, the 2500 and 3500 in 2019 are NOT called Classic simply 4th Gen.

If anyone applies the 2014-19 Body to 1st Gen Ecodiesel its news to Me and I have never heard of anyone referring to 1st Gen Ecodiesel and even if it was it would NOT supersede the prior generations of bodies

Ram19

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
Geesh TC you sure like to confuse things. My post was pretty clear yours was like reading through mud with confusing information that you need chest waders to navigate through.

FYI: VM motori & FCA is who refers to the first generation of this 3L diesel engine which was designed for use in European cars as the gen-1 engine. Granted it wasn't called the ecodiesel until FCA branded it that way for their use in the Ram & Jeep line-up's starting in 2014.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Diesel enthusiasts Like myself (Decades) take our history very ,very seriously. Fiat and VM have just about single handily Destroyed the 1/2 Ton Market.
Sergio Marchionne , Made the comment about the VM3.0 before he died, That if you believe that VM 3.0 is Violating CAA laws you must be smoking something Illegal.

Regardless of whatever Gen You want to call the VM 3.0 its over engineered ,under develop and over Here.

Statistically a BIG, BIG failure.

Now, rumor has it ,NO fix for the fires, Its just another lie (IMO) that the Leaking EGR cooler is the fire starter, Many have started rear and driver side.

So WHO's Smoking something Illegal ,My Guess the Italians at VM Cento while laughing at NA.

Ram19

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
Gosh I hope you feel better after that rant!

Slow down, take a couple of deep breaths, it will be alright the world isn't coming to an end because you think the Italians have made the worst diesel engine in history. Maybe you could find yourself a GM 5.7L diesel from the early 80's so you can see what a really bad diesel engine looks like.

I apologize to the original poster for your thread getting so far off track. I was just trying to help you with your original question about your new truck. I do truly hope that you enjoy your truck & have many happy trouble free miles with it!!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its was NOT a Rant.

The OP was asking for Dodge/Ram Gen History, I did Not comment on the Odor.

Ram19, I have 1200 Pages of contact info of VM/FCA/Fiat. That Mysteriously showed up in My VIA USPS Back in No 2017, I share just small segments of the Info Months (Before) *some* (After) the info was available publicly, It clearly stated 3.0 were failing at a rate of 250+ per-month Late 2015-2016

The OP ask for expriences, I'm Sharing mine.

I call it like it is, Ram19 You may have been educated in everything OK (Feelings) and apply it in your Life experiences does Not concern Me at ALL, When you promote I have to accept it ,be prepared for return Fire.

I received Monthly Phone calls from Eco Owners that are suffering financially, in owning the 3.0, One call yesterday His 3.0 has been siting for 2 Years it has 118K (CANADA) puke engine all the while making payments, Fiat denied OUT of Warranty coverage. Another in FL (Puked) denied, The FL Owner cannot afford to fix the Engine to even get the AEM $$$$ because its not running, He cannot sell it because He owes more then its worth. Both of these owners fell into the trap that Everything OK, Its NOT OK when it Happens to YOU Statistics don't count when your the unlucky one.

The OP with some precaustionary actions will aid in Ownership, Some call it ranting, I call it Protection.

shawnmower87

Jan 20, 2020
Truck Year
Its was NOT a Rant.

The OP was asking for Dodge/Ram Gen History, I did Not comment on the Odor.

Ram19, I have 1200 Pages of contact info of VM/FCA/Fiat. That Mysteriously showed up in My VIA USPS Back in No 2017, I share just small segments of the Info Months (Before) *some* (After) the info was available publicly, It clearly stated 3.0 were failing at a rate of 250+ per-month Late 2015-2016

The OP ask for expriences, I'm Sharing mine.

I call it like it is, Ram19 You may have been educated in everything OK (Feelings) and apply it in your Life experiences does Not concern Me at ALL, When you promote I have to accept it ,be prepared for return Fire.

I received Monthly Phone calls from Eco Owners that are suffering financially, in owning the 3.0, One call yesterday His 3.0 has been siting for 2 Years it has 118K (CANADA) puke engine all the while making payments, Fiat denied OUT of Warranty coverage. Another in FL (Puked) denied, The FL Owner cannot afford to fix the Engine to even get the AEM $$$$ because its not running, He cannot sell it because He owes more then its worth. Both of these owners fell into the trap that Everything OK, Its NOT OK when it Happens to YOU Statistics don't count when your the unlucky one.

The OP with some precaustionary actions will aid in Ownership, Some call it ranting, I call it Protection.
i APPRECIATE the concern as to myself being paranoid about the failure portion. AND being that I live in california....Having a CARB legal tune (egr/cooler) to allow me to drive the truck the way it should without any worries for the future. I understand I may be on either side of the statistics when owning this thing, but I am planning on worst case scenario. I dont want to be a statistic when it comes to reliability. so unless there is another way to cheat the system and delete the EGR, I will be waiting patiently for the CARB legal tune that GDE says is coming.

The OP i made is to learning everything about this design as well as possible. AND what to do to the truck for longevity. (along with the history of origin).